Register now to get rid of these ads!

Silver Bullet front engine Dragster pics wanted

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1939fiat, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Back in 1966 or so, 3 guys from Wisconsin built a front engine dragster that was powered by a SB Dodge engine.. The car received a lot of "ink" for being a swoopy style dragster, which was uncommon for the era.
    It's the car on my Avitar <<<<<.
    Anyway, I'm looking for any info or pics or write ups pertaining to this car.I have a LOT of it now,but I'm sure someone likely took pictures of the car ,either at shows or at a race track, (possibly Great Lakes Dragway). It did run at the U S Nationals in 67.

The car was sold around 1969 to a guy in Ontario Canada,and ended up going to Europe for several years. It did find it's way back to North America,and was stripped .
    I found a chassis & a body about 11 yrs ago,at a swap meet. Bought the car and with a little help from the internet and a few historians was able to determine what we had.
    3 years ago,we found,(or it found us),a LOT of missing parts from the dragster.

What we are looking for is any pics or articles that pertain to the car.
    Thanks to Joel N for identifying the car for us (1999),and Curt R for many pics he sent(2009).

Thanks;
    Rick

2. Foul

Foul

3. ==================================================

Hi Dan;
    Yes, the car IS still around ,BUT unrestored to date.
    When we bought JUST the chassis & body in 1999, the search was on to first,chase the history (on going).,and secondly ,find the missing parts..
    There are still pieces missing,but nothing that can't be recreated.

This home built car received a lot of press back in the day.
    I was surprised to see it on the Hemmings blog..Thanks Stan for forwarding it along.
    Any pictures or information would be appreciated.

Rick

4. pictures of the Silver Bullet dragster for the unknowing and some builders info.

"I designed & built the Silver Bullet in 1964 -1965. It was garage built using a stock block 273 Dodge, running on gas with our own home built fuel injection.

Held the Drag News 1320 record for CG/MR at 142 mph. Later ran fuel in same engine at 162 mph.

Presently being restored in Port Stanley, Ontario.

Stan Johnson, Brookfield, WI

HAMBer "1939 Fiat" has all the build photos, personal photos and promo photos that Stan and I could find, at this time.

Any other photos of the Silver Bullet at drag strips or shows, that any body else can find, send them to "1939 Fiat". I am sure he will appreciate.

Curt R

Attached Files:

5. Curt,

I think Stan built that whole car with the speed wrench on the floor in the picture. And it bears a strong similarity to a certain Bonneville car that's missing a piston. Turns out Stan isnt that creative after all, he just recycles 50 yr old ideas!!!!

Brandon
    #39 Datsun Crew Cheif

6. He has added a set of ratchet box wrenches to the tool box.

Attached photos of cylinder head and piston carnage suffered at 2010 B'ville Speed Week.
    Fresh block and heads have been shipped to Stan, for building of new engine.

You must come to 2011 B'ville Speed Week , subject your highboy to the salt. Surprising amount of salt corrosion damage to the race car from 2010 Speed Week.

John will be running the lakester, also.

Attached Files:

7. Hey Curt... not only do you know a lot of "Hot Rod" history... you were part of it! (Really old fart ... Hahaha!)

I look forward to seeing this car in person!

p.s. let me know if you need a hand throwing all that scrap of yours in the shop into the dumpster... "What are friends for...?":cool:

8. Hey Rick... any current shots of the car?

How far does it have to go to be show ready?

9. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Just thought I'd add the picture from Hemmings for you. That was a really awesome looking dragster. It'll be great to see it back in that form.

[​IMG]

10. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

11. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Here's one from the same sight that let me get a link.
    [​IMG]

12. That thing is fantastic!!!!!

Is that how it looks now?

Is that the copy canopy for the cockpit?

Is that the original Fuel Injection unit Stan built for it?

13. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

14. Wow I've only seen it from a 3/4 front view, now seeing the side and rear it's still WOW !

15. I was wondering if this car will make it to LARS???

Maybe some midwest shows???

16. Update..

Car is still in un restored condition..I know,I know..whats taking so long..?
    Thanks to Stan and Curt for offering up all the stuff they had. It's been fun just chasing the history..and we have accumulated a lot of history..

We started with JUST a chassis and a piece of the body..we have chased leads all over Ontario Canada,and have managed to find many of the missing parts..But not all.

After Stan sold the car in 69, it was shown all over Europe,before coming back to Ontario,where it was sold and parted.
    That's where we came in !!

This story isn't over by a long shot..bare with us..
    Thanks;
    Rick

17. aircap

aircap

Cool as hell!

18. Thanks Rick...

19. your very welcome..wingnutz
    this story isn't over yet !!

Rick
    ====================================

20. Silver Bullet update..

We decided to put the Silver Bullet dragster in a car show close to home on the weekend.. This move was stirred on by a buddy of mine who made a comment that he would never see it together in one piece,as it's been in my garage for over 10 years. (he is terminal with Cancer)
    I took his remark as a challenge and proceeded to assemble with what parts we had found from various locations across Ontario Canada.

I hope Stan and Curt don't slam me ,but here it sits as is.
    We also did a photo op. with the two of us,which was a special moment.

Thanks;
    Rick

Attached Files:

21. hotrodihc

hotrodihc
    from London Ont

Thats a cool car!

22. Hey Rick,

Way cool thing, you did for your buddy !!

Good to see the old heap, lookin like a race car, almost, I forgot how ugly it looked after some one repainted it.

Keep workin at it.

Do you have any racing trips with the Fiat planned for the USA?

Curt R

23. Good on ya Rick for doing that, I'm sure both of you had a good time being around it.

24. Curt;
    We plan to haul the fiat to Bowling Green to do the "memory Lane" program.
    will be racing the Bantam in the avitar at Thompson Ohio,Milan Mich.and batavia NY for sure..
    maybe more if I can find some apare $$ to haul it around with..

Rick

25. Swade;

I told no one I was going to enter this car in any show as is...mainly because it hasn't been outside in YEARS !!!
    But it was the right thing to do !!

Rick

26. This is right on so many levels. Congrats Rick.

27. thanks Rich..

Rick
    ==================================

28. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

Yes Rick it was not only the right thing to do, it was a wonderful and thoughtful gift for your friend. The car looks great also. Bob

29. Thanks Bob..see you this summer.

Rick
    =============================