Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dean Jeffries Interview

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by craftscustoms, Dec 17, 2005.

1. craftscustoms

craftscustoms

I was in Borders this morning and found a relatively new magazine, Motor Trend Classic (issue #2). I bought it because it has an interview with Dean Jeffries, one of my favorite car builders. The interview is way too short (I'd like to see a whole book on him) but it is still pretty good. Dean looks good and seems to be enjoying life.

2. DrJ

DrJ

I got that issue a few weeks ago also and would put the quality of it right up there with TRJ, just a broader and different subject matter.
    I would like to get a copy of #1 if they are still available some where?
    Anyone from the publisher have access to or know where I can get a back issue?

3. Johnny Ace

Johnny Ace

I'll second that!
    Dean is full of stories and background that the younger crowd is going to miss out on....we ALL will miss out if an in-depth work isn't done on him.....

Personally, I would like to hear more about his early influence from Dutch, the Barris years, his monster shirt art, his car building chapters, his pinstriping period...etc etc....

He shared one story with us about the time he got loaded up on wine and painted a gigantic monster scene in his empty swimming pool that helicopters were checking out all day...why? because it seemed like the thing to do,he said....

Johnny

4. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

Dean is most definitely a one of a kind. He still operates the shop he has been in since, I believe, the early sixties and perhaps even before. Anyone that is in the LA area adjacent the Universal studios should plan on a visit. He loves to stop and yack with guests. Sorry, can't remember the exact address. Any help here?

A GREAT GREAT guy and one that gets nowhere near the recognition that he deserves. By the way, if anyone should go, have him tell you about his relationship with Barris. Then stand back!!! One thing Dean ain't is shy about telling you what he thinks. Probably why he doesn't get the recognition.

5. Johnny Ace

Johnny Ace

Actually,thanks to O&K for giving me Dean's number....
    And yep, he told us his Barris stories !

Dean Jeffries
    Jeffries Automotive Styling
    3077 Cahuenga Blvd.
    W.Hollywood .Calif

6. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Don't they have a back issues department? I flipped through that first issue, but I was standing in a Walmart and refused to buy it there. Unfortunately, I haven't found it anywhere since. I'd like a subscription!

7. JackW

JackW

I've tried to get Pat Ganhal (author of the book on Von Dutch) to do a book on Dean Jeffries. He isn't sure there is a market for it. Jeffries is one of my favorite customizers and is vastly under rated. Barris has taken credit for much of his work so he isn't as well known as he should be. Maybe if Pat Ganhal gets a bunch of e-mails about this he'll agree to do a book.