Register now to get rid of these ads!

HAMB drags parasite digger?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kevin Lee, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Word has it a couple of guys in the KC area are screwing something like this together to run at the HAMB drags... Details are sketchy but I think they're going to run a flat four.

I don't see anything expensive...I'd venture a guess that if you got together with a friend or two you'd have 90% of everything you'd need. Look at the center steering - just an F1 style box kicked out to the side. It would be cool to see some sort of grudge match come out of this?

Anyone have a guess regarding what safety gear would be involved in running something like this today?

2. raven

raven

Hmmm...
    Now I have an idea for that left-over T frame I have...
    You're a bad influence...
    r

3. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

That's the Crosley dragster, right?

How about a bedrails and bucket dragster like that parasitic on your street car--tow it to the strip, remove engine from hot rod and stick it into dragster, try not to break anything all day, swap back and go home--using a 1952 Bonneville A-frame type engine hoist, of course...
    Better times through less weight, and a huge Chinese fire drill of engine swapping to entertain all hands...

4. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Oh wow...ummm...that would be pretty cool. The thought has actually crossed my mind a few times. Suppose I would need quite a crew to actually pull it off though.

5. JRV

JRV
    from So Cal

Safety would depend on speed of the digger....most tracks are NHRA ruled or IHRA, but both about the same across the board. This is a perfect example of a Antique Nationals type of car. Here in Cali they'll be running at Fontana and I know for a fact that you see something like this going down the strip....

6. What is that phrase? "We dont give a fuck how they do it in Claifornia" .........................Yeah, I think thats it.

7. Roothawg

Roothawg

Depends on how fast you're gonna go.

8. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Yeah...I'm thinking of those pictures.from 1954 of blown Chryslers from streamliners being rebuilt in Wendover motel parking lots in the middle of the night for the next day's run...that kind of scene was also part and parcel of early dragging, as people tried to correct a lifetime of mistakes in time for the next eliminator bracket...
    Just an insame extreme sport, like alligator wrestling or beating your head against a skateboard ramp...but for gearheads. Reality delusions.
    Even NASCAR did it...can I mention NASCAR here???...I remember a picture in HRM of a tiny pit crew standing in a puddle of oil desperately swapping a 390/401 from a '61 Starliner into the dead racecar '61, just yanking the three twos, putting on the four barrel, and getting ready to turn it loose against Fireball and Petty right off the street. They probably didn't even have a ride home if they broke their street motor...

9. raven

raven

"We dont give a fuck how they do it in Claifornia"

Man, that's just harsh.
    Do you ever lighten up?
    r

10. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Well I have no idea how fast I would go. Stockish flathead (should have dual carb and good ignition by then) in-and-out box made from a '39 Ford case, and a banjo of unknown origin and ratio - numbers were polished off before chroming.

Bare rails, fuel tank, water tank, a cage, and a seat.

Thing is I posted this hoping someone ELSE would see it and want to build something similar. I'm all talk on this deal. Though the idea of spending the morning and afternoon swapping a motor to make a few passes in the middle of the day sounds fun and would probably entertain more than a few people.

11. jangleguy

jangleguy

Unless this thing has several hula hoops around it, there's probably no chance of it getting through NHRA tech. However, even though MoKan is an NHRA track, I think they might take into account some "special consideration" to the HAMB drags being a private event. I'd check with Ryan or the MoKan crew before continuing with the project. It's worth a try...This is such a "pure" race car, it'd be a shame if it were just yard art, but that's just how things are today...My two cents.....

12. Besides roll bar rules,there is also a minimum wheelbase rule.
    Ask Rocky's brother. :cool:

Grimlock wrote:

Isn't all about power to weight ratio,and fun per dollar ratio ? :D
    Someone serious could do it right without going broke.

Rebuilding or swapping engines at the track,sounds like WORK.
    Even if you are prepared.
    Been there,done that.NEXT !

