Register now to get rid of these ads!

'56 International, the Ugly Push Truck build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gotzy, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Gotzy

Gotzy

With a couple of just for fun race cars under way at the Meon Valley Hot Rods barn and me not having a ride on the road, it was decided that a cheap push truck was needed.

The proprietor of the Meon Valley Hot Rods barn Mark Bull (leaning on the truck in the first pic) knew of a '56 International S100 pickup vegging out in a friends yard so a deal was done and it dragged up the barn for a quick and cheap make over.

Once it arrived at the barn we got the engine running so it could be sold as a runner and it was generally checked over and found to be pretty solid with only a few areas of concern on the body, chassis's mint.

But damn it's high!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So day 1 was to start pulling it down, had the font off by the end of the day (we talk alot and drink loads of tea...)

[​IMG]

Day 2, (the following Saturday) Saw the engine and box out, front suspension off and rear axle out. The rear spring hanger was reversed and the chassis mocked up closer to ride height and a tyre thrown in the arch.

Looking better already

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Plenty of parts chasing yet to happen but we've got a cheap 10 Bolt and th350 so far. A jag front end has been lined up, as has some chevy & MK2 jag steelies

Looking forward to day 3 tomorrow...

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  2. EDGEFIND

EDGEFIND

Very nice. Personally, I like 'em high just to clear my driveway but that body style looks sharp high and low. I'm looking forward to seeing it finished.

3. ..that's one dandy of a truck, looks to be in very good cond....I'll be watching it get even better now....neat shop you got too and nice deuce.

4. The Hitch Hiker

The Hitch Hiker

Nice to have some Hot Rods in the UK! Do you import from the US/Canada or source parts locally?

5. Gotzy

Gotzy

Thanks people

No shortage of rods in the UK and businesses supporting the hobby. Lots of importing going on though naturally. My truck came from South Africa.

6. dynamic88

dynamic88
    from Chicago

Cool -- nice to see another IH Pickup getting some time invested into it!

Have a '53 IH Pickup project. I think you've gotten more accomplished in two days, though, than I have in two years. ;-)

7. 41hemi

41hemi

Love the looks of the truck so far. This is just my opinion.......truck could stand a little out of the roof. Just a few inches would put it in my "proper" proportion. Please keep us updated.

8. pool

pool

My dad and I have owned ours for over 35 years. I've chased a lot of binder parts and seen a lot of trucks and yours is one of the cleaner ones out there.

9. Fingers

Fingers

Good score!
    Now, I really should do something to my International....

10. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

thats a way cool lil pick up id dig it ,

11. fitzee

fitzee

Make a cool ride from that truck. keep us posted

12. Gotzy

Gotzy

Day 3, well we got the rear end in place today

Mark made up so new pads

[​IMG]

Which we used to flip a 10 bolt to on top of the springs, we also dropped the 3 lower springs from the helper pack. The u-bolts were left a little long in case we needed to lower it a bit more, not going to be needed...

[​IMG]

We also reversed the rear spring hangers, you can see the frame needs c-notching which we'll do when the bed is taken off next week.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And bingo, nice and low at the back. We need less back space and maybe another inch wider rims, rim on it is 15x7 with a 235/75 tyre

[​IMG]

Next weekend will see the bed removed, frame c-notched and the jag front end installed. Also started cutting out the gearbox crossmember so we can move in back a ways, man those rivets are tough!!!!!

Last edited: May 4, 2010
  13. Gotzy

Gotzy

Yeah that was my immediate reaction too but it won't be happening, can't risk fucking up the screen as there won't be any spares over here. It's a shame they don't have flat glass as we'd definitely give it a mild chop then... Will just have to settle for it being loooooow lol

14. Terraizer

Terraizer

Any up dates?

15. Gotzy

Gotzy

Nothing too exciting to report, the Jag clip wasn't pulled in time for us to collect it for fitting this weekend and the weather was against us so just did some crappy jobs between the rain.

The pickup bed had been sprayed with some thick industrial rubber coating years ago, it was evil shit to get off and just had to scrape it off by hand and took pretty much all day. It was one of those jobs where no one was going to help either, bastards! It was totally understandable though as a new ride had just arrived, Mark's coupe in the photos above has just gone to Germany and he's just bought a '49 Ford Pilot to play with so there was lots of checking it over and a bit of fettling here and there. Even I joined in when I needed a sanity break from the rubber scraping....

Also picked up a column shift column out of a '64 Impala this week, also got some steelies but these turned out to be a bum deal so still looking for rims.

