Register now to get rid of these ads!

The New Paso

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. Stu

Stu
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's my thrash--at the end of January I decided to get my project on the road--I had already planned on coming to Austin but was going to take a buddies car-I saw Evils and the dirty's post and figured what the hell
    as of last night,installed the shifter and started mounted the headlights--still waiting on the machine shop to finish my open drive conversion

Attached Files:

3. Kev Nemo

Kev Nemo

No disrespect to Paso (or the chief), but I think the Round Up is definately it's own thing, like everything else born in Texas. I'm just a local/participant and I'm in no way related with the organization of the show other than a few friends that are Kontinentals. I'm also a proud native born Texan and I'm proud of most things that comes out our great state. Thanks for the support!

my .02...

4. chevnut

chevnut
    from Corona, Ca

I hope to make it to the Round-Up one day. Paso is definately a show not to miss any year but to indicate the Round-Up being the "New Paso" gives it a feel that this show is behind another show's shadow. I personally hope that there are more shows that would get bigger/better than Paso and have that certain unique feeling Paso has given us all these years. Don't get me wrong as I think Paso is great and referred to as the Grand Daddy of them all. It would be cool to have that in all States, not just Cali.
    I also do not mean any disrespect to the cheif and or any shows. I just want more car shows that can deliver in that caliber and I believe the Round-Up already has its own claim to fame. It can only get better.

5. Primer Gray

Primer Gray

Agree that it's its own thing...but it still makes me nostalgic for the days of thrashing to go to Ft. Fisher. 7am with my Dad, scrubbing a 55 chevy wiper motor with a toothbrush dipped into naptha...gotta leave at 8...gotta put the wiper motor in because it's going to rain somewhere around Meridian. How the hell did we not notice the wiper motor looked like crap? I guess it's because we just got the front clip back on last night at 11pm...wiper motor didn't look too bad on the bench, but the light wasn't so good. good times were those.

But, there will be a Round Up thrash in my future...just need to get back to TX in about a year and a half...and find a house and a tech writing gig in Austin.

I like that there is something to look forward to now that the Waco shows no longer happen.
    I love this time of year...and I miss the smell of acrylic enamel curing...heh.

6. ChuckleHead_Al

ChuckleHead_Al

The Roundup can easilly be looked at as the new Paso..
    A point on the map that east and west coast guys would not have much trouble traveling too. Paso just seems like a West Coast car show to me, but with the Roundup, now that's looking like an all coast car show.

7. Bigdaddy

Bigdaddy
    BANNED

I have not personally made the roundup, however, THE NEW PASO my rear!

8. Lowbrow52

Lowbrow52

I worked late into the night. I installed new tie rods, rear shocks and started to get seat belts in the rear for the heathens. I still have more to do, but she is road worthy and ready for Austin.

9. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I agree.... it is very much it's own show... I haven't been to Paso in four or five years... but man, is the round up a good time.

This post was more about the thrash than comparing the two shows...

10. HotRodFreak

HotRodFreak

We are talking about TWO DIFFERENT flavors as the cars on the posters indicate.

11. hemi

hemi

Paso was started as a lead sled show to revive the lost art of the chopped Merc. The hot rods came later. The Round Up is a fine show, but anything goes from day one.

I do understand the "pull," though, of thrashing to get a car done for a certain show... which is the real point of the blog and the reason most of us get out of bed in the morning.

12. The thrash. I that up here, Hot Rod-a-rama instigates a lot of thrashing....Hell, I'm thrashing on my Hudson now in hopes to take it to the show in August...

I had hoped to be at the Round-up this year, but it boiled down to spending the $$ on my car or spending the $$ on the show. The car takes priority.

Can't wait to see all the pics!

13. Rusty

Rusty

IF the Dirty's pull it off it will be a first for us. Two non running cars running and cruising at the Roundup in less than 3 months. I am just glad there is a month off before the next event to rest and recouperate and clean the much needed dirty shop

Rusty

14. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

It's super cool that guys and gals thrash on their projects to get them here next weekend. Ryan, I understand that that's what you meant by the "new Paso" reference.

Paso is the shit. The car show. We are very lucky that our show has become what it has. It's a freakin' great time with some cool folks and cool cars. But it is what it is, and Paso it is not. Paso was the inspiration to start our show, however.

I remember sitting around a park bench at a little show in Lagrange with several of the guys. We started talking about Paso and that maybe we should try to put on a little outdoor car show. We just wanted something closer to home for all the people that couldn't make it all the way out to Paso. And something that would have an Austin flavor, with bands and a cruise to the lake. El Jefe knew pretty early that he wanted music to be a big part of the show. Surprise, right?

From that 100*+ day on the park bench, to the first show on the football field, to now, has been a fun trip. El Jefe, Willy, and Beatnik have really taken the proverbial ball and ran with it to make it all happen. And we really appreciate all of ya'll coming down for the party.

Special thanks to the guys and gals that bust knuckles and budgets to get new cars to the show.It's the new, unseen, cars that keep the show exciting.