13. Hot Rod To Hell

Hot Rod To Hell
    from Flint MI

Man! Even the Top Fulers are running THAT quick! What ahve they got for a motor?!?:p

14. JRV

JRV
    from So Cal

It's ok if you want to be an asshole, you're good at it, but at least don't be an ignorant asshole...it's spelled CALIFORNIA....

15. JRV

JRV
    from So Cal

at the Antique Nationals they'd let it run (a NHRA track), but it would be more or less exhibition runs.....

16. lucky_1974

lucky_1974

He may be funnin with ya...:D :eek: :D

17. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

That thing is cool Grim!

I tried talking Root into building a similar car but he was too chicken, no money, no shop, blah, blah, blah.

Oh wait a minute, it was HIM trying to talk Me into it.

Either way, not so sure that thing would pass the stringent tech inspections at the HAMB drags.:rolleyes:

RASHY

18. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

As in any system of law, interpretation is all. Once you realize that the driver IS the roll cage, the safety and legality of the device becomes perfectly clear.

19. Just making sure Sam is doing his job in the public schools out there:D

20. jangleguy

jangleguy

21. QQMOON

QQMOON

Grimlock Evolution man Evolution we have Evolved

22. Roothawg

Roothawg

So what's your excuse now, Biotch?

23. I think you guys have a great idea... I have a picture of a flathead powered digger... built on a (gasp!) T frame that used to run at the Antique Drags up here in Fremont... I'll scan and post a pic later... but ANYONE with basic mechanical skills could slap one together for the HAMB Drags and have fun...
    Sam.

24. Flexicoker

Flexicoker

Today I saw one of those little gas powered golf-carts/pickup truck things that they use to haul trash around campus with, and its rearend looked like a mini 9-inch. Don't know how much power they would handle, but it might work for that.

Just thowing around ideas...

25. Roothawg

Roothawg

They do have 9 inchers under em but I would guess the gear ratio would be in the 6's. Considering they only run about 20 mph.

26. Flexicoker

Flexicoker

nah, it couldn't be a real 9-er, it was pretty dinky, proportionatly smaller and not just shorter. It looked they hit one with a shrinking ray and stuck it under there. It was probably only about 4 feet long. This is the kind that'll fit about 3 big trash bags in the bed, piled really high. I see them buzzing down the street sounding like they want to explode so I'm sure your right on with the ratio.

27. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I took inventory from memory on my commute home today. I think what I'm lacking is a water tank, a fuel tank, some machine work to turn that roached out '39 box into an in-out box, tires, seatbelt.....I'm sure there's more. I'll actually pull some parts out and have a look tonight. I'm afraid some key pieces left the shop when I sold stuff to Rocky. Lesson learned, If I can help it I'll never sell an early Ford part again.

28. av8

av8

I keep waiting for someone to repop "The Bug," adding a rollbar, harness, and limb restraints 'just in case.' This scale model is accurate and could servce as a construction guide.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BTW, I have a vintage flathead clutch-type IN-OUT I'll loan you for the HAMB drags to save you some time. It's a sprint-car piece that will work great for a light digger when used as a slipper.

I'll try to remember to get it out of the shop tomorrow and shoot some pics. When you see how simple it is you may choose to just make your own -- easy Saturday project.

Mike

29. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Well, I don't know if I have the resources to repop "The Bug". I think I would get too caught up in trying to make it exact. But the more I think about the spares I have I realize I'm coming very close to putting something together that is very similar.

The Bug? No...The Parasite. Close enough.

And get a few pictures of that in-out if you get a chance...I may take you up on that offer...or at least look it over to see what it's about. When you say I might just decide to make my own are you talking about just using a mostly empty trans. case with a plate over the top?

30. Frankly Grim, I like the idea. It occcured to me in the past as well. sounds like a fun way to play. What our new friend from Caulifornia doesnt realize is how cool and laid back Mokan is. I went for the easy cheap shot, those guys make it soooo easy that way:D Kinda like their sisters:eek:

Good luck on the dreaming. If you have time to get er done, more power to ya.