Register now to get rid of these ads!

60'-70's Vintage Oval Track Modifieds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john56h, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kholm65

kholm65
    from NY

LOL Pete, didn't mean to steal your thunder I wasn't sure if you had the other half of that photo or not? :) what a great idea back then to get all those guys out on the track! Every Speedway should do that on opening day!

Bobby Holmberg 1974

Attached Files:

2. #99 Vintage Racer

#99 Vintage Racer

This what the photos may of looked like back in the day.

Attached Files:

3. hahah no thunder here, maybe some lightnin from those boys, if they were down south that is!!!! Moonshiner era!

4. [​IMG]
    islip
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    glenn guthrie

5. [​IMG]
    gil bruss
    [​IMG]
    gino spada
    [​IMG]
    spada

6. [​IMG]
    glaude wreck
    [​IMG]
    bob park, any info on this accident...matinsville
    [​IMG]

7. [​IMG]
    gerald compton
    [​IMG]
    hearne and siscone
    [​IMG]
    spada

8. from 99vintageracer

[​IMG]

9. kholm65

kholm65
    from NY

cool nice job on the picture!

10. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

FIRST .. It was GRRRREAT to meet you at Harold Seaman's shop.
    That was one heck of a good & super sized hamburger that you bought us at the Airport Diner too. THANKS!!!

I've seen that picture before .. either Ed Hawkins or his son in law Norman Gimmler had a copy .. maybe Steve Tooker too, he has lots of early Riverhead (NY) Raceway history stuff, as I remember.

I also remember someone also naming almost everyone in the larger version of that shot, but damned if I remember who????

It was INTERESTING to hear Harold (Seaman) talk about (when He was a boy) helping Rambo & Evers (John Rambo did most of the work) build the track .. or at least digging holes for them.

I don't know it it was over lunch or later that day (after you left) .. but over the years I heard many different (hear say) stories as to why the track is cocked on the property .. never knew which (if any) to believe .. BUT a young Harold Seaman being there helping .. what he said to me I now take as the truth. .... It seems there was a stream running through the property and the easiest way to excavate & shape the track was to follow & use the banks of the stream. That "IS" why the track sits cocked / angled on the property!!! .... THANKS HAROLD!!!

11. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

I'll add my 2 cents to that.

Me thinks that every speedway would be smart to do that once each & every season!!

Anyone have a copy of a group shot of mostly midget drivers, posed in the Islip (NY) grand stands that they can post? I haven't seen that one in many years.

They probably did that with the modified drivers at Islip too.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010

12. Yes! Thank you, my son is ever in your debt. Dad's can do that you know. :D

13. I can live with that! Thanks.

14. That makes sense when you take into consideration the swamp and how many cars ended up in it years ago.

15. kholm65

kholm65
    from NY

I would love to see an Islip picture like that Riverhead one. This is the closest I have found to a group Modified shot from Islip Speedway.

Attached Files:

16. ferns

ferns

I think this is an allstar race in the early 70. Ferns

17. kholm65

kholm65
    from NY

I spoke to Steve Park about this picture of his dad's wreck... He said it was at
    Martinsville speedway and the throttle hung wide open! Scary crash, it broke Bob's shoulder & collar bone, cuts and bruises. Throttle booster in carbs were narrowed for horsepower but broke off and hung throttles open, now Nascar inspects and no tampering allowed!

18. cdnmodman

cdnmodman

This thread has been awesome from the start, if you want to check some interesting stuff from the Northeast and Ontario check this one out:

http://speedwaynostalgia.com/

Rick

19. Thanks for the info Kris, I knew when I saw it, I had to post it, even though it's a later style mod!!! I knew we could some info on that wreck, the mod looks destroyed!

[​IMG]
    Greame
    [​IMG]
    Graham Trudo
    [​IMG]
    Greenport raceway

20. [​IMG]
    Graham Trudo hauling to catamount
    [​IMG]
    Bill Greco
    [​IMG]
    Goober

21. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Gordon Magnum
    [​IMG]
    Graham Trudo

22. [​IMG]
    Glynn Shafer
    [​IMG]
    George Summers
    [​IMG]
    :O)

23. hotrodlarry

hotrodlarry

Thunder Road Speedbowl in Barre, Vt has a "class day" every year. Every driver in all 4 divisions line up on the track and a group shot is taken. It's very impressive considering the track is a 1/4 mile and there are easily 20-30 cars in each class.

24. kholm65

kholm65
    from NY

its really great that they make the effort to do that!

25. Johnnyone

Johnnyone

Thats not greenport Long Island is it ?

26. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

It's likely that something similar was one of the causes of the deaths of Charlie Jarzombek, Richie Evans and others.

I think today NASCAR also mandates that the throttle boosters / power valves be safety wired, so they can't fall in & jam the carb open.

I've also noticed in the pictures of Charlie's wreck & now Bob Parks, how the front clips didn't seem to really bend / crush / absorb energy .. meaning the driver took A LOT of the hit.

Top that with back then we also didn't have HANS devices &/or the seats that are available today.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  27. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

If you were to follow that swamp back on the Riverhead (NY) Raceway property, you'd find that it runs into a rather large pond (small lake) .. in the woods .. on the side of & towards the rear of the property.

28. No track in greenport, Long Island, we had one in Speonk though. I have to find the list of track on Long Island at one point, it added up to 30+ all together if not more. If someone finds the list before me post it!!! We had a big track in Deer Park and it sat in the woods till 15 years ago!

[​IMG]
    Hal Wilson
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Hank Thomas

29. [​IMG]
    Greg Sacks
    [​IMG]
    Greg Sacks
    [​IMG]
    John Blewett

30. [​IMG]