Register now to get rid of these ads!

pictures of buffalo enterprises tranny adapter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bodydropped72, Apr 17, 2008.

1. bodydropped72

bodydropped72
    from bako,ca

does anyone have pics of buffalo enterprises transmission adapter. looking for an overall view and of any spacers and such oh yeah the adapter for a 235 chevy...

2. Ball and Chain

Ball and Chain
    from Nor Cal

3. bodydropped72

bodydropped72
    from bako,ca

anyone else... curious what kind of flywheel is used im gonna mate up a later model 3 speed manual. also can the 6 volt starter still be used

4. 6v and 12V use different flywheels.

What adapter are you after, 235 to Chev pattern auto trans or 235 to T5 manual?

5. bodydropped72

bodydropped72
    from bako,ca

235 to t5 manual but not using a t5 already have a good 3 speed from a late 60's pickup

6. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

get a bellhousing for a 55 up car or 49 up truck, use a side mount 235 and a tail mount on the trans, way fuckin cheaper if you are keeping a 3 speed. The adapter is only necessary for auto swaps.

7. bodydropped72

bodydropped72
    from bako,ca

and where could i find one of these?

8. Probably in a 55-62 car or 47-59 truck with a 235 and a manual trans. (60 or 61 trucks go to hydraulic clutch linkage and the holes in the side are all wrong).

The adapter for the T5 is designed specifically both to adapt the pattern and compensate for the length of the input shaft of the T5, I'm not sure it would work with a 3-speed anyhow.

9. bodydropped72

bodydropped72
    from bako,ca

well i was doing some measuring since i have a spare stock trans for the 235 the input shafts and splines on both the stocker and the 3 speed i want to put in it are the same and ive heard you need to send buffalo the input shaft off the t5 for machine work

10. wayfarer

wayfarer

I have one in the garage right now, I'll take pictures of everything tonight or tomorrow.

11. bodydropped72

bodydropped72
    from bako,ca

that would be great wayfarer is there any kinda of bushing/spacer in the kit

12. wayfarer

wayfarer

No bushing/spacer, just the adapter, hardware and flexplate. It's a nice kit, buffalo does a good job and I'd suggest it if you want to go that direction. (sorry some of the paint is scratched):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cloeseup of starter pad:
    [​IMG]

Flexplate:
    [​IMG]

It has a machined ring welded to the middle that's drilled for the 235 pattern:
    [​IMG]

I had the kit in my '53 wagon, but the desire to pull a trailer at freeway speeds and some other factors led me to a small block swap. I actually just pulled the six out this afternoon and took the adapter kit off of it, so your question was well timed.

13. bodydropped72

bodydropped72
    from bako,ca

what are your plans for the adapter?? who knows what kind of flywheel is needed for a manual trans

14. Tony

Tony

I have one of his adapter's for a stick...actually a T5..
    The way it's designed, you use the stock bell housing, clutch linkage, flywheel, etc...
    everything BUT the clutch disc. You have to have one made with the S-10 center and the same disc dia, thickness etc as the stock stovebolt..
    I'll be installing it within the next two weeks...
    The main reason i went with his, above all the good words i've heard about Buffalo, was that i could keep just about all the stock clutch equipment..
    Call him up and tell him what you want....Once we talked, he made mine to fit my application. I'd think he could do the same for you..
    And yes, you do have to send in the bearing retainer/ input sleeve of the T5 so he can machine it...

If you want pics of this set up, i can take them tomorrow for you and get them on here since it's not in the car yet....there's not much there really, just a plate with hole's....and a few bolt's..

Tony

15. The guy wants to put a late 60's truck three-speed MANUAL trans in his car.

He doesn't need either of those adapters, just a 55-62 car or 47-59 truck bellhousing. It's a bolt-in swap, with the exception of fabbing a new rear mount for the motor/trans.

Guys have been building them that way since the first guy got the idea to put an open drive in one of these cars.

The adapter some people have posted/linked to pictures of is for installing an automatic trans behind a 235.

The other adapter for a T5 is also designed to compensate for the longer input shaft of the T5, there will be an inch gap between the truck trans input and the pilot hole in the crank using it with the other transmission.

