Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sneak Peek: GARAGE #16!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stoner, Sep 14, 2007.

1. Professor Fate

Professor Fate
    from the bay

true, true!

Thanks for the preview Stoner, looks killer.

2. JamesG

JamesG

Great cover shot my Brother.

3. zealot9802

zealot9802
    from SoCal SFV

Wow. Try using the internet for research instead of posting outta your ass.

4. Corvette64

Corvette64

Hes got a nice hat

5. so it was the nazi's on 9-11 now i get it

6. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

not that I really care, but if it was a Nazi flag on the wall.. that has certain connections to it that are very controversial.. regardless of what the swastika was before the nazi's... if it's a nazi flag, it's a nazi flag.. he didn't even say it had a swastika...

That aside.. the last issue was my first issue I bought... I read it cover to cover.. something I rarely do... great work stoner and crew... looking forward to this one.

One of the best things about it is it isn't another hot rod or car craft where you get "how to tune your holley" or "manifold comparison test" about 40 freaking times. It actually has stories and history in it!!

7. myke

myke
    from SoCal

Good mag.

This girl and the last girl are hot but I think they should be a little more hardcore myself.

8. Lil' Billy

Lil' Billy
    from Georgia

I'm baffled by your stupidity....:confused:

Anyways, looking forward to it Stoner. Looks like another great issue!

9. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

nazi flag????

ok,,i am in now way trying to change your opinon,,,but SWAZTIKAS have been a part of hardcore biker culture since world war ll....just like the gay ass skulls and flame stickers you have all over your rat rod,,,

Lil' Billy likes this.
  10. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

thanxs for your curage and serving in irac so we can stay free and do as we please

but personaly i think it would look better sticking up yer ass

Lil' Billy likes this.
  11. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

I wouldn't bet anyone hanging up a swastika in 2007 is thinking about it's prewar meanings. I have a nice prewar copy of "The Jungle Book" bound in red leather with swastikas on it. The spine has nothing but a swastika on so someone who doesn't pick it up, see what it is, and check the printing date could get the wrong idea. Too bad for them.

That said, it's pretty dumb to stop buying a mag because someone doing layout either wasn't PC enough or just didn't think about it.

It's one of the few "hot rod" mags out there that's worth reading and doesn't come off as if it were written by a bunch of grade schoolers. Worth buying just for that, and I'm big enough to ignore the bits of it that I think are stupid or offensive, nothing's perfect (what have you ever been 100% happy about other than your first peice of pussy?). Lighten up there guy and Stoner keep doing what you're doing.

PS: I'll second the carnitas and Bohemia!

Lil' Billy likes this.
  12. Church

Church
    from South Bay

Anxiously awaiting as usual.

Denny Millani drove my dad's fuel car at one time. Pops was still in college and hadn't gotten his license yet. He was driving for Gotelli at the same time. Glad to see you write something on him. He's sorely missed after his fatal accident. Legs under cars looked bitchin, but dangerous as all hell.

13. Goozgaz

Goozgaz

14. Stoner

Stoner

Hey, Gooz--wait till you see this issue--and thanks again, dood!! We had a blast and the only downside was that we had to come home on Virgin America instead of Air Gooz...

STONER

15. Stoner

Stoner

Hey, I'm gonna chime in here on this thing, because it brings up an important point:

One of the biggest reasons GARAGE exists is because I always thought that the magazines in our category were suffering from 'sameness.' I had a hunch that folks would be interested in what I knew was a much more interesting story BEHIND the car than just the car itself. Good, bad or ugly – GARAGE was going to report on exactly what was going on in, behind, away from or in spite of the actual garage. Throw some hotties in there for good measure and we had a magazine brewing.

Now, here's the thing: because I have so much respect for what YOU are doing out there, I'll never censor you. If you're building something amazing, I'm not gonna tell you to take down your naked lady posters when we come to photograph you. They're up on the wall for a reason. If you cuss or say some controversial shit while we're sitting on either side of a tape recorder, I'm not gonna forget to include that in the copy. And if you have a swastika flag or the Stars And Bars or Leather Nation or a Sickle-and-Hammer or rainbow stripes hanging from your shop ceiling, we're not gonna shy away from that.

