Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs valcum leak ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by teddyp, Sep 13, 2012.

1. teddyp

teddyp

this is a 1952 dodge wayfair with a 360 mopar crate motor with a 4 sp on the ride back from a show in pa the fan broke and when into the rad.the car overheated had it tow to jersery took it of flatbed and drove it in garage replaced the fan and rad. tried to start it won,t start acts like a major vacum leak will only start if i put hand over carb spayed whole motor ,plug all vac lines same we took a compress test good pulled the manafold off and check for cracks(had that happen with a 340 once looks good out of ideals i,m i missing something :confused: thanks for any help or ideals

2. Deuces

Deuces

3. Having a think about this !!!!! JW

4. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Teddy I have not heard from you in a while.

I am sitting here racking my brain over where the leak could be if you have already spraying the engine.

I am thinking it must be internal and I think I would recheck the compression again maybe even using a different gauge.

Jim "Jimbo" Hill

5. teddyp

teddyp

hi jim
    glad to hear from you we redid the check 3 times replace all intake gaskets i,m lost it has to be something we missed next were taken the manifold off and doing a smoke test thats wear you plug all holes and pump smoke into it i,m told if there any cracks it would show it. i had ray scoff in in touch with you alot of things going on hope to talk to you soon
    teddyp

6. Is the intake manifold aluminum, while it was off did you lay a good straight edge across the flanges? It could be warped enough not to hold vacuum, but still have a good water seal.

I would take a look at the carb gasket to manifold as well... it may have been fried from the heat.

Bob

7. teddyp

teddyp

thanks bob we change the carb gasket when we took the manifold off and yes it,s a aluminum manifold will check the edge again when we take it off for the crack test

8. teddy, I would recommend a leak down test, and a cooling system pressure test, sounds like you have a nice hot rod and no need to be quessing anything here, all the best, TR

9. How does it run once started, sounds like you may have a fuel supply probem, holding a hand over is the same as using the choke. If it runs well after starting I would look at this.

10. RayJarvis

RayJarvis

agree sounds like fuel flow ,let us know k

11. teddyp

teddyp

when you remove your hand it stops i put a glass fuel in line gets lots of fuel i,m going to pa. for the new kkoa. show when we get back will do a leak down test and a cooling test thanks for the ideals

12. Sounds like a carb blockage more than an air leak. When it overheated the carb may have dried out and often there are particles that go hard and block things. Im not ruling out an air leak but it would have to be rather big.Hope its a easy fix for you and not major. JW

13. teddyp

teddyp

14. OK let's see if i get this straight.
    You running fine , no problems at all
    One day the fan breaks ( look around for damage from that)
    It over heats ( check for effects of that )
    It gets towed ( flat bed or hook) car gets tipped on the bed twice. Dormant dirt may be moved around.
    Check for some truck damage or bumping of stuff..

Now it gets too much fuel or has a huge vacuum leak.

Check for a stuck float, spray around everything, vacuum modular if it has one

Go back over everything you touched since it got on the tow truck

15. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

What is a valcum ? :D

16. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Same as vacuum, but without spell check;)!

17. teddyp

teddyp

thanks it was late and i can,t spell for shit:)

18. teddyp

teddyp

19. I don't either, I was going to make fun of your spelling but then I would have to go out to the hot house and fling rocks.

Do you have another carb that you can throw on there to see if your carb is the problem? Even if it is not the proper carb you don't need to screw with the linkeage to see if the carb is the problem just get gas to it and fire it up.

So I am going to assume that you sprayed water all over everything, do you think that you may have anti freeze in your distributer cap? Most induction problems are actually ignition problems.