Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ah, the stupid things we've done.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by borderboy1971, Oct 5, 2012.

1. How bout knocking out the post in the rear window of the 63 Corvette split windows to put in the 64 one piece rear glass :eek:

What dumb fucks we were-like nothings changed :rolleyes:

Oldmics

2. wallyringo

wallyringo

haha I like to think im older and wiser now.

3. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

Traded a nice 69 Z/28 for a tubbed 67 Camaro because I just had to have big tires.

What a dumb ass.

4. Hotrodhog

Hotrodhog

Had a '62 Belair 4 dr in high school and blew the powerslush on graduation night...got a rust free '59 Impala convert with a bad motor for $30. Now what I don't understand til this day is why I pulled the tranny on the Impala and put it in the '62 and scrapped the convert instead of pulling the 283 out of the '62 4 dr and put it in the '59 Convert???????:confused: Talk about stupid!!!!

5. gatz

gatz

The ones that are the "stupidest" for me are the cars I've passed up.

Out of Uncle Sam's clutches in '70 and in need of a vehicle, ran across a guy that was fiddling the carb on his black 57 Thunderbird...McCullough supercharge, etc. He said he'd had it with that POS and would sell it for $1700. Did I buy it?...nooooo

Went and looked at 46 Chrysler business Coupe in about 74 or 75...guy who's father had passed wanted $125 for it. Some other person had first dibs, tho'. When the guy asked me what I intended to do with it, I said "probly drop a 318 in it" BIG mistake. Did I get it? noooooo (Hint, don't ever tell someone what you intend to do with a car that's for sale...lie like a rug, buy the car, then decide what you're going to do with it)

Looked at a 56 Packard 2-dr hdtp in the 90's; guy wanted $550 for it. Nice car. Did I buy it? ....Noooooooo

Saw a really nice 57 Buick Special 2-dr hdtp for sale..drove a while to look at it. Really nice original with nailhead. $4800. Did I buy it?....noooo

I think I saw the same car for sale in another location a coupla months later for $15k

Well, enough misery for one post.

6. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

And we're all guys that supposedly love old cars.

Multiply all these stories by the number of people that NEVER cared about cars - which is millions - and now you know why its so hard to find so many old cars. It's a miracle there's ANY out there.

7. Gman0046

Gman0046

Back in the day and being high school kids, a friend had a 47 Olds convertible (don't remember if it was a flathead six or eight). It hardly ran but had a real decent body and he was going to junk it the next day. As a 47 Olds with a flathead was considered a POS in those days, we beat the piss out of it with lead pipes before it was picked up by the junky. The kid who owned it wasn't happy about it and I still remember him saying not to hurt it. How dumb could we have been?

8. 1928chevycoupe

1928chevycoupe

this didnt cost me much money, but still ultra stupid :confused:

first car in high school - 1969 Firebird......... put ORANGE shag carpet in the interior,......after smashing the grill, filled the empty space with square "quad" headlights I "borrowed" from a motor home......"pinstriped" the side of the car with common BLACK ELECTRICAL TAPE!......put the coil inside a 7-up can, beacuse it was COOL......

I could go on..... :(

9. Hotrodhog

Hotrodhog

oh, oh, talk about being stupid and passing on great buys back in the day????

in 1973 - rust free 1962 Olds Jetfire convert 215 turbo, white w red interior $250 :(

in 1975 - 289 Shelby Cobra (no not a mustang) - $5000 :(

in 1975 - frame off restore of 1963 Split window Corvette, frame done w DZ 302 and '65 disk brakes, body was perfect but needed paint - $950 :confused:

in 1979 at the MSRA Back to the 50's a Midnight blue 1967 427 tri power/ 4 sp Corvette fastback in beautiful shape for $4700 OBO :mad:

These were some I could not forget.....

10. 1pickup

1pickup

In the '80's, my bro acquired a '49 Plymouth 3 window cheap. I told him "You can't polish a turd" He got rid of it to break even. This was just before the "Dare to be different" thing happened. Who knew ugly cars could be cool?

When I was about 15, my uncle wanted to give me a '27 T roadster body. My old man wouldn't drag it from IL to WI. It went to the landfill.

Same uncle, year later: '66 Toronado w/ just a slight rust out over each front wheel well, wanted $150. Once again, old man wouldn't let me drive it home 'cause the exhaust was loud.

Maybe these are reasons why I have a hard time selling anything now...

11. revjimk

revjimk
    from Denver

I wanted to take Auto Shop in HS but the guidance counselor told me NO, I was "college material"...and I didn't go upside his head.
    Still regretting it....

12. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

I had alot of 50's/40's cars in high school. Mostly thrashed em a little and sold em in the paper. I mowed lawns all summer and got a 1928 Henderson 4 cyl inline bike.
    It didnt run and needed alot but I could finance a reeeeall nice rod with it now.
    My dad was really exited. Not happy, but exited. When the neighbor dropped it off the exitment started. I was informed, in NO uncertain terms, it was to be gone.
    I sold it for $700.00 and a six pack of pepsi. 1972/3 I was 17.

13. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

Passed on a 70 Superbird around 1988...440 Six Pack, 4 speed, Dana 60. Guy wanted $3500 and I had about $35. At least I knew it was a good deal so that wasn't so much stupid as poor.

14. Danny, that wasn't stupid. That was my investment strategy. I sold it for one cheap price and when I bought it back it was worth ten times what I sold it for! Now thats some smart investing.....:eek:

15. TRIK3R

TRIK3R

My 2nd car was a 71 Challenger, paid $150.00 for it cause the points were toast, had the signed title in hand, had my coach ride over with a friend to drive it back to the house as I was only 14 and no licence, I swapped and set the points, fired it up, cleared out the cobwebs, and off we went, trans had no reverse, a month goes by my older brother asks what I'm doing with it, my reply is fix it, , he names off all the problems and says if you get rid of it I'll give you the Pinto. So there went a cool car for a 74 Pinto with a rod knock, the guy I bought the Challenger called and asked to buy it back, Dad said sorry it just left on a wrecker, he was pissed.
    I did my first engine swap @ 14 in the Pinto mostly by my self and a big ficus tree.

16. blackrd

blackrd
    from Illinoize

Ill play. Threw out 4 (2 pair) 40 ford front fenders because I got tired of moving them around (solid, just needed tears welded up). Tossed out front and rear 48 desoto bumpers (real ones) because they needed replating and I wasnt going to use them anyhow. Such a dumbass

17. blackrd

blackrd
    from Illinoize

Damn, bout 80k or so today, thats excitment.

18. mixedupamx

mixedupamx

do you mean just today or in general?????:p

19. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

sold a Ram Air III 69 GTO Judge for $900.00 in 1981.

20. 327Eric

327Eric

I pulled a 57 chevy wagon out of a junkyard about 12 years ago, It was stripped but had a beautiful front clip, and ran it in a demo derby, just to piss off people. Did a 59 Pontiac the next year.

21. RH2795

RH2795

Had a 1939 Indian sport scout. Got it for free just had to finish putting it together. Let a friend borrow it one night...3 hours later I get a call saying that it's parked at the bottom of snake hill....in a tree. That was '87/88.

22. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

I got married ...... Twice....probably going to do it again. I just l:Dove the smell of a new wife. :D

23. Bluedot

Bluedot

Geez, you guys are all making me feel better about myself.
    First car, in 1966: '57 Chevy Bel Air 2 dr HT, 270HP 283. Blacked out grills were cool then, and I recall removing the gold anodized grill, wadding it up, and throwing it away.
    2nd car: '66 Vette Coupe, 390HP 427. Got hooked on street rods & hot rods in 1972, struggled to sell that Vette for (gulp) $3000. I'd give my left nut to have that car back. My wife loved it too - I think she'd let 'em have my right nut too to close the deal.
    This thread is terrific. Misery loves company!

24. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

I've smelled a few wives myself....

25. I'll play.........

I was a teenager and had a Sunbean Tiger as my daily. The starter went on it and I was tired of parking on hills to start it. I sold it for $50.
    It was just a used car then................

26. johnod

johnod

You had a lot of company on that one.

27. Al Napier

Al Napier
    from Central CT

In 1982 I bought a Cutlass 442 convertible from a co-worker for 50 bucks that had a wiring problem, stripped it of the sway bars, steering box, etc. to build a street stock with and junked the rest.

Then I sold the street stock parts cheap and bought a used late model pro stock roundy rounder instead because I liked the bigger tires, headers, etc. that the class allowed.

THEN after wrecking the pro stock my second time out on the track I traded my 66 Chevy II Super Sport for a clapped out 72 Blazer and 500 Bucks so I had money to fix the roundy rounder and race the following week.

Dumb Dumb DUMB......

Al in TN

28. Gumball

Gumball
    from Vista, CA

Picked up a 66 nova hard top, small block auto, drove it home from Pomona swap meet. Needed motor mounts, trans mound, and few little things, paid $250. My wife bitched and bitched about the car in the drive way so I sold it for the @250. I will not be pressured into selling anything ever again...never never never....

29. Stupid shit? the days not over yet,and I have a ways to go!:eek:!

30. Beat2Hell

Beat2Hell
    from So. Cal

Sold my '61 Falcon wagon, basket case as it was. Sold a super clean '71 AMC Matador Wagon, the highest trim model with a 304 in it. The worst part, I bought that AMC for only 1 dollar, 3 years ago! That kills me to this day. Kills me...