Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Searching for 1948 Tucker photos

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tucker Fan 48, Nov 26, 2010.

1. gyronaut

gyronaut

Just one last observation, Tucker Fan 48, if you will…

<O:p</O:p
    The way I see it is that #57’s body was cut off to SAVE the car for future generations to enjoy. Had it not been rescued and repaired by reinforcing the frame, it most likely would have ended up as scrap to help fund the efforts of the other Fabulous Tuckers. I’d bet that it wasn’t scrapped due to its owner’s reverence for the marque.

<O:p</O:p
    The anger that the convertible Tucker generates isn’t directed at the car itself, but rather at the SOB that created the fake story of the secret convertible project. The convertible story was created solely in an attempt to deceive and bilk an unsuspecting buyer of the car out of their cash. To desecrate the memories of <ST1:pPreston </ST1:pand Vera Tucker, Joe Lencki, Alex Tremulis and all the former Tucker employees solely for the seller’s financial gain is irreprehensible. Any and all statements the seller made about this car, any other car, or anything else, cannot and should not be relied upon.

As far as actual and/or punitive damages the current owner may claim against the sellers, that’s a tough one. Although probably fraudulently sold, the buyer eventually ended up with a truly unique frame and cowl that’s probably worth more than the recreation that sits on top of it. And there’s the irony: In an attempt to defraud and deceive, the seller let go a truly unique piece of history. And in the process, he actually devalued the car and left money on the table. Had he just researched a bit deeper, he could have been a hero to the profession rather than someone who is reviled as a liar and a cheat due only to his own selfish greed. The criminal genius was so proud of his gold medal that he had it bronzed!

So the sad part is that the convertible, although pretty, is a grim reminder of the worst of human behavior by its former owner inflicted upon the public. I’d say rescue #57 out from under its tarnished skin.

'Nuff said...

2. HuskyV8

HuskyV8

A few years ago I saw the yellow Tucker owned by Bev in San Francisco. It was cruising down 19th Avenue. A wonderful sight.

3. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

#1041 is one of my favorites. It is the most photographed Tucker. The yellow color somehow just looks great on the car even though it was not a factory color. Bev was a great mechanic so it is one of the more roadworthy Tuckers although #1008 runs like a champ.

The ride and comfort of any Tucker is amazing. Way ahead of their time.

4. I greatly appreciate threads like this, so much information is shared.

I am interested in the efforts to build how should i phrase it, cars from the spare parts. Is there one or two builds going on, and do any of them use frames from the first cars and so how are they perceived?

5. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

There is one build from spare parts going on. Another person that hopes to start one. One car that was converted to a front engine has been restored and is nearly completed. Another car that was converted to a front engine is just about to start restoration.

Two other Tuckers have begun full restorations on them.

The "parts car" that is under contruction is using a "test frame" that was used by the Tucker Corporation during testing of the drivetrain. It is much heavier than a standard frame but is simular. The car is what it is, a car from parts. The owner does not try to fool anyone. He is using the firewall from body #1052 so some do refer to it as #1052. It will consist of about 80% Tucker parts. They have to fabricate part of the roof and one door. The front and rear clips are 100% Tucker as are most of the doors. The frame was made by Tucker but is slightly different than most cars. The owner has an interior from a Tucker. Suspension and other parts are also Tucker. When completed I doubt most people will be able to tell the difference between it and the first 50 cars. I'd expect it will always be worth somewhat less than the others. If the car comes up for sale down the road it will be interesting to see how collectors treat it.

6. Mojo

Mojo

Was #1052 a complete car at one time? Or just an unfinished body?

7. gyronaut

gyronaut

Here are body numbers 51 through 58 (closest to camera), minus #57, as they stood in February, 1949.

[​IMG]

And a closeup of #'s 51 - 56:

[​IMG]

This is also most likely the identical condition as when they were sold at the 1950 plant auction - No doors, no fenders, no hood, no trunk. Just a frame, a cowl (except #58 is incomplete), and body...

