Register now to get rid of these ads!

How do I build a door from scratch?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SpookyDad, Oct 17, 2008.

1. SpookyDad

SpookyDad
    from Cypress TX

I need to build doors for my truck. I have attached a couple of pictures on what I need and what I have done so far. The original truck is described as a wood cab but I know it has to be partially steel. I want to have the window roll down so I will need some sort of regulator.

I can build steel hinges.
    I have 3x1 and 2x1 rectangular tubing.

The main thing that has me stumped is what to do where the window will come up through the "sill".

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

How about a history lesson on the two old photos?

3. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

I would imagine that the door would have to be built like a long, thin "box" in a sense so that the regulator could fit inside. Think of the rear roll down windows on some early thirties cars. Everything is made of wood and it just gets nailed into the car.

4. 53choptop

53choptop

5. James427

James427
    BANNED

I'm sure you've thought about this, but how about modifying an existing door?? Maybe an antique school bus front or rear door. Or a pair from an old delivery van like a UPS truck or even a VW van or passenger van.

6. SpookyDad

SpookyDad
    from Cypress TX

The truck is a late 1930's radio van. It was made for the German army before the war. These are both most likely taken just before the war. The German Army opted for less expensive single rear axle trucks built by Opel. Opel was owned by GMC. This particular truck was built by Krupp. Krupp manufactured all sorts of heavy equipment such as artillery pieces and tanks.

I am building a conversion of a GMC CCKW 2 1/2 ton 6x6 "Ma Deuce". I have lots of information about these vehicles on my website. The address is in my signature at the bottom.

Neil

7. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

8. SpookyDad

SpookyDad
    from Cypress TX

9. SpookyDad

SpookyDad
    from Cypress TX

Yes my mistake. I wanted to make the distinction because when someone says "Deuce" on here, they mean an entirely different vehicle. I was typing too fast.

Neil

10. SpookyDad

SpookyDad
    from Cypress TX

Does anyone have any suggestions for a manual window regulator? I would like a nice, simple, easy to install one. Not too pricey would be nice too. :D

Neil

11. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Fox body mustangs are the simplest ones I've seen.

12. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Take a look at a model A coupe or tudor door they are pretty simple and have a decent regulator and available new. Probably near to era correct as well.