Register now to get rid of these ads!

SEMA: SPEED Equipment Manufacturers Association

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

This will be my second trip. Looks like I will make this trip alone so hopefully I'll stumble into some HAMBers to hang with. I just ordered a spanking new red HAMB cap to wear so if you see me say hi!
    Sema is quite a show, everything and everybody in one place. Almost too mucy to take in. Gonna spend some time in Hotrod Alley for sure.
    Sure glad they put all the Donk wheels in one place by themselves. Wont have to wast time and valuable steps walking by them while looking at the cool stuff.

3. 5_guy

5_guy
    from Upland, CA

My Buddy family Business was the 3rd company to sign up at SEMA when it was at Dodgers Stadium back when it started. They still have a booth at SEMA to this day after almost 50 years. Been there many times quite an amazing show for sure.

4. squirrel

squirrel

Now it's the Specialty Equipment Market Association and they take the marketing part of it pretty seriously, once you sign up to go you will get so much junk mail and phone solicitations for so many years it's not funny. So make sure to give them a bogus phone number, at least.

I haven't gone for about 8 years

5. I've been once. I have never been so tired and sore from walking in my life. I will be back. It really is something everybody should do at least once in their lifetime.

6. Special Ed

Special Ed

Those Donk wheels at SEMA, baffle me. The amount of manufacturers, along with all the different varieties each manufacturer makes, seems like every car on the planet would have a set! Who buys all those wheels?!? :eek:

7. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

The very first speed equipment trade show was at the Disneyland Hotel in 1962 that was put on by Noel Carpenter, editor of SPEED & CUSTOM EQUIPMENT NEWS. Manufactures set up in the rooms around the pool and there were plenty of adult beverages available! Noel went head to head with SEMA when he put another show on in Anaheim in '63. Everybody went to Dodger Stadium and Noel got out of show business. The party for the vendors was held at Pete's house in Beverly Hills. The Dodger Stadium show was poorly lit, cold and windy. But, it was the beginning of a giant exposition that is now one of the largest trade shows in Las Vegas.

8. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

It's a great show to see....All the new stuff is on display, The floor is filled with great customs and some stunning cars are seen for the first time. I'll be there again this year for the third time. AND it's VEGAS!!!

9. Your tax dollars!!!

10. I'm ready for the annual pilgrimage, always something neat to see and friends to hook up with you only see that once a year.

For those that have the time flexibility the local SoCal Speedshop does an open house the weekend before with many local cars on display, and the following weekend Art Goldstrom and family put on a gathering at his neat little museum of interesting, mostly hot roddy stuff. So, plenty of car guy stuff goin' on.

11. grander

grander

When is SEMA and what does it take to get in?

12. Engine-Ear

Engine-Ear
    Alliance Vendor

We were members of SEMA and a sub-org called the Automotive Restoration Market Organization (ARMO) but let our membership lapse. In fact we were going to have a booth there ($$$!!) in '08 but in the 11th hour, show planners relocated us to an unacceptable location so we cancelled our booth reservation. Several of us went anyway as "non-exhibiting manufacturers". The ARMO and HRIA (Hot Rod Industry Alliance) are probably the best sub-organizations under the SEMA umbrella.

Main thing that sticks out in my mind from the show: I couldn't believe all the camera-wielding chinese spies (for lack of a better description) marauding around the show.

In my opinion, the SEMA show is worth it for every "car person" to go to at least once. My advice: wear comfortable shoes and if you plan to see the whole show, allow at least two full days, if not three.

Gander: http://www.semashow.com/

13. I'll be there this year. Lotta walkin'.

14. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

ill be headin there this year----my first

15. Dynoroom

Dynoroom

New parts, tools, and just about anything automotive is at SEMA, bit of a car show too.

I go just about every year, I'll be there this one too.

A side note: the camshaft in the first picture of this thread is still hanging on the wall when you walk in the front door at Isky's.

Attached Files:

16. jimmitchell70

jimmitchell70
    from CT

Anyone can buy a ticket at the door and walk in?

17. snelson57

snelson57

I will be there...need to cover the AAPEX show which is held in conjunction. I will try to spend most of a day at SEMA, however.

18. Jogyver

Jogyver

No Not just anyone. You must be in the automotive business such as restoration , custom builder, manufacturer, etc. You must have proof when you register. Now if you know some one in the business they might be able to get you a pass.

I'll be there with my buddies pro street 56 Caddy ( the non traditional car that pissed a few off here on HAMB) . Look for it at the Autometer booth. You can't miss it ... it's friggen BIG and bright.:D

19. Mickm

Mickm

I'll be there again. I work for an aftermarket suspension company and we have gone to showing every-other year. This is our off year but...
    We are doing a project with Ford and Mattel that will be on display in Ford's booth.
    Mattel will be giving away several thousand "Hot Wheels" minitures of our build platform.
    If you're there come by and pick one up. I'll be in the booth talking about the build and would like to meet any Hamber's who are there.

Cheers!
    Mickm

20. This will be my 36th year. Most of those working for an exhibitor, but some as a retail operation Buyer and others as a Racer shoring up contracts for the following year.
    Stop by the PerTronix/Patriot. Doug's Headers/JBA Exhaust booth and say HI.

21. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

Yup. Ill be there. Live in henderson, So its an easy trip. 5th year in a row now!

22. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

Brian55lvr.
    Nice, you'll enjoy it for sure! Bring nice comfy walking shoes and a backpack. Theres alotta goodies to be had. (Bring cash too!) Your sure to find a good show special on something you gotta have, and never knew existed!!!

23. thebronc4019

thebronc4019
    from New Jersey

First time going this year. My wife asked me if there would be enough there to keep me interested for 4 days, I said ABSOLUTELY!

24. autobilly

autobilly

I got this book a few months ago and would recomend it to anyone who posted in this thread.
    [​IMG]
    Book Description as copied from Amazon:
    Hot rodding has always been about taking something that Detroit built and making it leaner and faster. At the epicenter of the movement was a cast of driven men who designed and manufactured the parts that made it all possible. This book takes an appreciative look back at the early hot rodders who worked out of their garages, basements, and backyards, and the "speed equipment" they developed. In this mammoth volume, Paul Smith examines the stories behind two dozen speed equipment manufacturers and the go-fast goodies they designed, developed, and sold. Drawing upon hundreds of hours of interviews conducted with these founding fathers of hot rodding, Smith details the work of industry icons such as Iskenderian, Edelbrock, Evans, Hilborn, Navarro, Offenhauser, Sharp, Weiand, Ansen, and Kong. Illustrated with more than 200 period photos and filled with firsthand accounts of the birth of hot rodding—and the automotive aftermarket industry—this book is a truly fitting celebration of the names that became synonymous with speed.

25. NotStockPhoto

NotStockPhoto

I will be there again this year with the Corvan....but with a complete new look and air suspension, and I am driving it 2300 miles there.......Hope to be outside to much flake to be stuck inside lol

26. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

This is the best book on the industry I've ever read. Based on some of the stuff I read, I'd love to sit down with Paul Smith and get some behind the scene gossip!

27. littlechris

littlechris
    from MILWAUKEE

I'm going this year for the first time; I don't know what to expect from Vegas; I just anticipate an adventure or two..

28. Racewriter

Racewriter

I'll be there. If you spot a guy wearing a shirt that says BuyRaceParts.com, that's gonna be me.

29. flamingokid

flamingokid

I try to get to SEMA about every 3rd year,that way it seems like the first time.