Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anybody Build Vintage Hubley Model Kits?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wishihad147, Mar 25, 2007.

1. wishihad147

wishihad147
    from delaware

wanted to see if anyone else builds metal hubley models. i have a 29 roadster thats bare metal with black wheels. i just ordered a woody wagon off egay and was wondering some ideas to paint it. i cant afford to buy a real car yet so i figure these are the closest thing. i tried to get a pic of my model on here but i cant get the pic small enough. i ll keep playing with it.

2. TerryE

TerryE

A couple of years ago, I found a Hubley kit at a flea market. I remember seeing these in the Hobby Shops as a kid and just had to get it. I picked up the Model A Vicky kit. My 2 teenage sons and I tore into building it. Every time one of us had some spare time, we would grab a file or some emery cloth and get to it. After a couple of weeks we proudly displayed our completed "A". I just picked up a Hubley Model A Roadster. These kits are getting very difficult to find up here in Canada. My younger son and I are working on this one. Some of the parts are in primer and ready for paint. Attached are some pictures.

Attached Files:

3. I am working on one with my son right now. It takes hours to remove all the casting flashing and smooth up the edges.
    A dremel tool helps speed things along. I couldn't imagine not using one.
    he is 6 years old, but can build stuff like this. Once we put it together, he will be taking it apart and rebuilding it over and over.
    We are going to paint it this week and start putting it together.

They come up on ebay and sometimes at swap meets. I buy them if they are reasonable. Despite the tedious prep work, they are really good kits. Well worth the time spent with your kid especially.

4. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's some 'stockers' I built many years ago. First group are Model A's and the second pic is a '32 Chevy. I also have a Linclon & a Packard to build, but have never gotten around to it. Ditto for a few A's that I want to chop, etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The only thing to remember with them are they were made when die-cast models didn't have a lot of detail. They are rather 'chunky' and some seem a little off in proportion. If you want detail and accuracy in the model I would look toward a plastic kit.
    If not go for it, they are easy and fun to build. Just remember to etch prime them before painting, after all they are metal!
    For info on painting the wood grain ask over on this site,
    http://www.scaleautomag.com/sca/community/forum/default.asp
    Just don't tell them I sent you, I got kicked off for upsetting someone they are VERY PC!

6. daveb602@hotmail.com

[email protected]
    from Texas

Have I got a deal for you regarding building Hubley Models. I would like to invite you to have a look at our Hubley Custom Diecast Group on Yahoo.com. Our club is for people that enjoy building and exchanging information on the Hubley Diecast Models that were built in the 1960's. That is a lot of great information and many, many photo albums of Hubley cars.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HubleyCustomDiecast

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Dave Burkett

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  7. i have about 20 of them
    and for Christmas a few years back i took the roadster that my dad built (and i demolished as a kid) and restored it to perfection.
    i detailed it to the max
    machined some actual engine parts, taillight buckets and a full interior.
    the old guy almost shed a tear
    tk

8. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

yes but don't think they were vintage back when I did ,,lol

9. Not me. I like plastic. It's much easier to modify and swapping parts with other kits is easy...there aren't many kits in 1/18 to rob parts from.

Whole lotta choppin' goin' on.

[​IMG]

MPC Chrysler straight-8 engine (sorta. I used the kit chrome parts then scratchbuilt a new block using the kit parts as a guide). AMT wheels and tires from their '32 Phantom Vickie kit.

[​IMG]

10. i actually made a hot rod out of one
    i used 3/16 key stock and made my own z'd frame
    no fenders
    i didnt chop up the body since i didnt think i could weld it back together
    turned out cool
    tk

11. Jax2A

Jax2A

While looking for my old pinewood derby car for another thread. I found a couple of models my dad had built when he was a kid. Go to research them and found this thread. Here's my dad's old Hubley's that I've been hanging on to.

Attached Files:

12. I sell the Hubley models at Carlisle and Hershey. There is a French-Canadian guy who always buys me out at the fall Hershey show. I get them in many places and have about 20 in the boxes right now. I also still have 5 built models that I put together way back when. Hubley's are kool.

Murph

13. Long Roof Larry

Long Roof Larry

I am into the Hubley plastic kits. Always looking for good "builder" quility plastic kits of the wagons.

[​IMG]

14. Jax2A

Jax2A

Murph,
    Do you have any of the kits like the one's my dad built in my post above? I'd be interested if you do, I'd like to build one to display with his.
    Thanks, Jack

15. Jack, They are the Hubley "Hot Rods" and are pretty rare in the box...and pricey. I have two that were put together when I found them. I'll take some photos and send them along. PM me your e-mail address.

Murph

16. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I remember reading with some awe that serious Hubley metal fans got their kit parts copper plated so they could use solder for filling seams and such...that's dedication!

17. TsallyMontalia1

TsallyMontalia1
    from Penna

I believe I saw this same Group on ebay in the Q&A section. They were HMK.Org with emaIL [email protected].

18. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

I personally only have one . Im trying to get away from toys.Use to collect various toys,Got away from it for a few years and now Im building models and real cars also.Again ,I got into boats for awhile.

19. RLWiked

RLWiked

I buy them,build them,restore them and sell them...my current projects are a Packard Dietrich,and a Packard Sport Pheaton...love it !

20. smokinguitarplayer

smokinguitarplayer
    from reading pa

I have about 50 of these kits in my basement ..years ago I bought them , various stages of assembly ..some missing parts, some complete ... and sorted everything out , built a few, but I have them all in seperate boxes here and I want to sell them ..anybody interested email to me off list [email protected]. I am near Reading Pa. would prefer to sell the lot.

21. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

I have two models probably from the early 70's still in sealed boxes

22. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Using a Dremel tool is about the best thing you could do, as mentioned above. Otherwise, pack a lunch, as you need one before you get all the flash off with a small file or sand paper. The rest of the kit is easy. Gary

23. My dad built three... one for each of my brothers and I.

We used to race them at the MAFCA events and show them too... back in the 70's.

I still have mine, it's a little beat up and missing a few parts.

Anyone have any extra parts lying around?

It kinda got screwed up when I moved a few times.

It looks like I need two tail lights, a headlight bar and head lights, and the glass...

Somehow the rear bumper got broke-off... but I guess I can live with that.

Help would be much appreciated!

Sam

Taken today... next to the award I won for 1st Place at the 16th Northern CA Roundup in 1978... I was 8.

[​IMG]

24. Oh yea... I have the car that matches it.

My dad built this in 1973... sold it in 1990 and I bought it back in 2005 after finding it on e-bay!

I'm "re-doing" it now... hot rod chassis... but keeping everything else the way it was!

Sam

[​IMG]

25. Hi, Which models do you have? For Sale?

Murph

26. Crookshanks

Crookshanks

I just acquired about 12 in the boxes for sale as well. Inquire if interested.

27. 41 C28

41 C28

The old Hubley classic cars, the Packards and Duesenbergs make beautiful models. I have a few that I've picked up and haven't done anything with except put on a shelf. Also have 2 or 3 still in the box that maybe I'll build someday. I do have examples of the "hot rod" and the "Indy" race car.

Attached Files: