Register now to get rid of these ads!

1949 Chevy 3100 What's it worth?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Suicide-D, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Suicide-D

Suicide-D
    from Texas

I need some help establishing a value of this truck. I am looking to buy it from a co-worker and want to offer him a fair price. I haven't seen it in person yet and will try to give the best description I can. The truck has been in 2 families since new. My co-worker being the 2nd family, was passed down through 3 drivers in the first family. No rust and the only damage to speak of is a dent in the driver's side cab corner. Has been in the garage for the last 14 years seeing very little action. Truck has under 75,000 miles on it. Still 6 volt. everything works. Radio will even work after warming up. Barring anything major I find after laying hands on it and crawling under it. What should I offer him?

Thanks,
    Darryl

Huge pictures in the link.
    http://www.artomobiletees.com/truck/

[​IMG]

2. Big T

Big T
    from Florida

Pricing something like this can depend on motivation of seller, region of country, current economy, desireability of vehicle and sentimental value to owner. From the pictures and the description you provided, I would start at about 5k. This is assuming it cranks, runs, drives, stops. I've seen this type (3 window, 6 banger, 6 volt, fairly original) and condition go anywhere from 5-9k. Also, use e-bay as somewhat of a reference tool on completed auctions of similar rides near you.

3. farley5150

farley5150

I would suggest $6k - $7k. The radio is a nice piece to get with the truck, as they are a little expensive on their own. The history and low milage are very comforting as well. If you plan on modifying it, you could probably get more for your money buying another one for more than $7k. It looks to be in great shape.

4. Orange54

Orange54
    from Missouri

I say offer him $5,000 and go from there. It's worth a lot more if the hood is lined up when shut. That's a real pain to get done.

Looks like a nice truck.

5. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

Non-original paint makes me nervous. I always assume the worst. I'd look it over really good to make sure it isn't a rough truck with a bunch of filler before I suggested a price.

6. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like a later model motor. That is a good thing. Nice looking,clean Chevy .As Orange54 said,offer him $5K and go from there. Good luck.

7. Suicide-D

Suicide-D
    from Texas

Thanks for all the input. I had a number of 6,000 in my head so it looks like I was in the ballpark. Now I need to go see it and drive it.

8. 6inarow

6inarow

I wouldnt make an offer - someone always gets torched. When you go to Walmart you see a price on everything. Make him put a price on it then decide. Youo might even save some money. My take is that these trucks arent worth that much - nobody will pay much for them in this condition. thats why they are such a bargain.

9. I'm picking up a 5 window 53 this weekend for $5k. 99% original. Runs good. Driving it 4 hours home.

10. bigtumtum

bigtumtum

this car would do in Netherlands around 12000euro = 15360$

:D