Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Mystery '37

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Rikster

Rikster

I have first seen this photo on the AHRF site as part of the Tom Davis Collection. But as you can see below it does not provide you with any info on the car or where it was photographed.

[​IMG]

Somebody once told me he had seen this car (possibly same photo showing the complete car in one of the Tex Smith books - possibly "the History of Hot Rodding part I". But I only have issue II so I have no way to check this. Perhaps somebody else with the first issue can check for this car and see if there is more info about it.... I really would love to see more as well.

3. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

I've seen it in a book, can't think which one off the top of my head...
    my guess would be Al Drake or Montgomery's....or the history book Rik mentions...

4. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I admit it sure is an odd duck. Wonder if it was the result of piecemeal modifications with no forethought about the overall result. The work appears to be l above entry level but the design is really lacking.

Frank

5. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Never seen a car wear a toupee before!

6. koolkemp

koolkemp

It reminds me of a car in Al Drakes book that I have ...I think he parted it out or something along those lines , I will try and find the book when I get home tonight.

7. Steve Hedke

Steve Hedke

That look would work if the trunk lid carried the same line as the top right down to the bumper, like a sedanette.

8. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

well... who'da thunk it... messed up chops are traditional.

9. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

I think the roof line is kinda swoopy. I wonder what the car looked like in the rear portion that we can't see and how well the roof line blended into the back end of the car.

10. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I've second or third the Al Drake connection. He did a story about that or a very similar car in one of his columns in Rod Action in the late eighties or early nineties. My day today is kinda messed up, so I don't know that I will have time to dig today, but I will this evening. Can't be too many with that roof line. You gotta remember too that until the mid seventies or so, the '37 and '38 Ford offerings were not held in high esteem. For the most part, they were just looked at fodder for stock car jalopy racing. My point being, back in the forties when this was done, it would have been no big deal, and maybe even done as a joke!

11. I to recall seening a picture of this car and definetly recall its odd top shape. I have wondered if its odd styling was due to the fact the car is a rebirth of a car destroyed by a fallen tree or a roll-over, a common of-the-day accident. Isn't it funny what a little time can do for the looks of something.... good or bad.

12. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Well I checked through both of Tom medley's books, Hot Rod History 1 and 2, and it's not in either. As I said earlier, I know I have it a Rod Action mag somewhere, so I'll check when I can.

13. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

The roof line doesn't look bad to me ... not from that photo. The way it meets the trunk could make or break it.

14. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Drake book, the 1950's rodder one. I think the same one...roof carried all the way back, kinda almost worked visually and could probably have been made into an interesting design with development by someone more talented than whoever did it.

15. No I dont think that, at least it is not the car in Albert Drake's book "Street was fun in 51". The car in that book, it was named "the Beast", is a 35 coupe with a 37 front. That car is sectioned but the roof is less chopped and it have driprails.

16. Rikster

Rikster

Did anybody search for the book this car was in, and perhaps found it?
    I would love to see the complete car.

17. adam401

adam401

The posted photo sure does hint towards an awkward side profile but that side window is interesting. I love the shape and cant help but wonder what little of the roof you can see would look like on a sectioned car with the fenders raised.

18. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Kinda looks like it was influenced by the '40 Aussie 'slant'. (then chopped...)