Anyway, here's a couple of pics of the Pilot. It's pretty solid with old paint which buffed up to a good 20 footer, one chassis rail has had some bad repairs and will need sorting out. Flathead was stumbling a bit and a quick carb swap sorted that out quickly enough. Plans are for some 750 & 600 white walls, reversing the eyes and removing a spring or two. Mark's initial thoughts were to adapt a lazy 305 to the original box but after driving it we might see a mildly hopped up French flathead and some rear gears instead which will be cool!

[​IMG]

Cool bumpers eh!

[​IMG]

16. jreeder41

jreeder41

Sweet truck and pilot!

17. Bully

Bully

Takes one to know one......

And dont forget,i have a dropped axle for the Pilot and it will be getting 2 doored with the fronts being stretched 8 or 9".

Oh,and the new shop truck arrived yesterday,nice little surprise for you!

Last edited: May 7, 2010
  18. Gotzy

Gotzy

Well day 5 was a bit of a disappointment, the guy with the jag clip has gone to Magaluf for a stag weekend so we can't get it to next week and I was too busy at work to get the steel organised for the C notch. Weather was crap again so just pulled the running boards and rear fenders between showers. Next week should hopefully see some real actively!

As Mark (Bully) said there was another new ride at the barn when I arrived. A hot rodder with cash burning a hole in his pocket can only do one thing, buy more toys!!

So as well as the Pilot he's bought a '59 Ford pickup that's a well cool beater. Still has the original driveline with just flipped axles and err, weathered paint.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With the Pilot at Mark's home whilst he collects parts, the crew was working on one of the other shop projects, the old '60s Slingshot.

Here's what we started with

[​IMG]

And mocked up with it's baby 2.5l Daimler hemi before it was torn down with Bully sitting in the hot seat making engine noises...

[​IMG]

The old front suspension was cut off and the chassis was sent out to be blasted, then given a quick coat of primer after a lot of excess brackets were cut off.

[​IMG]

Mid plate for

[​IMG]

The baby hemi

[​IMG]

New rear end mounting plates go in

[​IMG]

Engine, box and axle loaded

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A few adjustments, safety first at all times LOL

[​IMG]

With the chassis nice a stiff with the driveline loaded, it was time to cut off the cage to extend it a few inches for some more room.

[​IMG]

Hmmm, hemi!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More adventures rom the barn next week...

19. Freckles

Freckles

Ummm, about that 'Binder...the rivets can be knocked out fairly easily if you cut the outer head off, drill them about halfway through and then use a punch that's a tight fit in the hole you just drilled. The rivet will stretch and pop out really easily. 3 or 4 whacks with a BFH, and you can move on to other stuff for the day. There's only about 14 Bajillion in the average Binder frame...shouldn't be longer than a couple hours.

20. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

That IH has some wicked lines....love what you've done so far....

HOWEVER....you shoulda opened up your own build thread on the digger....thats bad ass as well...

21. RatPin

RatPin

I wouldn't quite say easy. I cross cut them with an angle grinder then shear the heads off in quadrants flush to the frame, then get yourself a chisel and pry at the frame to get the rivet clear.

The hardest ones are the ones holding on the rear leaf spring perches. They are about 3/4" long. Those took probably 1 hour per set of four using the cut method as well as a drill, a wood chisel and an air chisel and BFH.

I've cut a few on my '54...
    [​IMG]

22. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

Cool old truck,Steve.I'd love something like that as my 'daily'.Unfortunately,'she who must be obeyed' is having none of it!
    Mark.

Last edited: May 14, 2010
  23. Great truck build. Look forward to seeing its progress.

FYI, there were a few Ford Pilot rods over here back in the 1970s, but I haven't seen 'em for years. I also dig the Daimler-powered FED. Cool idea.

24. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

Steve, Your truck is lookin' SPOT-On!

Nick.

25. starion88esir

starion88esir

You need bag clearance.

26. Terraizer

Terraizer

27. Gotzy

Gotzy

Yeah got the jag front cross member located last weekend but forgot my phone could take any pics but a snapped a few today. Still lots of boxing to do as you can see

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was raining all day today and with the truck outside we did some work on Mark's slingshot in the barn where it was nice and dry

Got the front spring cross member lined up and tacked in and trimed the mid plate

[​IMG]

Made some front engine mounts for the original Daimler ones to bolt to, nothing special, just functional

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mark had turned down some new tube to slide into the original frame to extend the cockpit area so we fitted those and got it welded up. Still a few bits of tube to fit

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Loads on room now, that's me in there. Also going to run 2 94s this year using an adapter, should look well cool on the little Daimler

[​IMG]

A new set of Supremes have arrived as well

[​IMG]

Good fun day

[​IMG]

28. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

Good progress with the truck,Steve.Was the Jag front end as straightforward to install as it looks?
    Love the slingshot too.
    Cheers,
    Mark.