Register now to get rid of these ads!

'56 International, the Ugly Push Truck build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gotzy, Apr 23, 2010.

1. nwaringa

nwaringa

Left some links in case anybody runs into it again... These old guys are pretty obscure as compared to the Chevys and Fords. What engine do you plan on powering this guy with Steve?

2. Gotzy

Gotzy

I've been given a free 350 that just needs shells n rings and a rebuilt TH350 from another mate for 100 notes so being a budget push truck it'll do....

3. nwaringa

nwaringa

Some of my pictures here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nwaringa/sets/72157622344974931/ may or may not interest you (toward the end is when we start working on the engine). Particularly this one:

[​IMG]

As you can see... the straight steering needs to go if you go with a 350 and it gets tight around headers. I have seen 1 guy offset the engine to leave the steering but it looks a little funky. Sounds like you have a pretty sweet push truck on your hands.

4. Gotzy

Gotzy

Cheers for the link Nick, I'm thinking I'll have to sit down with a beer tonight and have a good look at those. Looks like a nice truck!

I reckon I'm about 3 Saturdays away from lowering the engine and trans in for size but it will interesting to see how the Jag steering lines up.

Hopefully it will turn out cool, it will certainly turn out cheaper than buying a finished truck and I think it will be the only rodded International in the UK as well.

5. Gotzy

Gotzy

Only got a few hours on it on Saturday as had to head up to Wembly Stadium for a Green Day gig, awesome gig but a looong day.

Anyway, everyone else was at a car show so I just finished stripping the interior and dash out and it's all in pretty good nick in there which is cool.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also started another thread on paint colours if any one wants to add their views

Check it out here - http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=485289&showall=1

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  6. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

Cab looks very sound Steve.Is that green the original colour?That'd suit it.Pretty sure that colour is on the chart on your other thread?

7. 94hoghead

94hoghead

what a cool old truck!

8. Gotzy

Gotzy

Cheers Hoghead

Cab's pretty good Mark, one of the bottom corners will disappear once it makes it to the blasters and there's some thick filler in the roof just above the rear window where a big dent was filled as it's double skinned and can't be beaten out.

That green is much brighter in real life and bloody horrible, looks like it was Door Co. green from the chart Nick posted, won't be going there.

The colour slide BobJ posted has thrown up a lot of options....

9. RatPin

RatPin

Your fire wall kick panel is in remarkable shape. I've yet to see one in person without pinholes or repair work, and I've seen a lot of them.

10. Gotzy

Gotzy

Yeah it is Ratpin, the cab in general is pretty good, the bed isn't quite so good...

Not a massive amount done this weekend. Dropped the fuel tank so I could remove the bed and slide the cab back to get access for the trans cross member removal. Was a total arse dealing with the rivets but it's now out, also removed the original spring hangers and started welding up some of the excess holes as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Beau

Beau

Right hand drive even! Wow!

Here's my '56 farm rod

[​IMG]

Keep up the good work.

12. Gotzy

Gotzy

Hey Shagrat, yeah your definitely right there. Could you do me a favour and measure the width and height of your grille bars and the grille opening please? A couple of chrome bars might look good...

13. Gotzy

Gotzy

Another less than productive weekend but we did have lots of visitors yesterday and plenty of cool chatting!

Did get some basic sway bar mounting brackets, was a rubbish windy day for welding outside, nothing some stone chip won't hide though lol

[​IMG]

Mark got the Pilot in thw barn for a quick rework in altitude.

Out with the old

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There's a 4" drop axle and reverse eye spring going in. Steering arms etc have to be modified cause Pilot stuff is just that little bit different to off the shelf stuff

[​IMG]

Also a reverse eye spring for the rear, new exhaust to be made, brakes to be overhalled and only 3 weeks til the Supernats

14. Gotzy

Gotzy

Well the truck is on hold whilst we get Mark's Pilot ready for the SuperNats on the 24th and then the slingshot ready for the Hotrod Drags 17th September so it will just be parts chasing until then.

So the lowering of the Pilot continues, read end is all buttoned up now and the front end is in.

[​IMG]

Still waiting on a cross steering tie rod end to arrive from the States (thanks for the help steves32!) as well as the tie rod links from a local guy. And the rims from the sand blasters.

Speaking of which, we've cut the centres out of the original wheels and added them to some 6" hoops for the large tyres going on. Our friendly machinist knocked up some stands which were mounted to some kitchen top. Mount the centre and then beat the hoop over it, take it off, mount and spin to check to square ness. Tack and repeat and the finish weld.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If everything comes together it will have a new rattle can spray job and be back on the ground...

15. Gotzy

Gotzy

Been a bit quiet on the truck recently trying to ge Mark's stuff sorted, going to shows and waiting to see if the Mrs is being made redundant....

We've been busy playing though, Mark sold the pickup to another mate and then bought a T roadster

[​IMG]

And the pilot's finally ready to come out of the barn

[​IMG]

Before

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

16. Cymro

Cymro

Any more updates?

17. Gotzy

Gotzy

Unfortunately not much has been happening, its slot in doors didn't happen and now winter has arrived, looks petty in the snow though...

[​IMG]

18. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

Good to know it's not just this end of the country getting the crappy weather this year!:D
    Merry Christmas,Steve.Have a good 'un!

19. Cymro

Cymro

A very familiar scene this winter, just hope the weather improves soon.

20. Gotzy

Gotzy

Yeah and my motivation, Aussie's don't do well in the UK winter, brrrrrrrrrrr!!! ;-)

21. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

The snow melt off yet?

22. Gotzy

Gotzy

The snow has melted but all that's happened is that it's been moved to my house and put in the garage whilst I've been dealing with finding a new job.

Good news is that I've just started my 3 months notice period and have a good new job lined up and will be starting that 30th August.

Bad news is that it's a grown up job that is going to take up a lot of time in the first 12 months so I won't have time to deal with toys. It's a conscience desicion so I can invest the time needed to change industry and I'll be much happier in the end.

Bad news 2 is that my wife is facing redundancy at the moment which could result in us having to move so having a truck in pieces isn't very helpful right now.

Earlier in the week I gave myself a deadline of this Sunday to decide whether to sell it or not so unfortunately that's where I am. Whilst it's annoying all my not be lost as I've got a 50 Chevy pickup at a mates in LA that was going to be sold but that may get sent over here instead once things settle down., we'll see.

23. russd

russd

hope you can keep it and finish but we know how life gets in the way sometimes... good luck. great looking truck.

24. hurnleft

hurnleft

Hi Gotzy, looking forward to picking up the truck when you and Mike have sorted a good date. I've lots of ideas and a a picture in my head for how I want it to look, but will keep them to myself until it's actually home.
    Cheers, Bob.

25. Gotzy

Gotzy

Hey Bob,

It's now back together and ready for collection but in the mean time here's a couple of pics for you

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. hurnleft

hurnleft

A mate has an injected 4.2 Jaguar engine and autobox which is coming my way to go in it.

Bob.

27. hurnleft

hurnleft

Running gear mostly done, Jag engine and box, Jag front, Chevy rear with discs.
    Panels blasted and welding under way.
    Thanks to Mike at Mustard City Speed for doing the work
    Sorry, can't get pictures from my new computer to work on here

Bob.

28. "Cool truck" Looking for 50s hub caps,do you have any that you would sell ?

29. pool

pool

Don't know if you are interested but someone was re-poping ih caps and selling them through oldihc.org website.

30. Anti-Ricer

Anti-Ricer