Register now to get rid of these ads!

12 Volt Alternator That lookes like a Generator

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ROCKET303, Feb 7, 2005.

1. ROCKET303

ROCKET303

Hello Crew, It's been a year since I have posted. But I have a Question.Who makes a volt Alternator that looks like a Generator. I'd like to change my set-up on "A". Thanks in advance.

2. Slide

Slide

I have heard that Powermaster is supposed to be having one come out real soon. If you are a machinist, there is a tech post from a while back where a HAMBer (can't remember who) disguised a small alternator... from a Mitsubishi maybe... as a generator. Do a search. I think the thread was started a long time ago, but there were some posts on it in the last few months.

3. I got my new Streetrodder and there is an article in there
    about a guy converting generator housings to alternators.

4. swissmike

swissmike

I posted an article on the conversion a while back under the following title:

"TECH - Alternator in Generator disguise"

I noticed that there was another company profiled in this months ROD & Custom, that makes a similar conversion. The magazine has the company name and address in it. Sorry I don't have the mag.

Mike

5. I was at the Nick Alexander open house Saturday and there was an old fella there who has them for the flathead Fords. His Name is Ed Whitney Phone# 714-527-1432 Polished Aluminum or black. Did not ask the price, sorry…

6. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

7. ROCKET303

ROCKET303

Thank guys for all your help...........See ya in Paso

8. the-rodster

the-rodster

The Powermaster part number is 82011, JEG's price is $350 black, or $400 polished.

Nice, but ouch!

9. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

The new Superrod has a write up on the Powermaster setup.

10. I called Ed last week. He gets 400.00 for his setup.

11. CLSSY56

CLSSY56

Isn't it just easier and cheaper to run the generator. My power steering generator cost $100 to rebuild.

12. EricE here ont he HAMB works for POWERMASTER. The Ford version is out now, soon to be a GM version. Several HAMBers donated old gennies so they could design these things. ;) It is nice to see a large company doing a unique project like this. I also cant wait until Wilson welding produces new Buick drums!

Its all just toys guys, all just toys.

13. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Powermaster needs to do a coming out HAMB discount... I want one but its hard to swallow that price....

14. It is easier and cheaper to run a generator. Thats exactly what I am going to continue to do. For less than $100.00 I can carry a spare with me on the longer trips...

15. Man, it's a good thing I didn't ask how much that deal was. I was amongst some early Ford glititerati and big time, bux up collectors and might embarassed myself by fainting.

16. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

I know these have been long awaited by many in affordable form, but I kind of look at them like those Hemi engine covers that go on a 350 chevy. Nothing wrong with a real generator, ran 'em for years.

17. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Never wired up a car with a generator and since I have no wiring yet, can someone give me some instructions on what is need and how to wire a generator up. (never wired any alt or generator except fora single wire Alt and I had instructions ) i have a good generator but not sure how to wire and what is needed (regulators ??? etc)

18. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

19. EricE

EricE
    from Tennessee

We are starting to ship these now. and are working on a few other designs as well. The black units are going for around $350 and the polished are $400, cheaper at some of the distributors. These are all new pieces, there is no core needed and they have an output of 75A at peak and 60A at idle.

Attached Files:

20. PowerBastard

PowerBastard
    from USA

Ask EricE if the generators PowerMaster is currently shipping are the quality, machined from billet, products that you see at SEMA or if they are the cheap cast aluminum from China which they have slowly been replacing all their products with... Made in America, hah!

21. t-town-track-t

t-town-track-t
    from Tulsa

ok, I do not want to get flamed on here, but I have a solution to your problem. for around $50 you can buy a VW alternator, that looks like a generator, it has no clue what is spinning it. its externally regulated and so on. The only kicker to it is that it has a "step" in the case where it reduces its diameter about 1/3 of the way back on it. simply put a hollow sleeve, and a strap around it, and its all one diameter.

I do not want this to turn into a VW or toyota bashing thread. But for guys like me with limited cash, its a cheap way to throw on an alternator that looks more like a generator.

All you really would have to do is take the delco remy tag off your old generator, and rivet it onto the VW case, you would really have someone scratching their head then

Jungle Jalopy likes this.
  22. KIRK

KIRK

I saw them today in the Christmas catalog form Speedway. The book is at work so I can't give you a price.

23. Can I get one in ball milled billet with flames?
    Oh and I need it by tomorrow so I can cruise the goodguys show.....