Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Dirt Boys of Sportsman Park- Oakley, Kansas.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. Sad story that has played out all over the country. Some folks call it "progress", I don't.

3. Abomb

Abomb

I'm most likely related to a few of those fella's pictured. That was my Grandpa's neck of the woods after WW2. The place was gone 6 years before I came on the scene, I've never even heard of it before...interesting to find it on the HAMB...

4. autobilly

autobilly

Dig the flame job on "old number 7".

5. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Thanks for posting this. Very cool pictures and story. I never knew about that track in Oakley. It's great to remember what a part of our heritage and hot rodding that these old, local dirt tracks represent. I know that there are some of them left but like so many great things from this country's past, most are gone.

6. Hotdoggin DaddyO

Hotdoggin DaddyO
    from Hays, Ks

A question posed to the Western Kansas Hambers
    Does this look like Walker Air Force Base?
    [​IMG]

7. flamingokid

flamingokid

I've been hunting out that way,never knew they had a track there.

8. Abomb

Abomb

Nothing like that currently near Oakley, so yeah, it very well could be....Greater Metropolitan downtown Walker KS ????

9. BCR

BCR

Yes! It does appear to be Walker. I will send this to a friend who has some pics of Walker to see if he can confirm.

On a side note, I'll bet if you snuck on that place you could do a donut in the door of that Hanger, not that any of us would try.;)

10. BCR

BCR

Damn, Now you have my curiousity peaked.

Racing in Oakley was neat, but Racing on Walker!!!! Gonna go on a Hunt for some info on this. Report to come.

11. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Love the history, thanks for digging this up J-B.

12. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Yes there was racing at Walker before the owner blew up the runway so no one could race. Lippy

13. Hotdoggin DaddyO

Hotdoggin DaddyO
    from Hays, Ks

Shhhhhh...I'm not sure what the statute of limitations are on such behavior. It's only been 25 years. HA

14. BCR

BCR

All the reading I did said the goverment used the run way to test and that is why it is all blown up.

I called my dad and he said all he remembers is talk of a drag race that happened there.

I have a friend that was a dirt tracker then, I am gonna ask him if he ever raced at Oakley. He and his brother had a hopped up GMC 6.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  15. wizzard23

wizzard23

My brother was a student at Fort Hays in the early 60's. I've heard him talk of Drag Racing at Walker. Also, years ago I saw some old movies that belonged to R.C. Williams. I believe some of those were shot at Walker.

And Jive Bomber, thanks for showing some Kansas racing history.

16. BCR

BCR

Yep, RC would know. Would be cool to see the movies.

Thanks for the Thread Jive Bomber! Even if we are jackin it a little.

17. MUNDSTER

MUNDSTER

I noticed the truck axle on the white, Chevrolet powered car. Very cool post, thanks.

18. exxxtasion

exxxtasion
    from Burträsk

Hi Guys, i see that youre mentioning R.C williams in this thread, does anyone of you know how to get in touch with him, i have an old FED chassie that according to Mark Williams was bought by R.C back in the 60´s. Would be great to get in touch with him so that i could get som more info and pics of it!

Sorry for OT.

/ Kenny from Sweden