Register now to get rid of these ads!

Best Fiberglass T-Bucket Body

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by benford1, Jan 13, 2008.

1. benford1

benford1

I am in the process of finishing my '29 roadster and would like to start working with my son by doing some MIG and Tig work, engine building, etc.

I do my own bodywork and painting (since 14 years old and now 55 years young), but I would like to start him off on something "fresh" instead of putting in panels, cleaning up old part, and basically becoming discouraged.

I figured that a good '23 glass body would give him a fresh canvas to start with. After this, we start a "real" project.

Thanks

2. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

I think that you are on the right track for several reasons. First off, you want to work with your son on a car for him-that is all that needs to be said-VERY COOL!!

I think you are right, you might not want a project that is way too involved for his first, he could lose interest if you start with a pile of sheetmetal. And there is not a thing in the world wrong with a nicely built glass car, regardless of what some "internet builders/critics" will say. If you use the right parts, and stick to an era that you like for the car, it will come out GREAT.

And, building a car from a glass body is not a free ride anyways. The chassis fabrication is the same as any other car, glass or steel. And there is plenty of work involved with wooding the glass body.

So go for it, it would be a great first project. And the skills he learns on this can be used over & over-post your progress please- and
    Good Luck!!

PS-not to hijack, but here's a couple pics of t's, my dads(black) & brothers(blue). Maybe these will give your son an idea or two-Dan
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. benford1

benford1

The cars look great. This is the way he wants to go. Thanks

4. There are a bunch of mfgs. out there now, some finished nice, some a little ruff, some with floors, some without, some stretched, some not. I guess it would depend on location and price and how much finish work you want to do..lol

5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I'm building a T Bucket now and I'm in the process of putting the bucks away for my body. I'm going with Total Performance, but that is because their body is made for their frame that I used. In your case, you have a lot of options. Try California Custom Roadster. They have a nice standard body, as well as one with an 8" stretch for more leg room. There is also Spirit Industries. They have a nice body and I have heard great things about them.

It's great that your building this with your son. This is my first early hot rod build and I have learned a lot so far. If you click the link in my sinature, you can see where I'm at. In either case, good luck and I hope to maybe see you on the street.

6. autoartistry

autoartistry

Just recently built a 23 T from Spirit Cars in Arkansas.I have built a few T's and this one so far was the best quality.
    Mike

7. HotRodPaint.com

HotRodPaint.com

I've painted a couple from CCR. I have extensive experience in 'glass, having worked on old, new, primitive, made my own prototypes and molds, repaired all kinds, and had to paint over some really bad 'glass parts.

The CCR wasn't perfect, (none are!) but was really good stuff!....minimal prep or problems.

BTW, I believe T-buckets are the "choppers" of the hot rod world. Minimal amount of parts....to git-er-done!

8. joeybsyc

joeybsyc
    from PA

I generally dislike "most" T-Buckets, but those 2 are both killer looking cars! I'd be proud to own either one.

9. BenD

BenD
    Alliance Member

I highly recommend "Spirit" in Mt. Home Arkansas. Good people, good product and he's a Hamber.

10. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

If you or your son got long legs get the body with the extra length.

11. streetfreakmustang

streetfreakmustang
    BANNED
    from Ohio

Make sure you buy the windshield post frame from the same company that made the body. Many of the T- molds are molds from other companies who in turn copied theirs from another company who copied theirs from another. You get the message.

One of the mags did an article several years back and the body was an inch wider or shorter, can't remember, than the windshield frame. Also the top of the body did not match the frame either.

12. youngster

youngster
    Member Emeritus
    from Minnesota

I've used bodies from several manufactures. They all have their plus' and minus'. By the time you install the wood and paint them, the sweat equity is about the same.

13. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Zipper Motors makes a very nice '27 roadster body. Great seating position, super workmanship. He doesn't give them away, but you will get what you pay for.

http://www.zippermotors.com/page10.html