Register now to get rid of these ads!

65 chevy c20 want to change rear end

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 65chevyc20, Sep 2, 2010.

1. 65chevyc20

65chevyc20

Hey everyone
    I am in need of changing either my whole rearend out or just the gearing. If i change the whole rearend out i would like to stay with an 8 lug rearend. The problem is i dont know what year of truck i could get it out of does any one know a good year. Im running 4.55 gears right now and cant do 65 without pulling 7000 rpm i just want better mileage thats all. If any one in so cal has a rearend to get rid of let me know.
    Thanks everyone
    Tim

2. F&J

F&J

Best swap going is a late 70s to late 80s Chev/gmc suburban rear, also trucks. If you look at enough fully loaded suburbans, you may find the 3.2 8 lug rear ratio. Not easy to find in trucks as much.

not a bolt in because you need to switch perches and find a way to mount the panhard bar from your truck.

...If you can fab a bracket to hold the panhard bar, or cut one off of a 60 to 63 chevy truck or suburban, 1/2 or 3/4 ton brackets are the same. I'd grab the slighty longer panhard bar if you find a donor truck for the bracket; then you don't have to lengthen yours.

3. Truckedup

Truckedup

Your truck's rear end is the drop out center section with a round rear cover? That's the so called HO axle.Best gears are 4.11.You might find one,usually in late 60's trucks.Otherwise a swap like mentioned above.

4. 65chevyc20

65chevyc20

Thanks guy im gonna have to get down to pick a part and do some work ive had this truck 10 years now and im finally serious about workin on it. I guess getting layed off was a good thing haha

5. F&J

F&J

Don't settle for the common later 3.73...you will not like it compared to the rarer 3.2 8 lug. Just keep looking. Most yards have a book for the axle tube stamped codes to tell the ratio...that's if the drums are stuck and you can't check the ratio yourself.