Register now to get rid of these ads!

54 chevy truck chop and channel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOT ROD DAVE, Nov 9, 2009.

1. HOT ROD DAVE

HOT ROD DAVE

who has done a 50's chevy truck chop and channel??????

post some pics of your truck

what style frame would you use and if you have any pics that would help or links as i did a search and didnt turn up to much

did you bag it or what type of susprnsion did you use???

any help would be great

2. knuckelhead

knuckelhead
    from socal

3. HOT ROD DAVE

HOT ROD DAVE

i forgot to mention that we want to do a traditional hot rod look like that 29 to early 40's look and no fenders or hood, well maybe a hood

4. mine is just a 54 GMC work truck, I have a cut by cut on my website under "shop truck build"
    www.oldcarglassguy.com

5. HOT ROD DAVE

HOT ROD DAVE

noname that is a very nice looking truck, i have some ideas but my son wants to see some others

is their anyone else with a chop and channel truck with pics they want to share and maybe some info as well??????

6. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

You got corner windows on that cab or not? They are tempered and don't cut!

54 isn't flat glass in the front either...

Anyway, the cab is much wider than an A so you've got to plan it out or it'll look giant on a frame like an A's.

There is a guy in Grand Rapids with a '51 GMC he had at Autorama in the basement. Running a Ford FE because he had it. Not sure about all of the rest of his stuff but you can search on Killbillet to find it. Uses the R word...I like the truck, myself.

There is also the one that the louver guy did. It has been at Billetproof and Ididit. Someone is bound to have pictures. I've got a few, floor is license plates. He used the stock 50s horizontal grill and trimmed them down to fit in a surround he built.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  7. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

Go Blue! Lots of guys on here have documented an AD / s10 frame swap. as for chopping, Gene Winfield recommends you cut around the perimeter of the top and use what used to be the rear pillar as the length you need to stretch the roof. Don't lean the posts, and do not x cut the top, get the roof from a sedan and tuck the corners, much less metal work in the long run.

I believe Thom Taylor had some renderings in Rod and Custom of making an early rpu from a cheap 50s cab.

8. HOT ROD DAVE

HOT ROD DAVE

time for more research, but at least i have a direction to go in now........thank you

9. chopt55bc

chopt55bc

if your truck is a 5 window, dont worry about the corner glass. they do make laminated pieces now that you can cut. i just had glass cut for mine. if you need info on where to get the glass, let me know. Oh, and just my 2 cents, leave the fenders on. but if you are going fenderless, i need a right side front. good luck!!!

10. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

I am looking for laminated glass corner windows that can be cut to fit. Any info on where to get them would be appriciated.

11. dirtydixon

dirtydixon

Ditto , I'm curious to know.

12. they're coming out of China, clear green or grey tint. how many do you want

13. bamabob

bamabob

I know this is an old thread but curious why should you not lean the post? Will it screw up getting the door lined up? Seems like just bringing the top down and leaning the post would otherwise be the easy way to do it. I've got a 49 3 window that I'm working up the courage to cut.
    Bob

14. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Huh? a 29- 40s look in a 54? Like a time machine?

15. caseyscustoms

caseyscustoms
    BANNED
    from st.joe, MO

i was thinking that too

16. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Were we're going we dont need style

17. customizer2024

customizer2024
    from niles, mi.

Check out my album in my profile. It's chopped 6 ins. but not channeled. full leg room. Fenders and bed raised. It's still a project, haven't touched it about 12 yrs. Thinking about selling it. If any body is interested please contact me....

18. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

So you want to a build a traditional fenderless `50`s chevy truck??? I`m confused.

19. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Thats OK I think he is too

20. cozee

cozee

21. Mr. Chevrolet

Mr. Chevrolet
    from Canada

Do you or anyone else have any progress pictures of a Gene Winfield truck chop? I've heard of his method of cutting the perimeter of the roof but I have never seen it. Did he do it at one of his workshops? I'd love to attend one of these, Gene's the master.

22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The posts on ^^y truck are leaned.
    [​IMG]
    Old photo but it shows the profile. Chopped 4 inches. It is enough of a pain in the butt to get things to fit right with flat glass in the windshield but curved glass in a 54 would be a royal pain plus fitting the door posts and what not. Straight down and stretch the top is just a lot easier to get everything to fit and a lot less headaches.

23. bamabob

bamabob

I see what you are saying. The leaned post look good but not as subtle as stretching the top. Guess it depends on the look you are going after.