Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's Involved In Importing A Vintage Car Into Canada?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Glass_Packs, May 20, 2007.

1. Glass_Packs

Glass_Packs

My curiousity is getting the best of me and I'm considering purchasing a 1962 Mercury from Western NY and bringing it into Southern ON. Problem is I have absolutely no clue what's involved. Although the car will run/stop/drive, it's a project car (been stored away since 1999). There's plently of info out there about importing vehicles into Canada, but nothing detailing the process for a car 25 years or older. Does anyone have any experience with this? Any info is appreciated!

Thanks,
    Tom - Glass_Packs

2. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

It's pretty easy.................if you follow the rules. For a complete description, check on www.canadianrodder.com under the Forums section.
    For a short blurb, make sure you send the car's title/registration 72 hours in advance to the US customs at the border you plan on crossing. Make sure you get there well before 4pm and never on weekends. Be prepared to wait a couple of hours. The US Customs officials check to make sure the vehicle isn't stolen. Once on the Canadian side, check in with Customs and be prepared to open your wallet for GST. What ever you do, do not fudge the price you paid.

3. Glass_Packs

Glass_Packs

Thanks for the site 36couper! The biggest point they mention is for U.S. Customs to have the title 3 days prior to bringing your car across the border. Also, they mention that it's best to trailer your car since it's impossible to place insurance on the vehicle while it's still in the U.S.

Thanks,
    Tom - Glass_Packs

4. mbmopar

mbmopar
    from Canada

Make sure when you get through to Canadian customs you have a clear title and they check off the appropriate box for title " Clear " or " Salvage " on the Vehicle Import Form - Form 1, when I brought my 55 Dodge 1/2 ton across from the US , some paper pusher down in Prescott ON marked on my paperwork the title as "Salvage" and this was two years ago, just noticed it...now I have to go down on Tuesday and get a new form filled out...the customs agent I spoke to on the phone asked me why it took so long to find this error....I said I've been working on the truck...don't start on the time issue, two minutes or two years, they still buggered it up.

Make sure the clear title is in US customs hands 3 days previous at least as mentioned, make sure the title section is correctly marked at Canadian customs and get to the Ministry and get it registered into you name in Canada asa-freakin-p.....you don't have to have insurance on it to register it as the owner, good luck and let us know how you make out.......we're all pullin 4 you !

Derek:D

scruff likes this.
  5. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

You guys are spot on!
    I did this last year with my falcon.
    It's very easy.
    Canadian customs was the worst part, but still fine.
    Don't screw around at customs, haha.

Dave

6. geecee

geecee
    from Whitehorse

The biggest problem is if you dont have a title american customs wont let it leave,a bill of sale wont do without a title !!

7. We sold one to a guy in Canada with no reg and he had to make a lot of calls to figure it out, but with the same DMV forms we use to get a reg and pictures of the VIN he should be okay. A pain in the ass though. If your car has no reg, it's probably easier to have the seller register it for a few weeks and generate the paperwork, than to bring it in with none.

8. I sold a guy a car that had problems converting the transferable regi in to a title on your guys side, I had to send him the NY DMV link on how cars didn't have a title before 73. Now he crossed at Detroit, not around here.

9. I had a friend who bought an untitled car, he removed fenders and doors and hood a trunk and brought them in in a trailer. His brother followed with the shell in another trailer a day of so later. It was a straight up deal , just didnt have access to the title deal so they brought it in in parts. I have imported cars the other direction. I found it depended on who you got at the border. I took a bit of teasing from the customs official about how much better USA is the my Canada but I just sucked it up and endured it. When he grew tired he said Ok, you can go. Sign here."" It wasn't a piece for restoration either but a complete restored 55 New Yorker Hemi. What did he say to me?
    He said, "That is obviously an American car anyway since there is no way they would have anything that fancy in Canada."
    I figure living in such a small country like the USA they need to act a bit like that , sort of like small man syndrome, so i said nothing but inside I was shouting ________________, well I wont say what i thought acutally. Anyway the trick is obey all the rules, answer only what you are asked and do not respond to taunts or insults.

10. fiftyfiveford

fiftyfiveford

Yep its pretty straight forward, only other thing I can add is make sure the VIN tag is on the car and you know where to find it, US customs will want to makes sure the paper work matches the car. Also call the customs office before you set out and confirm they received the paperwork and everything is on order.

11. oscart

oscart
    from Almonte

Found a Falcon in the States without a title. Can I bring it over and what do I need from the seller? Is this even possible?

12. RacerRick

RacerRick

Make sure you get a title or transferable registration with the car if its from a title state!

I have had nothing but trouble trying to get a title for a 55 Chevy I bought in NY. Luckily someone down there is getting me a title for the car now since there is no way I can!

NYS DMV sucks.

13. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

I have done this many times, the info. you have on previous replies covers the bases and it is not as hard as it sounds. :mad: MOST IMPORTANT DO NOT, DO NOT FUDGE THE PURCHASE PRICE.:mad: If they suspect any games they will take you in the back room with the GOOD COP, BAD COP treatment, including calling the seller to verify the price, even if he is in on it. The seller will have a change of heart when it is Canada Customs calling. GOOD LUCK

14. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

Most customs crossings are not that nice.. You may need to aquire a title search.. that usually takes 7 week prior to the vehicle crossing the port of entry.. check with customs.. where you are not bringing the vehicle up from.. just in case you have other ideas..

15. Scott Liverance

Scott Liverance

Im looking at buying a 68 Fastback Mustang but he has no title , its in Georgia apparently some states dont have titles .
    I have brought back cars and a rv from the USA and a race car with no title .
    Will this be an issue ?
    Also I have a backup plan of a 69 Mach 1 it has a title but its not in the sellers name , issues

16. kmrumedy

kmrumedy

First post and a number of issues.

1. The car mentioned above is off topic for this forum and this thread is 10 years old.

2. Canada will not plate a car for road driving that does not have a title. The race car passed because you can not drive it on the street. If you plan on driving the Fastback on the street you will need a titled car.