Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Dick Flint Pictorial

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
    dana barlow and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

I love this car!! I've had the June '53 HOP-UP for years and always detested the looks of the wire-wheel hubcaps on it though.

3. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

The car was never actually driven with those. They were put on the car just to add "pop" to the magazine cover.

4. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Few are as recognizable at the DF roadster. Such a cool car and another fine example of of Valley Custom's great design and craftsmanship.

Really I'm a sucker for any car with the Ascot type rear tires. Love those things.

Side note, the engine bay is about as crammed full of stuff as it can possibly be. Reminds me of Thunderbirdesq's new "t" roadster as seen at Race of Gents last weekend. 10 pounds of shit....

5. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

Makes me think of the story about Dick and Dean brainstorming the shape of the nose on the driveway with chalk and welding rod...those were the days !

6. FourBangNCanuck

FourBangNCanuck
    from ON, Canada

These are awesome photos.
    We are offering the famous DF Roadster next month at our exclusive Art Of the Automobile sale in NY! Check it out here http://www.rmauctions.com/lots/lot.cfm?lot_id=1063777
    I'm stoked because this may be record setting when its comes to traditional hot rod value.

7. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

I've always been amazed that it never won the America's Most Beautiful Roadster award. Was it REALLY that bad under the skin? Or did Flint just never enter it?

Mopar'd likes this.
  8. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I can't even imagine... Are they saying what they think it might bring?

From what I've read, you couldn't see any of it due to the belly pan... and I've read articles about the restoration process that say Valley Custom's work was really well done - which is typical of their stuff from the period.

I have crawled all over the restored car. If it was hacked up at one time, you certainly can't tell now. The detail work of what you can see is absolutely amazing. People say this car is a great example of how we over restore historical cars now. And I don't know if they mean it this way or not - but I totally agree. This is one car that was deserving of being over restored.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

One of my favorites... I wonder why its on the block?

10. 296ardun

296ardun

There was a story a while back in Street Rodder about the restoration. The original frame was scrapped as it was too weak and cut up to keep. A new A frame was then refitted to the car, but some of the original running gear also was kept for the restored version.

I dimly remember the car with an SBC after Flint sold it, pictured at an LA Roadster Club run, 60s maybe? Anyone else??

11. I hope to put up a couple more once I find them.
    Here's an ad that Kofoed ran to sell it in the early 60s, mentions the Chev engine:

Attached Files:

12. Okay, found my other file. A couple proof sheets that include some of the pics Ryan put up, but some others probably from the same photo session. And then a set of shots during the restoration showing the new frame.

Attached Files:

Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  13. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Excellent work Bob!

14. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

A beautiful roadster indeed and one of my all time favorites. Ryan I hope you do a little followup story after it sells to let us know who bought it and for how much.

15. flamingokid

flamingokid

Some cars call for an over restoration,this is one of them.

16. catdad49

catdad49

A most outstanding example of a fertile and creative mind(s). This car is outasite even today! Now jump in the wayback machine and imagine what people thought of it when it was done up to show standards. Great post and thanks, Carp

17. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep!,---Duane Kofoed owned it for many years, & wouldn't part with it.
    As many know, Duane did finally let it go to (?).---I think it was 30 yrs. ago----Don

18. Here's a couple old pics i've "borrowed" off the internet somewhere.
    Some early photos of Dick in the roadster.

Mick

Attached Files:

19. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Yes! Those are the best kinds of photos... casual...

20. Nobey

Nobey

Surprised to see the car for sale. Don Orosco is the current owner.

21. link to the restoration Dick Flint Roadster

There is a shot in an early Hot Rod issue without the grille in the track nose. This pic below is from Hot Rods trend book 102.

Attached Files:

22. Kinda neat to google image these old addresses to get a sense where these cars resided.

[​IMG]

23. autobilly

autobilly

Cool, if it goes for around $2500 again, I can buy it!
    [​IMG]

24. Along that line, Flint's house on Woodlake backed up to the same alley as Dick Megugorac's, less than two blocks apart. Not sure that's particularly meaningful to this thread, but some coincidence.

25. Maybe Flint was the inspiration for Magoo to build Hot Rods?

26. SinisterSpeed

SinisterSpeed
    from Reno, NV

It was great seeing it in person at the Roadster Show a couple years ago- it's been one of my favorite roadsters since I was a kid. It was a beautiful restoration for an outstanding car that really deserved to be at that high caliber level. It's cool that it has the legacy that it doesn't matter who owns it- whether it be Orosco or the new owner, it will always remain the Dick Flint roadster. Hopefully the future buyer takes it out to be seen at shows like Orosco did and not mothballed away in a closed door private collection to never to be seen again...

27. Spooky Two

Spooky Two
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes... it will always be The Dick Flint Roadster!

[​IMG]

28. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I'd like to see more images like this, please - of the car as it sits today. Gary

[​IMG]

29. That is a beautiful shot Gary. I would also like to see more shots...

30. Special Ed

Special Ed

Here's an image you may not have previously seen. A 35mm slide from the 1952 Los Angeles Motorama ...

[​IMG]