Register now to get rid of these ads!

Barney Navarro

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Hakoval Traedz

Hakoval Traedz

Simply perfect. Pedal down, Barney!

Attached Files:

2. Another great one lost, a Pioneer to our great 'sport' of speed and record breaking.

RIP Barney, you will be missed.

3. OLLIN

OLLIN

one of my idols...R.I.P. man.

Im sure he will give new meaning to the term "god speed" up there!

4. jonnycola

jonnycola

That really bums me out.

Total ruler.

5. weez

weez

That's what I was thinking... R.I.P.

6. klazurfer

klazurfer

R.i.p

Attached Files:

7. MENACE

MENACE
    from PHOENIX AZ

The last issue of the rodders journal had a great article on him R.I.P.

8. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Another great one gone.
    A long lifespan, I'm sure he rests in peace.

9. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I hope he enjoys that endless salt lake in the sky!
    I had heard of him but didn't know much until I found an article about him in about 95, read everything I could about him since then. The man was one of my hero's even know I never got to meet him.

10. R.I.P. Barney Navarro, sad day for the Hot Rod hobby, you will be missed for sure.

11. Navarro...one name that will never be forgotten. RIP...

12. sololobo

sololobo

R.I.P.. Brother Navarro-The picture in post is a holy grail!!-Sololobo/Roadburners of Omaha

13. 29SX276

29SX276

Just heard about Barney's passing;a great loss to the hot rod world.Barney,you will be missed,RIP.

14. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Truly a legend in his own time & one of the all-time greats. Hot rodders have lost one of their own.

Thoughts with his family...

15. Damn! He was a huge inspiration to me after reading his artical in the last Rodders Journal! He still is!!! RIP Barney!

16. DYNODANNY

DYNODANNY

Navarro you will be missed, but never forgotten.....

17. Though they pass into the wind, we will always hear their engines roar in the distance. We have a duty and a privilege to uphold the heritage we have been given. Never take your responsibility lightly or else the heritage we love will pass into the wind never to be heard from again.

18. HHRdave

HHRdave
    BANNED
    from So Cal

I regret never meeting him while he lived so close. H&H bought the rights to all of his parts and supposedly Mike is working on some sort of book about his life from interviews.

I run NAVARRO heads on my roadster.

RIP

19. drhotrodmd

drhotrodmd

I never met the guy but i sure read alot of good things about him over the years. God Speed Barney!

20. The Wrong-Un

The Wrong-Un

One hell of a nice guy and a true hot rodding legend. He'll certainly be missed. RIP Barney.

21. sololobo

sololobo

R.I.P. Brother Navarro-The picture in the post of the roadster is as classic as anything could be. I wish I could have had the pleasure of shaking the legends hand!! A great hot rod spirit in the sky!!-Sololobo/Roadburners of Omaha

22. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

* Barney Navarro * this Rodder will be missed

23. Arizona Pete

Arizona Pete

Here's the kind of guy Barney was....I ordered my heads and triple intake from him ~talked on the phone for quite a while ~ sent the payment, and apparently my check was for a little more than the actual cost of the parts and shipping ~ a while later, I got a check in the mail for $8. and change....

24. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I'm gonna grow me a pencil thin in his honor.

Barney was from a different era, talk to the few that are left, they'll learn you.

He's gone but his legacy lives on.

25. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Damn...I never got to meet him. Just killed my chance of having a good day.
    At least he gets to race again with his friends from yesteryear once again.

26. HotRodDean

HotRodDean

Another legend now gone...but, what a legacy to leave behind, he'll never really be gone. RIP Barney

27. God broke the mold when he made Barney Navarro........they don't make them like him anymore. Godspeed Barney!

'Barney Navarro'

Barney Navarro has extensive experience in several types of engine development, both automotive and marine. Barney raced boats with racing partner Ken St. Oegger, including driving and performing maintenance on a supercharged Chrysler hemi-powered boat for Henry Kaiser in the late 1950’s. Later, Mr. Navarro raced a normally aspirated engine with aluminum heads using a 50% nitro fuel.

Mr. Navarro’s related automotive activities include performing as a turbocharging consultant for Alfa Romeo and as a consultant for Garrett Air Research. He was responsible for setting up many test stands for turbocharging research for this company from 1957 to 1972.

Navarro attempted to get one of his cars qualified for the Indy 500 for three years in the late 1960’s when handling and driver problems kept the car off the starting grid. The powerplant was a twin turbocharged 199 cubic inch Rambler engine with mechanical fuel injection designed by Navarro which put out over 700 horsepower.

His exploits in early dry lakes racing have been the subject of many published articles. He developed the swing axel assembly as well as the supercharger layout for the Beatty belly tank which set numerous records at Bonneville using Navarro heads and manifolds.

Navarro Engineering’s experience isn't limited to the track - Mr. Navarro has been involved in many specialty products over the years, including the development of a heart-lung machine used for thirteen years at the Kaiser Hospital in Hollywood.

His line of concrete cutting equipment, including wall saws, hand saws and core drilling equipment, is among some of the finest on the market. They use hi-cycle electric motors designed and built by Navarro Engineering, including all of the tooling for the casting of parts and the various components of the motors and electronics.

The foundry used by Navarro Engineering is a 4th generation company and located in Huntington Park. They have been producing Mr. Navarro’s castings since right after World War II. They are machined in the USA with the most modern equipment available.

Navarro Engineering products have evolved from knowing what causes a system to work on a scientific basis and constantly verifying any assumptions. The products are second to none from the quality and finish of the castings to the theories that have gone into the basic designs. Whether it be cylinder heads or induction systems, you will be pleased to own a piece of American made history.

28. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

It's somewhat depressing when we get news of yet another pioneer's passing. It is no different with Barney. The difference will be in the continuing presence that we feel whenever an engine bearing some of the equipment he developed comes to life. I'd like to think he will be there in spirit whenever that happens and give the effort his blessing.
    The really wonderful thing is that before he left us he personally picked who would carry the responsibility of producing the many products that he developed. Now, some of those things he developed that haven't been available for years are now getting back in the hands that will preserve his legacy.
    God Speed Barney, your presence among us will be felt for years.

Frank

29. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

My God, Where the hell have I been, under a rock?
    Barney was a consumate gentleman. He was very
    respectful of Mendel "Cookie" Ledington.
    When I brought our intake to him, He said that" Cooks-Cyclone
    was the only other one that did it right.", That right there said it all for me. I spent many an hour with Barney as Elmo Rodge can attest to, got to machine heads with one of my all time Hot Rod Heros & have him on HI8 tape for posterity. I will miss him dearly just as I will my dad! What a shitty week for me, but a good week for them both, I know Barney couldn't stay long in a rest home and my dad couldn't stay long in bed-Both of those guys were like dynamite!
    Godspeed my good friend Barney!!!!! I'll see you again!!!!

30. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

It's been a little over 7 yrs since he passed. I was thinking about him this morn....this thread is worthy of a bump for one of the top legends of machinery.