Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage More On The H.A.M.B. Drags

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. NoSurf

NoSurf

I had the pleasure of cruising south down Rangeline Saturday evening at dusk back to the hotel with the windows down. I looked in the rearview and what do I see but two headlights so low and so far apart that a second glance was needed. Sure enough, it's Brad and co-pilot slinking the big black merc alongside me, the last of a glorious day's light and brightly lit neon reflecting and sliding down the full length of my favorite mercury.

epic.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
  3. This year we brought all 4 kids, our youngest Ned is 2 and this was his first year. I was worried when the Henrys Nitro cars came out he would freak from the noise but when they lit up he was startled then started laughing like a maniac! He loved every second!

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

One of these years I hope to make it!

5. BLAKE

BLAKE

"If you know any of the above fellas, slap them on the back and buy them a beer. They deserve it."

Indeed.

6. You know Jay, I would rank a trip down Rangeline under the lights after a night of drag racing is about as magical as pulling onto the salt at Lands End at Sunrise. 180 from each other but must do hot rod moments.

7. NoSurf

NoSurf

I totally agree.

8. In 2008 the drive back from the track was an awesome feeling... still had my drag gears in the quikchange, open headers and following the kontinentals (Steve was riding in Reggie's coupe and Merle was with Von Franko) to a BBQ joint with krupanut.

Got stopped for speeding... I told officer that I was unaware of my speed since I changed the rear gears for the track the Police officer was very Cool and gave me a warning.

Got back to the Hotel and relived the days events with all the other Parking Lot HAMBr's

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
  9. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

It's the most fun hot rod and racing event of the year.

10. Midget25

Midget25

Some day I am gonna get to go to this, hopefully next year. You guys make it sound so fun.

11. 2935ford

2935ford

Can these guys now and forevermore be offically called "Yahoo's"....:D:):p;)

12. What a great "happenin'!!" I made the last minute decision to roll down from the "Gateway City" since I skipped "B'ville" this year. Made the trip without the better half and stepped back fifty years in time. Ran across a guy from the old "hood" who was a die-hard "Hot Rodder from my old high school!! He was doing the "Gow" when it wasn't cool and he's still doing it. It's about the lifestyle!! Thanks for all that you all do to keep the dream alive.

13. cayager

cayager

hey ryan, any hamb drags apparel for sale?

14. Damned fun deal! Can't say any more than that.
    Later,
    Dick

15. Even though my car was out of commission this year, I went to the Holiday Inn to look at cars and listen to the Pushrods. Then went to the strip on late Saturday afternoon. Although I'm not a "real hot rodder" I enjoyed watching the action....as well as some behind the scenes stuff
    in the pit area. I did note that Denise's Pontiac wagon makes a pretty
    good utility vehicle.:D

16. jimmy1931

jimmy1931

Can't put it any better than Model A John!

17. Blakmerk

Blakmerk
    from St.Joe MO

Wow. Just wow.
    P.S. Jay, I'm fixing the front bumper as per instruction sir. Got a mocked up DeSoto on it tonight, might stay , might not.

Brad

18. Willy_P

Willy_P

I'm with Model A John on the most fun event of the year, and I will be back.
    Friday evening a FED drove through the Holiday Inn parking lot under its own power, and later the Little Honker fired up under the entrance awning of the hotel, and as the song goes, "I felt the earth move under my feet"...and this was just Friday night at the hotel parking lot!

19. flamingokid

flamingokid

We're blessed to have this event so close to home.

20. Dr. Frankensickle

Dr. Frankensickle
    from Kansas

At mokan did they ever pave the pits and quit charging extra for pit passes after they advertised free pit pass with every ticket like back in 1987?

21. 64T-bolt

64T-bolt
    from Kansas

I'll piggy-back since you brought up the track.

pits are somewhat hard-surfaced.. as far as pit pass charges; i dont know, but i know this.. I'm probably more of a drag racer than a car show lawn chair guy. I race US36, HPT, KCIR (RIP), Wichita, and Tulsa. MOKAN has the friendliest staff, treats the shit out of the track, and is ALWAYS efficiently run and trouble free, more so in all these areas, than the others i've mentioned. It may not be the fastest, nicest, or newest track around but it's damn sure well maintained and the owners give a shit (HPT could learn something from them). It is a Gem of a rural track and reminds me alot of Famosa..

22. Dr. Frankensickle

Dr. Frankensickle
    from Kansas

Sounds good ,must be different owners since I was last there in 87.Where is hpt? topeka?

23. squirrel

squirrel

yup