Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help With Split Rims

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dullchrome, Nov 10, 2009.

1. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

HELP...I have a set of split rims from a 64 Ford that I want to get the tires off of. Does anyone know of a place that is willing to deal with dismounting these in the SoCal area?

2. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

where are you in so cal

3. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

They are in in San Clamente

4. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

i got a guy that will do them but im down at the boarder. Its hard to find a place that will do them anymore. Have you tried doing it yourself if your just taking em apart for the tires?

5. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

Just taking them apart for the tires. If someone can take them apart they can have the wheels, all that I want are the tires.

I have heard horror stories about taking them apart. Are they as hard/dangerous as I have heard?

6. havi

havi

depends if we're talking lock ring style, or widowmakers.

7. fordfan289

fordfan289
    from indiana

Taking them apart is not the problem or that dangerous. The problem is when you remount and air up. Just take the valve core out and go to town.

8. gas pumper

gas pumper

Once you let the air out, there is no danger.

What size are these?

9. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

no, its puttin them back together thats dangerous, the air preasure can make them fly apart if not put back together right. We just put them in a cage, and walk away. Once theres no air in them theres no energy to make em fly apart. On a side note we told a guy to put the tire in the cage so he wouldnt get hurt, and whats he do, gets inside the cage and fills the tire up thats outside the cage. classic

10. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

They are 15 inch widowmakers

11. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

Dude, i'm laughin' my ass off in my office right now. The visual of that is priceless.

The stupidest thing I ever saw someone do was take all the air out of a split rim/tire, loosen everything up... then put a shot of starter fluid in it and toss a match to see how high the ring would shoot.

Never hung out with that dude again.

-Chris

12. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

Should the wheel come apart once there is no air in the tire or do you use a regular tire machine to remove the tire from the wheel

13. fordfan289

fordfan289
    from indiana

Remove the ring and the tire should slide right off.

14. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

should just slide off

15. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

The stupidest thing I ever saw someone do was take all the air out of a split rim/tire, loosen everything up... then put a shot of starter fluid in it and toss a match to see how high the ring would shoot.

Never hung out with that dude again.

-Chris[/QUOTE]

Thats pretty good, i wanna try that! but i do shit like that whenever i get the chance. The same guy and another were trying to get the bead back on a tractor tire with like 90 psi through the valve and like five gallons of grease, i walked up kicked it and sprayed a bunch of ether in it, lit it and poped it and the grease got everyone but me. i laughed at em and left. i love being a boss sometimes.

16. Take out the valve, break the bead, remove the lock ring, tire comes off. If it is a true 2 piece wheel, you must pry them apart after the bead is broken.any decent truck tire place should do it. If they won't break one down,they are stupid or lazy.:mad:

17. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

@ Junk yard kid:

Yeah, I love reseating beads with starter fluid. I love peoples reactions to it more lol.

I had a WWII Jeep operators manual with a WWII Jeep I used to own years ago... it actually states in the operators manual to use either ether, or "some other volatile fluid" to help assist the bead seating process.

It a really good trick if you're into fourwheeling and lose a bead in the middle of nowhere. I know it's got me home a couple of times...

18. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Again, as stated above somewhere; Taking them apart with any air at all will take your head off. Maybe an arm or shoulder also. You dont get to choose. Make DAMNED SURE THE AIR IS OUT.

The reason regular tire shops won't do it anymore is because they have been told by their insurance company that they can't. They are smart by not doing it.

19. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

CJ Steak

ya its saved me a few times to, im not into four wheelin much anymore but im thinkin of gettin another rig and i was into dune buggies and jumping them and sliding them into shit, same with my trucks. Yep gasoline works well to just spin the wheel real good and get ready to put it out after it beads.

20. fordfan289

fordfan289
    from indiana

After high school I worked at ryder truck and have done several even in the cage airing them up they still scared me and im fearless. Shortly after I quit I was at grandads junkyard and wathched him do it he just put log chain thru ceter hole around tire in 4 places talk about scary.

21. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

There are about 5 basic designs of multiple piece wheels. Of those only the style that comes apart in the center of the drop are truly dangerous and you can not visually comfirm they are seated and locked. Any that have the ring out at the tire bead are safe enough IF you have a idea how to do the job correctly and the parts are not damaged. i have done many and still do on occasion.
    But back to the OP let out ALL the air break the bead and remove what ever style ring and the tire will come off.