Register now to get rid of these ads!

vintage cam guys - Brown Camshafts?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Nov 17, 2006.

1. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Does anyone know anything about Racer Brown Camshafts? Not even slightly familiar with these. Can someone tell me about them? Were they any good for Hemis?

Thanks!
    Scooter

2. Yes used by Mopar exclusively very good cam in its day

3. 2manybillz

2manybillz

4. 097

from California

Racer Brown was the pen name of an automotive journalist back in the 50's. He was very sharp with respect to racing.During the late 60'
    he started his own cam company.During the late 60's through mid 70's his grinds were quite popular.His old STX 21 grind was a standout...... Unfortunetly he is no longer with us and the company closed up years ago...... So if you find any RB cams they are old school pieces.Newer design lobes will out power the old stuff. But just because it's old doesnt mean it bad..... Not everyone wants or need the last HP that their engine can give..... Old RB stuff was good in it's day.

5. 097

from California

huh.... Looks like someone bot up the rights to his name and company.....I wasnt aware of that. Very Intresting.

6. My rail had a Racer Brown 43R roller in it in the early 60's. I was in touch with the guy who bought out Racer Brown's designs, tooling, etc. several years ago. Can't remember much except he tried to be very helpful. If I remember correctly he's located out east somewhere.

7. squirrel

squirrel

yup, isn't it strange how a combo that ran the number back then, will still run that same number today.

8. 097

from California

Squirrel,

I agree completely...... Just the other day someone was telling me I couldnt run the cam I was intrested in because it was too old school and the LSA was on a 108 and thats too tight and it wont idle.and since it's a solid ya have to adjust the valves every weekend ..yada yada yada .....Funny when I used it back then it ran strong and idled clean and I actually had adjust the valves once a year or so even with it as my everyday driver........ Some myths just never die and seem get even more misunderstood.

9. squirrel

squirrel

yup, you should see the looks I get when I tell the guys I'm gonna run the L-88 cam in the 427 I'm building for my 61.

10. Abomination

Abomination

Here's an email I sent to them a while back, and the response:

> -----Original Message-----
    > Sent: Saturday, October 21, 2006 6:58 PM
    > To: [email protected]
    > Subject: Racer Brown
    >
    > Are you the Racer Brown from Hot Rod Magazine?
    >
    > ~Jason

On 10/23/06 7:02 AM, "Don Gould" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Not familiar with the article, don't have time to read everything we are
    the Master Distributor for Racer Brown Cam Engineering and the company that designed the RB Rocker Arm system, what are you looking for Cam or Rocker Arm info?
    >
    > FBO Systems
    > 13730 SW Burlwood St.
    > Beaverton Oregon
    > 97005
    > 503-627-0728
    > www.4secondsflat.com <http://www.4secondsflat.com>

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Monday, October 23, 2006 7:24 AM
    To: Don Gould
    Subject: Re: Racer Brown

At the moment I'm not looking for anything in particular. I just saw the
    name, and remembered all the articles I read in 50s Hot Rod Magazines on
    Microfilm while in high school - all by a guy named "Racer Brown". I just
    wondered if there was a connection.

~Jason

On 10/23/06 9:31 AM, "Don Gould" <[email protected]> wrote:

Yes Racer Brown several years ago but his right hand man Jim Dowell bought the company from the family and moved it to Baltimore where it's smaller but thriving under Jim's direction.

Jim still grinds every cam personally, starts at 6am and grinds until 2PM,
    then he starts answering the phone and designing the best cam available in
    this market for Mopars Fords and Chevy's, although 60% or more of his
    business is still Mopar.

FBO Systems
    13730 SW Burlwood St.
    Beaverton Oregon
    503-627-0728
    www.4secondsflat.com <http://www.4secondsflat.com>

11. Abomination

Abomination

I thought it may be of interest. Hopefully it'll answer a few questions about their history.

~Jason

12. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

COOL! Good info! I didn't expect so many replies! sounds like it has a cool history.

I was looking at one with about 480 lift and 240 duration leftover from the good old days. It's an SP-3. That's a lot of cam for my motor though. It's a solid lifter cam also and I'm not sure I want to go that direction.

Thanks for the info guys!

13. Abomination

Abomination

No problem. If you can find Hot Rod on microfilm from the 50s, Racer Brown is a great read!

~Jason

14. I am an experienced user of Racer Brown cams. It is an old name and because of that some people call it old technology but some of his grinds like the ST-H-42 have no peers even today. Most of my experience is with BB mopar with these cams and they will whip anything in the same lift range , not just a bit, but severely. Racer Brown seemed to understand something about lifter acceleration rates vrs lifter bore diameter that companies just now are beginning to figure out. I tried some 23 other shafts and the racer brown was tops. A Lunati cheaterstocker custom made could match it in the 1/4 mile right to the tenth of a second. however the lunati would beat the living daylights out of the valve springs and since the Racer B was exactly as fast and never required spring maintaince it was a no brainer for me. Racer Browns are around. they are the guys with the decals in the drawer not on the car cause they dont want anyone to get wise to them. For example my 74 Charger weighing 4150 lbs (including a 200 lb driver) and 430 rear with 30 inch tall 10.5 MT slicks and a Dynamic converter built to match the cam ran 11.74 at 117.93 with the hydraulic ST-H-42. Engine had flat top pistons , iron heads and two 4 bll Carters on a Ch28 Eddy manifold.
    With a STX 20 RB cam solid (previous is hdraulic) we eventually ran 11.49 @ 119.11 mph. Same carbs but the manifold four-thirteen aluded to this morning. This combo is now known as the OR build and can be found on the net (Old Reliable). Jim Dowel runs the company now and is very knowledable. If you call call him after supper as he wont answer the phone during the day. They do not stock pile, they grind each cam individually for you as you order it adjusting lobe centres and such to your exact application and all for the same gold as off the shelf run of the mill stuff.
    To be sure there are now other cam companies who are working hard in this area today but Racer B stumbled onto or figured this stuff out years ago. If you think this is all hoey that is fine with me. I love waving as i pass you on the track, just before I reach down to shift to 3rd :<)
    Don

15. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the insight Don! Very cool!

17. Ruiner

Ruiner

that's in the neighborhood of the grind I was considering for my 359 hemi...I think I might consider going the Racer Brown route just for the nostalgia of it, and I'm sure if I call with the specs of my motor they'll set me up with the perfect cam...thanks for the links and info guys, looks like I've made my decision between RB and Howard's Cams...Racer Brown it is...it's Mopar or no car...

18. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That seems like a pretty gnarly cam, but maybe it's not that bad. I was looking for a nice street cam. Was thinking I might spend more time at lights trying to keep it running than just enjoying the power... I don't know... what do you guys think about that lift and duration. Bit much for a pure street application?