Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest The Shifters - Part 2

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
  2. Some good comments and thoughts from those guys. Thanks Ryan.

3. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

This article really covers the whole scene well. From the startup, thru the whole ratrod thing, to member's cars. Well done! Gives one a feel for being involved, even though miles away.

Thanks Ryan and the Shifters!

4. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

Ryan, Damn fine article, Thanks for that!

Nick.

5. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Definitely some cool point made there. I can appreciate a look into clubs and see what they are about. I think like minds is definitely the undercurrent in all good clubs.

6. Brock49Ford

Brock49Ford

Very cool read, thanks Ryan!

7. Limey Steve

Limey Steve
    Alliance Vendor
    from Whittier

Great article guys , I'd like to call the Shifters friends , Jeez I've known most of them since the early days & seen them grow as people & Hot Rodders. What a great bunch of guys , they were the only group of Hot Rodders that knew how to have fun like we did in England , no lawn chairs & car dusters !!, I came from England in '88 as an old Hot Rodder , got here as a Young Hot Rodder & met the Shifters who were younger than me & got IT Big Time , Long may you continue on your Quest for Traditional Hot Rods & Hot Rod life style .

8. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Interesting read(s) thanks!

9. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Bitchin'!! Thanx for the great interview!!

Ian

10. Garry Carter

Garry Carter

Some of the best insights -- by both the author and his respondents -- into what "traditionally-influenced" hot rodding is REALLY all about, IMHO. Good read and a great perspective. Well done.

11. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Great articles - Thanks!

It'd be awesome to see you guys (Shifters) bring a few cars to the HAMB Drags sometime. You won't be let down!

Malcolm

12. Jerry_Rolls&Pleats

Jerry_Rolls&Pleats
    from Europe

Great reading for sure - thanks. They've built so many cool cars over so many years...

13. PRIMERDAVE

PRIMERDAVE

very good read ....and I couldn't agree more on the term "Rat Rod" on how it has evolved.....for the worse!!

14. SapienKustom

SapienKustom
    from Merced, CA

Good read Ryan. Thanks. I talked to Axle for a minute at the Sacramento Autorama this year and he seemed like a really nice down to earth guy that loves his music, hot rods and custom cars. Don't get much better than that.

Oh yeah he also puts on a kickass show!

15. Great read...love the info and insight

16. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I roomed with Vic one year at VLV, he told me his entire life story in two days, it was great, then he ate a whole roast boar and cherry pie at the smorgasbord.

17. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Good read. That '40 just rules. I also really like the yellow deuce and I don't like yellow cars usually...

18. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

that was great....nice job

19. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Thanks for the article Ryan , you hear stuff and rumors etc. it's good to hear it from the source.....kind of makes things line up...

20. 53chevy

53chevy

Awesome! How time flys.....Thanks to the Shifters for their presence in SoCal and Ryan on a great read!

Ken

21. vonpahrkur

vonpahrkur

Great Interview, excellent questions and answers! Good job!

22. RAY With

RAY With

My thoughts exactly on the term RAT ROD. Its been over used ,misunderstood and in my time traditional never included a small block chev. We did the Cads,chrysler,olds motors. My favorites were the cad first then Olds as they were very available in my area. In any event I appreciate the article and thanks for posting it.

23. Great read, but it's even cooler that a picture that I took ended up on a "cover story"!

Living in the same area as some of the members, I'm lucky enough to get to see thier rides at quite a few shows and around town. They never cease to impress...always a class act.

Attached Files:

24. Kerry67

Kerry67

Cool post again. Wish I was in a club like that.

25. Buick59

Buick59
    from in a house

I remember seeing this rowdy group of scrotum scratchers around '95 or '96 at one of the Hotternanny's in Orange County. They were pretty damned rowdy and I remember keeping my distance from them. I think Axle even had hair back then, I swear I have a picture of them somewhere from that show.

Then a couple years later, a buddy and I drove down in his '49 Ford from SLC to Viva Las Vaginas. At the time there were only about 50 or so cars that year at the show. Of course when there are only 50 or so cars you get to know one and other pretty quick. I remember even meeting the wacky packy Nads the first couple of VLV shows. Kevan, Vic, Axle etc. Vic just kills me when he's drunk, I can't stop laughing.

I remember keeping Axle awake with my drunken snoring while crashing in his room at Vegas, or him waking me up while I was sleeping it off under my '59 Buick in the parking lot.

Man we all had some good times during the early years in Vegas mooning each other drinking beer and whizzing in the empty corners of the lot. Over the years I have stayed friends with many of those testicle tuggers and had good times. And most recently at the Antique Nats watching the PPE make it first timed runs down the 1/4 mile.

I understand why they slowed down. Im in my late 30's now and just can't do what I did in my late 20's. It's understandable.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
  26. dj_rockinvic

dj_rockinvic

Great article Ryan. Brings back memories to how it was in the 90's Southern California. I first met the shifters at the 1st Hootenanny in 95.' In those days you had an instant friend when you met someone with similar tastes in cars and 50's lifestyle. You have to remember in those days you got a lot of ridicule being young and "into it." No media attention, no trends. It was purely from your own interest. Everybody else was square as f%#k!.

I have been good friends with the Shifters ever since.

27. Dakota Kid

Dakota Kid

man...i always wanted to be shifter!

28. Cool interviews! This is top shelf.

29. MEMPHIS RAT

MEMPHIS RAT
    BANNED

wow ryan, thankx....

the ingenuity and craftmanship of thses group of guys will live on forever!!!!!

30. Killer

Killer

Alex Shifter is dreamy...