Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Teach and win!!!! Halibrand Quickchanges

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Dec 12, 2006.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Alright fellas... We had a member asking about Halibrand rears and thought it was a nice opportunity to start a detailed tech/history thread. The posters that reply to this post with the best history/tech lesson on Halibrands get the last sets of TJJ/HAMB water slides that I have...

Let's hear it!

dana barlow likes this.
  2. Sixcarb

Sixcarb
    from North NJ

Ted Halibrand started with wheels I believe first around 1946 and then casting other parts including quickchanges, It seems the first castings were out of Culver City and were made of magnesium, this was the V-8 styled rear, there was also the Model a style rear which differed from the V-8 by the extra pinion hosuing which is the same in stock rears, the V-8 carried the bearing on the end of the pinion gear while the Model a did not, also the Model A casting was not as long so you have better clearance with that hosuing then you do with a V-8 housing. I'm not sure when the larger Champ styled rear was introduced but after Culver City castings came the Torrance castings and they were changed to aluminum. They used the same design as the originals, The lower shafts used in the rears were different length depending on if you used a closed rear" Torquetube" or an open driveshaft. The only thing needed to change your stock Ford rear to a quickchange was machine the stock pinion on your ford so it would fit the bearing in the rear cover of the quickchange.

3. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I want some more info.....

dana barlow likes this.

4. manacoem

manacoem

GREAT POST! halibrand info is limited around here..I like the fact that this info was current, in the day when these things were STATE OF THE ART! Keep it coming!

5. Broman

Broman
    from an Island

I am still researching...not good enough to win - but I'll bump it just to keep it going....

BTTT

6. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

The information in this article isn't exactly correct, Y'gotta remember that this article was written in 1973=Nearly 30 years after Ted & Cook worked together on these units.

A person that would really know what isn't right & makes duckette$ redoing em over & over again=Dave Enmark, beisdes using the cartridge type bearing set up (Which has been known to try and make a quick exit right out the rear cover when any kind of serious horsepower is put to it).

One must really remember that these were actually manufactured for dirt tracks and not so much pavement, (Cook made Ted aware of this and beefed up his unit accordingly so Indy guys would use em)

They did and survive to this day-City of Tacoma Special driven by none other than Jack Mc Grath. I also have an original version of our unit in a late 40's in need of a resto Sprint car that Suzanne Williams owned previously and has a spool set up.

Ford used double tappered roller bearings as well as a pinion support/bearing, We've retained this engineering as did Ted but,somehow someone thought that they would relieve resistance by altering that original setup to come up with whats in the drawing.

Pepe & Jim @ Cook's did a lot of work together which has carried on to Pepe's successor Tom's Differentials for the last several decades.

I hope that some of this info helps. Hey Ryan, Can I have a set of decals now=lol!

7. Hey Kiwi Kev...

That was a great article on the Pepe conversion. Used it when I built mine. Still going strong :cool:

Tom's Differentials motto: "Happiness is a Tight Posi"

8. Damn you Cyclone Kevin, trying to get my decals!

9. From MOON catalog...1962.
    [​IMG]

10. From the build of Bud Bryan's R&C AV8.
    [​IMG]

11. Hot Rod mag'...Nov 1960.
    [​IMG]

12. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Kiwi Kev,
    I'm glad that you know how to post whole articles, cuz I don't=lol!
    If ya notice in the 1st Hali exploded view posted,It has 3 straight roller bearings, then in the earlier ones it has only 2. There are no views of the Double Tappered roller bearing versions that were produced I wonder why not?
    Ask Dennis Kyle how many times his has been rebuilt by Dave Emark.
    It's been a few, especially if one is gonna do some travelling.

The Nov, 60 article has some cool info in it but, much outdated.
    How many Merc axles are still out there? Not many I would think???

If one is really interested in doing a reliable long term qc unit, they could talk to Nick & Ken Smith in Nampa ID. They do a lot of qc's and with the advent of large bearing ends & pull out axles that provide enough 5 on 5-1/2" wheel flange mounting area, the early looking wheel options are there.
    Now keep away from my decals=lol!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Cyclone Kevin.... Don't try to confuse me with all that technical jargon! I don't know anything about Halibrand rearends except they look and sound cool and I want one! I'm just throwing up enough stuff as I can to win the decals. PS, don't tell Ryan.

14. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

From one Kev to another,
    Your secret is safe with me, Now get your hands off my decals=Lol!:D :D :D. Yeah Hali's look cool from the rear but Cyclones are way beefier!!!!!:) :) :) ;) .

15. Damn Mr. KK, I know I have that issue of R&C around somewhere........it amazes me that you could put your hands right on it so quick!

16. QQMOON

QQMOON

I have two champ rearends both 11 bolt what hemisphere and axle tubes will fit this from an old ford i have heard early ford truck..... but also do the make an adapter to go to early V8 housings thanks in advance JR

17. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

QQMOON/
    49-52 big ford truck rear ford

18. Cyclone Kevin....YES! I think you just eliminated yourself from the decal competition with that spam. Victory is mine!