Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Jack Nethercutt's 1952 Oldsmobile

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Ryan, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. frank spittle

frank spittle

I don't remember ever seeing it. Great looking Kustom.

3. 41hemi

41hemi

I agree it looks chopped more than 4 inches however the hardtops were a little lower in the roofline to begin with so maybe that fact helps to create the "chopped more" illusion.

4. HellRaiser

HellRaiser
    from Podunk, NE

My 52 sure doesn't look like that!!!!!

HellRaiser

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013

5. A.D.D.

A.D.D.
    from PacNW

There is a feature on it over at Kustomrama. "Jack bought the Oldsmobile in 1953. He was 16 years old at the time, and he drove his brand new Oldsmobile straight from the Oldsmobile dealer to Barris Kustoms".

A side note: Jack appears to be the son of J.B. Nethercutt. Anyone that knows of the "Nethercutt" collection probably knows who that is!

6. Groovybaby6

Groovybaby6
    from Denver

That's in one of the Barris books, George said Jack was 16 when he brought them the car for kustomizing. Where is that car now?

7. the-rodster

the-rodster

8. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

It is true. I bet he still has pictures of it.

http://www.nethercuttcollection.org/Founders.aspx

9. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

Wow, that back glass set is perfect.

10. Magnus

Magnus
    from Sweden

11. that thing is boss, hope they find it...

12. frank spittle

frank spittle

Thanks for the links. More great information on the Nethercutt family.

13. autobilly

autobilly

Beautiful classic Custom.
    Nethercutt collection... and here I was thinking that I'd collected some good old stuff over the years.

14. mgbtc

mgbtc

What a beautiful Olds! And anytime anyone has the time to visit the Nethercutt museum, it is well worth the day to see all of the ''fine working art" as they call it.

15. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

in 2006 TRJ sent out my favorite poster - The old parking lot custom car show scene that was colorized by Rik. Nethercutt's olds is in that photo (along with the Hirohata Merc and Jesse Lopez Ford) The heavy chop really stands out in the crowd.

16. May be 4" vertically. Great car.

17. Beautiful car. I like the fiesta caps better than wires.

18. craftscustoms

craftscustoms

Some people measure chops differently. One way is the amount of metal removed from the windshield posts, a linear measurement if you will. The other way is the amount that the top of the windshield is lowered. With the angle of the windshield, the amount of metal removed is greater than the amount of drop. My 51 mercury was chopped 3", but 3 7/8" was actually removed from the windshield posts. To get a 4" chop on that car I bet they took 5" out of the posts.

19. not all 52 OLDSMOBILES look the same customized thats for sure :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

• BB.jpg
      BB.jpg
      File size:
      79.8 KB
      Views:
  20. [​IMG]
    "The Parking Lot Scene" (Rodder's Journal Poster #10)

NOTE: The original B&W photograph was taken May 15, 1954 at the "Custom and Hot Rod Show" held at the
    Thrifty's Drug Store parking lot in Los Angeles, CA ... The B&W image was colorized by Rik Hoving for TRJ #33.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  21. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I remember seeing it in the '54 Motor Trend issue, and also saw it on the street one day in Brentwood, CA, while riding the school bus. I knew immediately whose car it was.

And yes, I also wrote that I saw the Dan Landon Chevy from the school bus. I was "into it" deeply enough at that point that I didn't miss much.

22. flamingokid

flamingokid

Absolutely beautiful!

23. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

" San Jose Rod and Wheelers member Lenny Macchiarella claims he saw the car advertised for sale in the Auto Trader in 2000. It was still located in El Cajon, and it had been painted white. Lenny tried to buy it, but it was already sold."

El Cajon is a suburb of San Diego. I've never seen or heard of the car around town, though I wonder if it is mothballed away in a San Diego area garage?

Nethercutt must have a healthy bounty on the car.
    Might have to do a clone build.

24. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Funny, my dad was big into the CCCA I was just thinking "Jack Nethercutt, man I think my dad knows that guy". Now I know why it sounded so familiar.

25. HotRodMetal

HotRodMetal
    from USA

He does have a bounty on that car without a doubt.

I remember him talking about it at lunch a few years ago. If someone does manage to find it, leave a message with his secretary at
    818-364-6464.

Happy Hunting!

26. cosmic12

cosmic12

Can you imagine, Have your coffee in the morning, opening a paper and seeing this add?

Attached Files:

27. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What a great looking custom that while chopped and with serious front end mods is still unmistakably Oldsmobile.

It's great to see the color shots that show that the car was not satin black as it appears to be in the black and white photos too.

28. this is the most beautiful thing ive ever seen! the only thing that makes these famous kustoms kooler is that they all went to the same shows, and really just were around each other a lot. this sure beats the hell out of the musclecar, restoration, and rice rocket-filled cruise ins nowadays.