Register now to get rid of these ads!

Jag IFS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rpol7966, Jul 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jonno, if you are running SBC in your '52 you can trim the stock xj6 springs. Depending on the ride hieght you want take between 1/2 and 1 coil off each spring.
    My Jailbar (pictured above) runs sbc and has 1 coil off each side.
    My F100 ('53) runs big block ford and runs stock jag springs (thanks lifstyles!) as the heavier engine meant trimmed ones were too short.

p.s. brother in law has sbc in '52 chev with jag ifs . We've done the same with his.

2. Big Jon

Big Jon

4t6ford

thanks for the info, i am running sbc , did cutting the spring stiffen the ride or is all ok.
    how much did the chev drop by cutting 1 coil off ?

Jonno

3. In theory cutting a coil off does change the spring rate (imagine the spring "unwound" to a straight bar - the shorter the bar the harder it is to bend ).

The '52 with the sbc in it (I've done 2 of em) will sit hard UP on the snubbers on the top arm with the stock spring in it ( even with all the front clip assembled) . With the coil off at ride height the bottom arms are still not quite level (arms go up as they head in to crossmember) and no the ride is not harsh .
    There are a couple different front swaybars too, I have a light one in the jailbar and the heavier style in the f100.

4. Big Jon

Big Jon

I have rolled the front end under the chev and lowered the weight down on to it, and correct it didn't budge of the bumps i then got my big fat arse up on the chassis rail as well and it still didn't move much. did you do anything special when you cut the coil ?

what did you use as a steering colum ?

5. just use a 1mm cut off wheel for the trimming.
    We used a nissan cefiro column in the brother in laws car.
    I've also used the original column , just cut the box off and trim it to lenght required , bearing in the bottom and machine the Jag spline onto the inner of the column. If you are stting the jag subframe up on the stock jag mounts you need to use the first section of jag column as it has a 'slip' in it to take up the movement under braking/cornering of the rubber mounts.

If you're setting it up solid mounted you shouldn't need the slip.
    I did a '52 for a guy here and he wanted it solid mounted so that he could have the car as low as possible. i'll find a pic...

6. Big Jon

Big Jon

thanks mate this has been really helpful

jonno

7. Jonno I'm struggling to find the pics I wanted to post for you. I'm looking at the pic of the rear of your '52 and I think you'll find that doing the front like I've suggested will work out pretty good . Don't be afraid to PM if you need more info as you get into it.

8. Big Jon

Big Jon

when i dragged the old girl home, she was sitting high in the rear, it had a mixture of camaro leafs and the originals together ,had them dearched and added a lowering block and it ended up dropping the rear 8 inches . by putting the jag ifs in it should drop the front 4 inches and level it all out. the only problem is i can't get the old girl out my drive i need to build a ramp to get her across the gutter.so it must be the right height.

cheers

9. Bash'n'Weld

Bash'n'Weld

Cool photos, I'm in Hawkes Bay and when I finally get round to it, I'll be using both IFS and IRS out of a series 1 XJ6 in the '52 Chevy.
    I'm using the original Splash Fed engine, will I need to trim any springs or just run as is?

10. your splash fed donk is prob similar weight to sbc, I'd prob mount it all up first and you can always drop the springs out for a haircut later .

you'll find that if you leave the rear end in its cage it'll go almost straight under.

11. I am using the original jag front springs in my ride.
    I have a Caddy 500 in it and that engine is little different to the weight of an original 4.2 Jag engine.. Still undecided on sway bay size though..

12. Bash'n'Weld

Bash'n'Weld

Awesome, cheers for the info!

13. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

I was very deeply into Jags for quite a few years. Finally got out of them; they are beautiful and drive like nothing else but it was getting to be more work than fun.

14. hey guys my name is johnny I'm new to the forum. I have a 49 F-1 and i recently installed a 87 series 3 J in my truck. I cant begin to tell you how bitchen it is or how easy the application is. I'm going as low as i can and if you want it can be bagged very simply I think (bags are for groceries) but to each is their own.
    the install is a few measurement for location and it welds to the frame rails like a cross member its that simple and pars are readily available and its got a decent rack for nicer steering.

15. Bash'n'Weld

Bash'n'Weld

Johnyeyeball, maybe you can follow this up with a build thread including pictures?

BTW, it might be a good idea to go to the introduction page and say hello, some people on here may get upset if you don't follow the rules.

Welcome to the HAMB.

16. Here's the xj6 with coil-overs on my A. The stock springs were way too stiff. By the way I liked the Jag steel wheels, they look a bit like the old artillery wheels.

[​IMG]

17. toddc

toddc

Series 1 2 and 3 are all different - but you would need to be a Jag nut like me to pick it.

It's not worth worrying about unless your'e doing a concourse resto. But then you wouldn't be on the HAMB, would you?

18. Yep. But if you use a whole one as is, no issues.

19. Depends whether you want solid discs or ventilated ones. 4 pot discs or 3 pot ones.. These are really the only differences apart from sway bar diameter, which varies a bit.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  20. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Wow, really nice - that thing is going to handle like a sports car.

21. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

It's kind of like saying that all Model T's are alike. They're not, but depending on your frame of reference, they are. Same with Jag bits: the differences are minute, they all use the same maintenance parts, and as X38 said, on a rod you are probably starting with a complete donor unit to begin with.

I don't think that anyone building a rod will care about the differences, and if you start with a unit with the smaller brakes or sway bar and want to go bigger, everything bolts right up.

fords-n-fatboys likes this.
  22. Mad welshman

Mad welshman
    from Wales

Hi there, I am new here I live in the uk and run a 51 ford F2 I have just fitted a ranger rear axle to drop the ratio from 4.8 to 3.4, ( oh so relaxed now !) I am about to put an Jag front clip on it next did you use the rubber mounts or weld it strait on to the rails ?, Many thanks in advance for any advice you can offer, Jon.

23. Hey wanted to say that.
    now I can't even post on this thread.
    Oh I guess I just did. :eek:

The Z man is who to talk to he made it happen and has the miles under his belt to prove it.

24. reefer

reefer

I know two people who have F100`s, and both swapped in Jag front ends...looks like a factory option....the wishbones are a lot better looking than the usual pressed steel types you normally see...they are both well pleased with the results and we were happy to relieve them of the old junk brakes and steering boxes...lol.

25. anyone narrow a jag front end, need to lose 3" of width to use it?

26. It's been done, but you'll need to find the right width rack to go with it because apparently you can't narrow a Jag one.

27. JackdaRabbit

JackdaRabbit
    from WNC

Not done yet but I have plans to narrow one 4" to fit under my ...ehem...`54 Jag Sedan. I'm looking to solve the rack issue by using a Cavalier rack with fabbed centerlink extension.

Along these lines:

Attached Files:

28. Can anyone tell me what Model Jag this front suspension is out of ?
    [​IMG] Jag front.2.jpg

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  29. 62rebel

62rebel

That looks like Xj40. Not a good piece, too difficult to mount. The xj6 ifs is almost like instant coffee to install in almost anything. I have my 74 jag stuff built into a 2x4inch rectangular tube chassis that I can put under almost any body, just need to adjust for wheelbase.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.