If Buffalo Enterprises has an adapter for this specific application, I'm not aware of it, but it's possible. One can find their website doing a google search, or just call the number in the thread linked way up around the third post and ask them.

OP (original poster), do you have a rearend and driveshaft figured out for the car yet?

16. bodydropped72

bodydropped72
    from bako,ca

ive seen people post that 82 s10 4x4 rearends are within 1/2 an inch or so, so thats hwat im leanin towards as for the driveline i have no idea...and for the bellhousing swap is that all i need or will i need a new flywheel and clutch or am i just swapping the bellhousing?? thanks

17. Just like the T5 swap the only thing you may need to change is the clutch disc, it has to match the splines on the input shaft of the transmission you use. With the 3-speed it may already be the same.

18. the adaptor for the t5 to 235 is for the pre 47' trucks because the bolt pattern is different than the later gm trucks/cars. go to www.stovebolt.com or www.chevytalk.com and the info you need will be on these sites in the tech. section. for the 47' up t5 swap the input shaft needs minor shortening and the front bearing retainer is also shortened.

19. The adapter is needed for 49-54 car bellhousings also.

20. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

So for a '54 210, 235, factory 3 spd. if I'm doing an s10 t5 swap do I need a truck bell, an adapter or the original car bellhousing to get it to work? I know I need to cut the input shaft and find the correct clutch disc but to physically mount it to my 235 what do I need?

21. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

The bellhouse that's been said several times, 55 to 62 car, or the truck 235 bell. The t-5 will bolt up. You need to match the clutch to the spline on the tranny as previously stated.
    You will need an open drive rear end and driveshaft.

22. julioortiz

julioortiz
    from Florida

good job , guy already time make a change . thank you buffalo

23. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

So in that case does anybody have a description of how to modify the factory clutch linkage to work with the different bellhousing clutch fork angle. The reason I'm asking these questions is, I live in a town house w/o a garage and my neighborhood frowns on working on cars in the parking lot so downtime has to be kept to a minimum.

24. Rocket88

Rocket88

Here's a few pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rocket88, once again, he'll be using a MANUAL transmission, not an automatic. He kind of misled us by starting off the post asking about the Buffalo adapter. As has been pointed out, he does not need the adapter, just good old stock GM stuff.

26. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

Yeah, sorry about that guys. Rocket88 I definitely appreciate your response and thank you for the pictures. I located a '55 truck bellhousing so that's out of the way I just can't picture how one would modify the clutch fork or the linkage to work with the different fork angle. I saw the hotrodworks t5 adapter which allows you to keep all the clutch related components as they are with the 3 speed but at the same time, if the clutch components are easy enough to modify I'd definitely like to save the extra hundred dollars and go with the truck bell (since it all has to come off anyway). Thanks for putting up with the ndwb questions everyone.

27. Rocket88

Rocket88

Sorry guys, it must have something to do with the big bowl of dumb ass I had for breakfast!

28. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

No worries my friend. The thought of doing a th350 with a manual valve body crossed my mind too so it's still nice to see those pics. the only reason I decided not to do that is because I have the clutch pedal there and I don't want to have to switch out everything completely

29. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

Ok I have another question. I know the earlier s10 t5s work with the cable driven speedo but what if im using an electric speedo? Will all s10 t5s swap into a '54 exactly the same (except the speedo drive of course)? Thanks

30. feckert

feckert
    from oregon

the clutch fork piviot ball must be lowered 3/4 inch, on the same radaise, compare the 54 bell to the 55 and you will see the different angle. drill a new hole for the piviot ball threads, tack weld a nut to the inside of the bell, make sure it is square, use a old bolt for this so ya dont bugger up the threads, then bolster weld around the nut, very thin in that part of the bell. can scab in some scrap cast iorn for this just make sure it is stout. mig or ark is fine, then enlarge the fork window so the clutch fork has plenty of room. hope ya got the flywheel, and pressure plate from the 55 u will need it. wack 5/8 inch off the t5 and cut the throw out retainer bout the same use the 55 throw out bearing, and fork. also need to change the pilot bearing in the crank shaft to fit the t5 input shaft. use a stock 14 spline s 10 clutch disk think i used a 9 1/2 inch works fine with the stock 10 inch pressure plate. this is a very easy swap trust me.