Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sydney Allard's Dragster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. Weasel

Weasel

3. funnycar

funnycar

I'm sorry, Jive-Bomber, but you're wrong about the "sole" dragster built in Europe.
    In 1967 the "DRAGoon's CLAN", the first italian hot rod Club etablished in Europe (November 11, 1966) built "DRAGone", sponsored by CALTEX, WEBER, SAFFA, POLISTIL and maybe someone else, a "rear-engine dragster" presented at Autodromo Internationale di Monza in September of 1967, before the start of Gran Premio d'Italia.
    I'm unable (sorry again) to post some picture but if you are so kind to give me your E-mail, i can provide atachemets suitable to be published.
    More: in the Don Garlits Drag Racing Museum, you'll find a little model of the car I gave to Big Daddy in February 2008.
    Thank you!

4. Fatbrosracing

Fatbrosracing
    from Australia

As it sits now in the National Motor Museum in the U.K.

Attached Files:

5. The website hasn't been updated in a couple of years and I didn't dig deeper.

From the website...
    "2011 will be the car’s 50th birthday and plans are being made for the car to visit the USA and attend Bakersfield as well as be on display at the NHRA museum."

Did this happen?

6. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

You may have read my words wrong- I said the "first" purpose-build dragster in Europe, not the "sole" or only one:

"In 1960 Allard decided to build Britain’s (and actually all of Europe’s) first true dragster."

7. Pretty amazing..I knew the name but not the history. Thanks.

8. History, Gotta love it. What a slick looking ride for sure. Tons of beauty :)Thanks for sharing.

9. jdustu

jdustu
    from Detroit

Funny how timing works....I was just in Ron Fournier's shop today, he was giving me a bit of a history lesson on Allard as he's restoring one of the original sport cars. Pretty cool.

10. 8 fucking replies? This thread rocks as much as jays last one. I do think the Allard dragster is ugly since the first time I saw a picture 30?40? years ago..............but IT IS A MILESTONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

There's something weirdly British about old sidney (I assume that's who it is) sitting in that thing in a suit and tie whilst it belches exhaust out of he zoomies. Pure Monty python.....great bit of history from my homeland Jay. Thanks

Felix

12. Deuces

Deuces

Ugly?????...
    I think it looks slick! :)

13. englishhemi32

englishhemi32

one of the allard dragon dragsters is still being raced now, has a very simular blown 4 cylinder engine like the one used in the video, usually turns up at the hot rod drags in september, gonna hunt for a picture now..

14. englishhemi32

englishhemi32

found it!

Attached Files:

15. MUNDSTER

MUNDSTER

I really enjoy all the old drag stuff. I love old film clips from hot rodding's past, and what a gorgeous suprise at the end. I am just as happy to see all the stuff in the back ground of vintage race films or movies. Also I have a friend with the last name Allard, who turned me on to the marque. No relation, he just became interested by the name. Thanks for the post.

16. flamingokid

flamingokid

Personally,I think it looks pretty darn sexy.Kind of reminds me of a Dan Gurney Eagle transformed into a dragster.

17. moefuzz

moefuzz

Just caught this thread and have to say how cool is it that the driver held the camera with one hand and wrangled the dragster down the track and that this film still exists,

Thank you Jive Bomber and Thank you HAMB for bring us this.

moe

18. autobilly

autobilly

That's a good size SU!

19. reefer

reefer

20. Fugly Too

Fugly Too

Kinda looks like a Ken Fuller copy. No disrespect, just thinking out loud.

21. JEM

JEM

"This one-and-a-half-liter midget compares very favorably with the seven-liter American giants"

- from the video embedded at the first link.

22. JEM

JEM

It is pretty attractive, and anything with a front-mount blower gets props as far as I'm concerned.