For those that are making their first thrash for a show, I'll just say that it's worth it. We barely made the show a couple of years ago with the '58. We shaved the door handles, painted it, and put interior in the week before the show. I finished installing the interior trim the Friday of registration. But it was all worth it and more when the misses got to drive it to the show and cruise Congress after. It's a great feeling of accomplishment that just isn't the same when you take your time on a car.

15. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Thrashin' to get your car done for a show????? Well, if that's what motivates you to get your car going.......more power to ya.......

I, for one, just THRASH to drive it............

16. This will be my first drive out to Austin and I am driving my coupe out with the rest of the AZ boys who been to everyone so far, so I will be the virgin at the show. Can't wait for the road trip and the coupe is ready togo. Let the party begin.

17. extremist

extremist

I put my 50 Ford back on the floor last night after hacking, grinding, swearing, jacking, cutting, dropping metal objects on my face while on my back on the creeper and running back and forth to the driveshaft shop and parts stores.
    I have a car with a new transmission and a huge hole in the floor. But the thrash smoke is starting to drift away and I think I'm a day away from being ready.

Viva La Roundup

18. Kev Nemo

Kev Nemo

Most of us thrash year round (especially those of us that use our cars as dailies
    :D). The show is an added incentive and an opportunity to hang out with each other with a common goal and enthusiam - the excitement hangs thick in the air throughout the month.
    I've never seen an "anything goes" attitude inside the show itself; it's about the quality an owner/builder can afford in time and dollars. From the home garage thrash to the high dollar kustom build, it's about love.

19. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

Geez Kev, that brought a little tear to my eye.

20. studhud

studhud

I would have to agree. I will make a comitement to come out next year though and check it out. I think paso is still a great car show so what if you cant clog up the parking lot at the shell station, hell even the 21st street burger joint is torn down, is that going to stop me from thrashing everyear to get a car there or stop having a great time NO! Paso is still bad ass even if other shows are bigger smaller whatever its all about the quality of time spent there, the cars and people I have become friends with over the years. Having gone to Paso for this long it is a sacred place to me! LTR

21. I just have to trick the county tax office into letting ne register the 56. Its in my parents name still and they are in IL.

22. ThunderBeast

ThunderBeast

The Thunderbolts are in the final stages of building this one.
    [​IMG]

23. chevnut

chevnut
    from Corona, Ca

I now see your point...:eek:, I have to do this at least once(hoping more) in a lifetime. Now.. who's got a cool project for me for next year. remember I'm poor:D

24. oletruck

oletruck
    from Hurst, TX

I'll be takin the same truck I took last year. It'll be a few years till I have the chance to thrash through another project. I am, however, tryin to change a few things before the show. I hope I an get them all done.
    I haven't been to Paso, but the Roundup is an excellent show. I've been to the Turkey Day Rod Run, in Daytona a few times, hardly traditional styled, and still think the Roundup beats it hands down!

25. SapienKustom

SapienKustom
    from Merced, CA

It's cool to see shows like the Round-up going strong. I've never been but hope to make it soon. We go to Paso every year since I was sitting in the back of my dad's 51' Merc. Nothing beats hangin out with some good people and some cool cars at shows like these.

26. Deadender60

Deadender60

I'll be going to the Round-Up for the first time, and I'm really looking forward to it... leaving to LA this Sunday, then going thru 66 and into Texas. I'm going to be riding shotgun with Rod Powell (who's taking some amazing artwork to sell from his trunk)

I'm taking a few 2xl shirts (the only size we have left) and some 8x10 prints to sell (help me pay for the trip.)

I'm hoping the show is as fun as it sounds and looks in photos. But, to me Paso will always be Paso... no other show compares, and we go to 1 or 2 shows almost every weekend.

-Juan

27. Spike!

Spike!

One day I'll get to leave the East Coast. I'm tired of the same thing every year out here. Other than a few select shows, I'm bored with it all here. I really need to get out to different places and see what else there is. The Round Up is a show I have to hit before I die for sure. Maybe some day..

Spike

28. Cruiser

Cruiser

:p Everyone is going to have their favorite show. Comparing Paso and the Round-up is like comparing apples and oranges. Apples taste good and so do oranges, some people like one better than the other, I like the taste of both. Paso is what it is and the Round-up is what is, its cool to have both of them out there to enjoy.

Cruiser 49:cool:

29. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

Well I didn't think I would be thrashing, but here it is 1 1/2 weeks left and I am thrashing.... We got this '57 buick and it needed a little something so now it is getting WWW tires, '56 caddy caps, shaved handles and trunk, green paint on the lower half and a redone dash. I am also installing some new electronic stuff we are developing at work.

30. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I think every large show has their "thrashers" that are getting their rides ready, or a new one built, in time for the event.

I'm sure there are folks in PA that are thrashing on rides for the Jalopy Showdown, and I know for a fact there are guys in the metro Detroit area that are thrashing on cars for BilletProof in June right now. Also, as late in the year as the HunnertCarPileUp is, there are always quite a few cars that were thrashed on to make it.

and right now, all across the country, folks are madly thrashing on cars to race at B'ville for Speed Week.

I'm sure back in the day guys thrashed to make a certain race at the drag strip and the races at the dry lakes.......still do.

Thrashing to make an event is nothing new....especially for men:D