Register now to get rid of these ads!

1955 Lincoln Futura

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Aug 24, 2012.

1. I ran across this photo that I have never seen before taken at the 1955 Chicago Auto Show.

It was designed by Ford Motor Company and built as a Futuristic Concept car and was built entirely by hand in Turin,Italy at a cost of $250,000 and like most concept was never introduced as a production car.

George Barris was able to buy the car directly from Ford Motor Company for ONE DOLLAR :eek:.

[​IMG]

For anyone that doesn't know the fate of this car it was turned into the BATMOBILE for the Batman television series from ,,,1966-68.

I won't post a photo,,there are plenty on the internet and I don't think it belongs here. HRP

2. Wowcars

Wowcars

Sad fate of a beautiful car. I really wish someone would clone it.

3. dad-bud

dad-bud

Beautiful beautiful car, though I doubt it actually cost $250K - that would have been an absolute buttload of money in the day - if that is 'today dollars, then maybe. You coulda bought about 50 Cadillac Eldo's for that back then

4. 2935ford

2935ford

Woah! These bubble cars.
    Picture driving down the road with the California sun beating down.
    As there appears to be no windows to let down either......human under glass!

I know, I know....these are just show cars!

5. Whatever happened to the bat mobile version? I saw a legit 60's bat mobile in tenennesee, but I don't think that was it. It looked like just a body on the chassis like a stock car, not like it coulda been a production car.

6. The Continental

The Continental
    from Texas

There are kits to put the body on a late 70s Continental frame. I know Barris has one of these, but I'm not sure how many he did, but I'm going to guess a few. I know the steering wheel got changes a few different times using some different early 60s Ford steering wheels.

7. It's listed in the Ford archives,,argue with them.:mad: HRP

8. I read that George built 3 fiberglass clones to tour the country to promote the TV show. HRP

9. I remember as a kid there was an AMT model kit out of the Lincoln Futura.
    I think I had one but it may just be fake memory.

10. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

11. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

[​IMG]
    Bob Butts Replica as seen in Ohio November 7th 2009.
    In the 1990s, Bob Butts (with George Barris' consent) made replicas of the Batmobiles. He took one of the Barris-built replica Batmobiles and made a mold of it. Based on pictures from when the Futura was shown in the 1950s, he retrofitted one of his Batmobile replicas into the Futura. He only created one copy and since the original Futura became the Batmobile, this is the only known Futura in existence.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_Futura
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=644010

12. No wipers either... RainX is your friend!

13. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

Pretty crazy ride, I actually think its a great ride. I just want to drive it around town and watch people's jaws drop

14. kustomsrule

kustomsrule
    from L A

The Futura is so hip!!

15. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

Thats awesome! I want one!!

16. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Lincoln Futura

Attached Files:

17. 50ChevyFrank

50ChevyFrank

The Futura painted red was featured in a 58 or 59 Glenn Ford movie...can't remember the title.

18. HELLVIS

HELLVIS

i need one of those or two!

19. Really? HRP

20. mrjynx

mrjynx
    BANNED

"It started with a kiss" is the title.

random trivia, another film that also features a mercury concept car the xm-800. tho ive yet to watch it myself. "womans world", the male character works in a styling studio.

[​IMG]

21. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

22. No way an E-5 could afford such a car..

23. That picture in post#16 was taken in front of Clark-White Lincoln Mercury that I believe was on Commonwealth Avenue in Boston Massachusetts.I wonder what year it was?

24. That's funny,Don,,,[​IMG] HRP

25. 62rebel

62rebel

he won it in a contest. maybe he sent in enough box tops off his wheaties, or crossword puzzles, and they ran out of bowling alleys to hand out. or some other major award.

26. "Womans World" is set in and around the Ford Styling Studio. The story line is about three men competing for a job there and the Wives who motivate them. More Ford Motor Company Styling stuff than in any other film I've seen. Worth a watch...absolutely an over-looked movie. Centurion9

27. I guess I'm gonna be busy at work tomorrow watching Netflix! :D HRP