I know you're not asking for advice, Grinderspark, but lemme drop some: when you see somebody doing something different, question it. But give that person a chance to answer your question before you pass judgement.

Same goes for GARAGE: question what you see in the magazine, but don't just throw it away--I personally guarantee you will be enlightened (even if just a little) with each issue. Better yet, do me the favor of giving me a call at the office if an image or a story in the magazine moves you in any which way--like I said: good, bad or ugly...

STONER

16. Some of those chicks move me in a good way.

17. Big Dirty

Big Dirty

SWEET!!! Sneak peek of #16 and I still haven't gotten my #15.......THAT RULES!!!!! Mine must be coming via pack mule........no wait, I'm only on the other side of the bay it would have been here already?????? Any chance I could get what I'm paying for? I've called twice and my patience is wearing thin......

18. Glen

Glen

I am still waiting for #15 also.......

19. Stoner

Stoner

As always, if you're having problems with your subscription, drop me a line directly at:

[email protected]

We'll get you taken care of. BUT--don't waste your time blasting us here on the HAMB! We can't do anything to help until you get in touch with us directly. And I'm not on this board often enough to get anything taken care of via the HAMB in a timely manner.

Oh and...

Attached Files:

20. Oggie

Oggie
    from Nor Cal

21. the-rodster

the-rodster

mmmmmmm.... twins.....

[​IMG]

22. That is one "HOT"seat cover!!;)

23. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

aren't those the chicks from the chuck and larry movie?

24. Eryk

Eryk

I dig the "no censorship" rule, Stoner.

Not to drudge up the issue again, cuz it seems like it's squashed...But I went back and looked for the article in question. I noticed the flag. It made me a little uncomfortable. I'm not a fan of the connotations it carries today. Then I looked a little more closely at the rest of his shop in the other photos. He has a Skinny Puppy poster! That immediately canceled out the negativity of the Nazi flag. Balance has been achieved.:D

25. Stoner

Stoner

Here's a little more balance from this issue:

Attached Files:

26. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Damn Stoner......looks killer so far!
    I dig your attitude towards showing how it REALLY is......
    shit, my uncle's place has a bunch of WWII Nazi stuff on display (and old Playboy centerfolds:eek: ), he collects it, it's HISTORY, doesn't mean he's a nazi.....

Is that Sammy Davis Jr?????:D

27. photofink

photofink

[​IMG]
    Its a GOOD thing I actually had a carnitas taco AND an ice cold Bohemia three days ago...otherwise I'd be twitchin'

28. gearjam1

gearjam1

Yep...I noticed the Nazi flag right away also... Didn't like it, but it's not my shop, and not my magazine. I also took it in context...I'm not gonna' stop buying the magazine because of it. But, the cool thing about sites like HAMB, is that we CAN voice our opinions.

There's always going to be something about a publication that SOMEONE doesn't like... There are even people out there that don't like having hotties on the cover... That's the cool thing about America...don't like it?... complain to the Editor, then go buy something else...

29. Stoner

Stoner

OhGAWD, you wouldn't believe what I've left on the table over the years because of the "girls" thing. But hey, my approach comes, in part, from being allowed to watch "Hee Haw" and "Dukes Of Hazzard" as a kid--I wasn't allowed to watch "CHiPs" or "Emergency!" or shows with guns and shit at all. Mom was a closet hippie. So, it was all cars and boobs for me...

Speaking of cars from this issue--when was the last time you saw Cole's '36 actually MOVING?

Attached Files:

30. Burgy

Burgy

just to help further clarify the swastika nonsense, since it helped clarify a bit for me, even though I knew its been around for centuries. I didnt know this;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika

ANYWAYS..

I picked up your guys' Girls Issue #2 after that I instantly got a subscription, in my line of work (railroader) I need lots of good reading, and when a Magazine offers, damn near cover to cover reading with little to no advertising inbetween articles, I'm impressed never mind the fact that it is Awesome reading as well. Keep doing what you guys do, it's awesome s**t.