Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical The Early Bird

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Yep, I still like it...

[​IMG]

2. weez

weez

That's a great one for sure! These things are pretty small cars, and don't need a million things going on to be interesting.

Reminds me of talking to Harry Bradley about a custom that had a lot of modifications, he said "He's got about nine cars there" I think about that quote often...

3. Such a cool car! I like the grainy almost painting looking big picture on top. (kind of like Weesner's artwork). The drivetrain is killer! The updated version isn't too bad....as Ryan said some of those things can be changed...

4. beatnik

beatnik

a couple more of it's current state

Attached Files:

5. catdad49

catdad49

I have 'image 1' saved in my pics. The 28-29 coupes have always been a big favorite of mine. Some day, when the stars are in the correct alignment, I'll have one! Excellent choice of topic to start the week. Thanks,Ryan

6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

weird things have been done to the body lines at the rear of the top in the old photos.

the yellow car has all the stock lines. same car?

7. guitarmook

guitarmook
    from Austin, TX

Ryan - it struck me watching this unfold today, that you've created a very special place here. You find an old magazine spread that shows a car in proportions and with features that speak to you. Less than 2 hours later, we know who owns the car, and what it looks like today.

That's remarkable, and a wonderful testament to the community you've built here. Well done.

Cool car, too.

8. AHotRod

AHotRod

9. I agree. Unless they changed the body or redid the rear beltlines I dont think it is the WHOLE original car?

10. You be the judge! I deffinitly like the old version better if they are the same car. I can see what you are saying.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

My first full built hot rod was a flathead powered '29. I started building it in 1959, age 15 and finished it in 1960 when I got my license. Drove it through high school and the first two years of college. Early A's will always hold a special place for me and this one is a premier example.

Frank

12. Mike White

Mike White

That Coupe don't need nothin'

13. GARY?

GARY?

The beltline switch would have taken quite a bit of work to undo. I like the more stock version a little better.
    Looks like the newer version has a Jag. rear end also.
    Cool car.

14. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I have a extra Y block and was wanting to build a fenderless A coupe but looking at it just changed my mind,does not look like the firewall was recessed too much so not much leg room has been lost so it looks like I will be on the look for a 28/9 coupe or possibly a sedan.

15. The original look of the car is that sixties look, feeling, I am shooting for on my '31 sedan project. I know independent front end frame, don't flame me to hard.

16. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

so it's the same car with a new body -frame and suspension.

17. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

that's a weird modification to make, the removal of that body line. and once it's gone, who would go through the trouble of bringing it back? it sounds like there is an interesting story here somewhere...

18. Like grandpas hammer. Sure its had Three handles and Two heads but it's still grandpas hammer!

19. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

yeah. it's the old car, alright. been through 2 frames and a body, but it's still the same car.

20. :pHa Ha!

21. creative rides

creative rides

the body on the car was never swapped ... the car was origanally a leather back when larry built it, when jeff (my uncle ) re built the car in the 70s he changed the top half of the car to what it is now .... the fenders, cowl, doors, and lower body are all the origanal from larry even the chrome on the inside window trim is from the 60s

22. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

woah. a blast from the past with some answers. cool!

23. Roothawg

Roothawg

I have that issue and I have stared at those pics for hours, especially when I was trying to decide the direction of my coupe. I kinda like the upolstered stuff. It can only be done on the right car, with all of the other details matching.

24. creative rides

creative rides

I can answer anything you guys need or want to know about the coupe .... i just wish i would have found out about H.A.M.B. sooner so i could help you guys out with answers sooner ..... that car was a big part of my childhood and i went to alot of rod runs in it as kid and as a teen and finally as an adult i got to take it to a couple ... and a little more history on the car , i dont know how many of you saw it when it was in the late 80s to early 90s style but it was awfull looking and in the late 90s i was driving the car to high school still in the purple pearl pink paint and billit parts so one day i came home with the car and started tearing it down , WELL when jeff got home i thought he was going to kill me when he saw his car, he was really mad and didnt talk to me the rest of that day untill he saw i was serious about putting back to the way it was in 61, the reason for the chevy engine was it was all ready in the frame and the same with the chrome jag in the rear the reason for the IFS , well it just sounded good at the time, as for the yellow paint, the car spent most of its hotrod life in yellow and that is one of jeffs favorite colors, the pics do no justice to the color cause there is a whole lot of gold pearl on that car, i will admit i am a little upset that it didnt go back to mint green or have a Y block put back in because jeff hade a Y block he was saving for years for that car and the mint green paint sitting on the shelf, some day the car will get redone again and i hope the next time i will be the owner and i promise i will do it back to the way it was in 61

25. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I was soooo glad to see the pink go away all those years ago. The independant suspension chassis? just a sign of the times it was "restored" in...