Register now to get rid of these ads!

CMC Camshaft #1539

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 38plymouth, Apr 11, 2009.

1. 38plymouth

38plymouth

Just pulled a cam from a 350 thats marked CMC 1539. Anybody familiar with this cam? Aftermarket grind copy of an LT1 maybe??? Thanks

2. 38plymouth

38plymouth

Bttt.......anyone?

3. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Have a couple of different cams with CWC on shaft,,form what i've been told has nothing to do with ID'ing the cam itself.. Is anything stamped on the ends?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  4. I believe you are referring to CWC, which stands for Campbell Wyatt Cannon, the foundry that made the blank for the cam grinder...whoever that may have been. Most of the major grinders use, or have used at one time or another, CWC blanks (as well as blanks from other companies).

All this, unfortunately, does nothing to actually I.D. the cam itself...:)...any other markings??

5. 38plymouth

38plymouth

Ok, starting from the back to the front, 1539 1.5 18A 04 D4 CWC CMC. Kinda hard to read the 04 D4, might be 04 04. Thanks

6. Parts48

Parts48
    from Tucson, Az
    1. Hot Rod Veterans

Try here
    http://www.camshaftmachine.com/index.html

Camshaft Machine Company. Under construction but does have a support phone number

Google: Looks like it was bought by Crane a few years ago. Maybe a little tough to call them ?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  7. JAWS

JAWS

What homespun said is right on. Those designations are cast into the shaft it'self, right? If so then you are where he was talking about.

To identify the actual cam manufacturer/grinder and grind you will be looking for designations STAMPED into the ends, either end not the shaft, the end or face of the end cam bearing journal.:D

8. Warpspeed

Warpspeed

Yup, foundry marks are cast into the shaft. Cam grinders STAMP the ends to identify the specific grind. It may even be a special experimental grind requested by a particular customer to try out some idea, in which case the number may mean nothing in itself. For instance, I could go to a cam grinder and order a strange cam with a different firing order, or even reverse engine rotation. The cam grinder might call it the "Warpspeed Special" and stamp it WSS001. Years later, someone may find this old cam, and wonder what WSS001 meant. He would probably have no chance of ever finding out what the cam was for. If it is a standard commercial grind, that would be different and your chances are pretty good of finding out what it is.

9. 38plymouth

38plymouth

Thanks for the replies. The guy I got it from said it made good power on low end in the 350. Also said it didn't sound radical so I'm putting it in a 305 and hoping for the best. Nothing stamped on either end though. It appears to have approx .440/.440 lift.

10. frankied1987

frankied1987
    from mass

lol i actualy found the same cam in a 350 and im putting in my 305 this weekend howd it work out for ya???

11. rjaustin421

rjaustin421

Camshaft Machine was an OEM grinder that had an aftermarket division called Wolverine Cams. I was a Wolverine dealer and user for years. Crane bought them in the early 90's and moved everything From Osseo Michigan to Daytona where the name disappeared. They had a great product going way back.

12. chase knight

chase knight

Camshaft Machine Company is still in business in their long time location in Jackson, Michigan. Their phone number is 517-787-2040. Crane did not move them to Daytona. Senior CMC management purchased the company back from Crane, but Crane retained the rights to the Wolverine name.

13. Chase, good to see you here....didn't know you were on the H.A.M.B.

14. pdq67

pdq67

.440" lift, I bet it is a Crane 266.

At 266/266, 110/105, 440"/.440", hi-cam.

pdq67

15. johnnie

johnnie
    from indiana

Chase, how is the Crane operation doing as of now. I read all kinds of comments. It would be helpful to clear it up!

16. chase knight

chase knight

The new Crane Cams has been up and running for just over a year. The ignition line is at full strength. The camshaft and valvetrain products are at about 80%. We've been grinding cams all of this year, both steel and cast. Most components are in decent supply, and the new catalog will be released within about a month. We're still in Daytona Beach, and literally growing each week. Our toll-free tech line is 866-388-5120, and that's probably all I should say without sounding like an advertisement, and gettin booted off of here. Thanks, Chase

17. johnnie

johnnie
    from indiana

Thanks Chase. That clears it up for me!