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  8. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

Even more interesting is that these photos show the gap between Body 56 & 58. It also shows the condition the bodies were in. Imagine what they looked like after sitting in an Illinois farm field for seven years and what the snow and rain would have done to them.

9. That is unreal how Life magazine took them photos.

10. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

As first reported on the Tucker Museum.Org site, Tucker #1034 is for sale and will be auctioned next month. Gooding will be the auction company. The Cofer Family decided to sell the car which they have owned since 12/5/1985. The car is very original and has only 5000+ miles on it.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  11. DJCruiser

DJCruiser
    from CT

scan0095.jpg

scan0096.jpg

scan0097.jpg

scan0098.jpg

scan0099.jpg

probably from the travelling exhibit days.

12. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

These were taken at the McCormick in Chicago. Nice photos. Got anymore? These are a great example of what I'm looking for.

13. FC49

FC49

When were those taken? That chassis has the 5x5 engine? Is that frame the one now being used to assemble a car from parts?

Frank C.

14. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

Taken in 1962. The frame has the 589 on it and is in Dave Cammack's collection in VA.

15. noboD

noboD

TF 48, was this engine part of the Steelton,Pa. stash at one time? I think I remember hearing of the 5X5 engine being there. Sure wish I had gone to see it before it was all sold. A friend used to take care of those cars and show them for the owner.

16. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

Hopefully you won't give up on the thread because of one guy that wants to try to drive the price of his car up. He made a bad acquisition knowing little about the car and now is desparate to bail his way out of it. It's sad. If we all ignore him maybe he'll find someplace else to rant.

This has been a wonderful thread with well over 800 positive posts. Hopefully we can have another 800 without our friend ruining it for everyone.

17. Ford52PU

Ford52PU
    from PA

Really enjoyed reading all 44 pages of this, except for a few postings beating a dead horse, please keep posting TF48.

18. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

There was no Tucker Convertible, and no amount of huffing ,blowing, and posturing will make it so. This has been a great thread and I thank you for it TF48. Hopefully shelbygirlwhiner will take his pile of parts and post elsewhere.

19. biscaynes

biscaynes

x2!

20. T.L.

T.L.
    from Colorado

I love the Tucker.
    'Makes me sick what the "Big Three" did to Preston...

21. Lowriders Art Gallery

Lowriders Art Gallery
    from Montana

Great thread until recently. I am still trying to get all of the documentation in order, on the Tucker that got wrecked in Billings,Montana when it was on display. I have found out that it was the Tucker driver's fault. The Tucker was pulling out of the new Tucker dealership when it hit a 40 Ford sedan.

22. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

Have you been able to determine what part of the Tucker was damaged yet and what color it was? I'd love to confirm it by tracking it to the actual car. It would be a great piece of history to add to someones Tucker.

My records show a green Tucker arrived in Billings on June 22 1948. It was only there a few days. This would have to been a very early Tucker as not many were built by that date. It would have to been #1006, #1007, #1015, or #1017. Most likely #1015. I have photos that I took last year while #1015 was being restored. If you can find out where it was damaged we might see some evidence in those photos if it was #1015.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  23. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

This thread has been all cleaned up...

24. biscaynes

biscaynes

thank you ryan!

25. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

Thank you so much to Ryan for doing that. This thread has been very enjoyable. I noticed today that there has been over 110,000 views of this thread. That puts the thread in the Top 100 most viewed threads on the HAMB. Pretty cool for a car that most people have never seen.

Lets keep everything positive going forward. I promise to do so as well.

26. TheLogLady

TheLogLady

This has been a great thread. I am so much more educated for it also..cheers !..had to bite my tounge a few times there..:rolleyes: keep it up.

27. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is Tucker #1034 which will be up for auction next month

28. noboD

noboD

Amen to that. Thanks Ryan, a much better idea then closeing the thread. There is a lot of good information here.

29. Thanks to Tucker Man 48 for the great information, and to Ryan for cleaning things up so we can enjoy it!