Register now to get rid of these ads!

700R4 Won't Shift Out of 1st

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by burger, Dec 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. burger

burger

Hello all,

Please help me figure out why my 700R4 is not shifting correctly. Under normal driving, it will not shift out of first gear. It will only shift out of 1st at WOT. I have a diagnostic pressure gauge connected to the trans, and I am reading 80 PSI in park at idle. This raises to 150 PSI if the throttle is pressed (in park). TV cable has been checked several times and is adjusted properly.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Ed

2. Is there a Vacuum Modulator? I don't know these xmsn's but that was a problem with my Turbo 350 once.

3. Hi!

Hi!
    from SoCal

Your kickdown is adjusted wrong.

4. volksjunky

volksjunky

Had the same problem a few years back in my daily driver. Ended up being one of the pumps in the valve body was chewed up. had to have the whole tranny redone from all the metal in it. I only had first and reverse.

5. kisam

kisam

Ed,
    I had this happen on a new rebuild and it was a simple fix for mine. I disconnected the TV cable from the carb then pulled the cable till I felt spring tension and let it snap back. I did it several times and it dislodged some trash. Worth a try.

6. burger

burger

Thanks. We tried this a hundred times and no dice! From what I've read, it sounds like either the TV valve is stuck or the governer gear is stripped. The governer is much easier to get too (and much less messy) so I will investigate that first.

Still, I'm hoping some transmission expert will chime in with something more definitive.

Thanks,
    Ed

7. hdman6465

hdman6465
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

x2 on the governor. Check the gear and make sure the valve is not stuck in the governor. If the modulator is bad, you should be able to manually upshift it. If the throttle valve, mod., and gov. are OK, then it probably is internal.

rockable likes this.
  8. PDQ36

PDQ36

Jeez - good luck with this - I sold my 700r4 & installed an 'Old School' TH350 'cos I got techno phobic about the later box. You should try sorting a problem with one of these when you live over here!

9. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

had the same problem with my 94 700r,everything fine then wouldnt go out of first .after troubleshooting for mec problems,found no power coming to the plug.when someone installed a remote starter they must of manhangled the ign switch as the lead to the tranny eventially wiggled itself out its terminal.how is yours setup ?

10. redoilman

redoilman
    from iowa

x3 on the governor assembly.Its easy to get to and a quick inspection will tell you if its bad. Was it working ok and then just quit all of a sudden? Another thing you could try is find a clear area and put it in reverse and floor it several times. Line pressure is higher in reverse and sometimes will flush out anything that might be hangin up the throttle valve. Have fixed a few by doing this.

11. Either the T.V. piston is sticking in the valve body (common) or the T.V. cable isn't operating properly.

Varnish build-up or a burr in the T.V. bore generally will cause the T.V. piston to stick.

Some of the causes of the T.V. cable not working properly are wrong or incorrect carb brackets, aftermarket T.V. cables (like Lokar), not adjusted properly etc.

These don't exsist on 700R4's

12. burger

burger

Yep. It was working just fine and then quit shifting.

I can try the reverse/flooring test on Friday.

TV cable seems to be working. While in park with the TV cable removed from the carb, I can pull on the cable and increase trans pressure. It goes from 80 PSI to something around 150 PSI.

I actually don't have any electrical connection to the trans at all and never have. That being said, the truck only has a few miles on it since the trans was installed, but those first few miles all worked as they should.

I cannot manually upshift the trans. It acts the same with the shift lever in all 4 drive positions. Sorry to be a little green, but is the modulator part of the governor?

Thanks,
    Ed

13. sawzall

sawzall

perplexed as well.. but hoping that youfind the solution and post it here, my next one will have a r4 or a aod..

jeff

14. burger

burger

Hey Jeff!

Long time, no see! I think I'm getting to this bottom of this. Once it's fixed, I'll post back with the solution.

I have the 54 truck almost finished. Just this and a few little things. Know anyone who's looking?

Ed

15. transman304

transman304

Check out this chart. No upshifts 1) Adjust cable 2) Very high mainline pressure - Stuck PR valve or pump slide 3) Inspect TV bracket for proper function - is the plunger going flush at WOT ? 4) Make sure no.10 checkball is being lifted by TV linkage 5) Sticky TV valve 6) Abuse valve bore worn - Can bleed off governor supply oil around valve 7) Check for any cross leaks case or valve body 8) Inspect governor for worn seal or gear 9) Check that valve is free in the governor 10) Inspect governor screen and passages for dirt 11) Check valve body gaskets for proper holes 12) Check spacer plate for blocked holes 13) Incorrect TV cable 14) Pump cover incorrectly drilled 15) 2nd apply piston outer seal cut or missing 16) If 1987 or later - Orifice cup plug in rear of case missing 17) If 1988 or later - No. 9 checkball installed in case, with square hole in spacer plate (no upshift cold only, warm it is OK) :)

16. Chandler b

Chandler b

Hello I know this post is very old but I have the exact same issue with my 700 did you end up finding the issue

17. Unfortunately, @burger has not been on the HAMB since last December.

Chandler b likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.