Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Stock-S/S-F/X 1959-1966

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Race Artist, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Jcourtney7830

Jcourtney7830
    from Ohio

My father was Al Courtney. I am looking for pics of this car if you have any and I can ask my uncle (his brother) ifhe has any information on this ca. Thanks so much

Jonathan Courtney
    [email protected]

2. Race Artist

Race Artist

The name doesn't ring a bell ... but how about some more information about the car(s), dates and where he ran.
    Joel

3. FAM4WILLYS

FAM4WILLYS

Hello

Photos from NORCAL STRIPS.
    Enjoy. Pardon the quality.
    Still. It's a bit of history.

TOM

4. FAM4WILLYS

FAM4WILLYS

Hello,

There was a large presence of Stockers at the California Grand Nationals at the Kingdon Strip. Here are some photos that I took that weekend. Mar. 15, 1964. As I scan them, I'll post them.Enjoy. Pardon the photo quality.

Take care.....TOM

5. storm king

storm king

Great pix, Tom, thanks for sharing!

6. Gizzy

Gizzy
    from N.W,Ohio

This red GTO is bad Fu*$ing Ass!!!

7. FAM4WILLYS

FAM4WILLYS

More Stockers. Enjoy.

Take care........TOM

Attached Files:

8. FAM4WILLYS

FAM4WILLYS

Hello again,

More Stockers from Kingdon Strip.

Attached Files:

9. Malibob

Malibob
    from Pittsburgh

10. FAM4WILLYS

FAM4WILLYS

Hello Everyone

More Pics from the sixties. Rondas F/x Car.

Take care..........TOM

Attached Files:

quick85 likes this.
  11. Race Artist

Race Artist

FAM4WILLYS ... thanks for sharing all the great S/S-F/X pictures. Good history! Joel

12. speedexx

speedexx
    from Georgia

Thanks for the great pics Tom!
    Looks like by late season Ronda's car had lost the "tow hooks".

13. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

pic from the hot rod reunion in bowling green

Attached Files:

14. FAM4WILLYS

FAM4WILLYS

Hello again,

More early Stockers from NORCAL strips.
    Enjoy

Take care............TOM

Attached Files:

quick85 likes this.
  15. Race Artist

Race Artist

Great pictures Fam4Willys! Thank you for sharing. Top notch, rare color pictures ... I think the first that I've seen of these cars in color. Would love to see anything that you have on the early S/S-F/X stuff. The Garlits S/SA cars were mostly driver by Jim Kalor, only on occasion by Big Daddy himself.
    Joel

16. FAM4WILLYS

FAM4WILLYS

Hello again,

More cars at NORCAL strips. History.

Take care........TOM

Attached Files:

17. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

18. Race Artist

Race Artist

Great pictures as always. Thanks for sharing.
    Joel

19. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

20. speedexx

speedexx
    from Georgia

Now that's the spirit! LOL.

21. Dave Lyall

Dave Lyall

I get frequent requests for information about my 1965 AFX Falcon. It had all-fibreglass exterior body panels, except the roof. People are always asking how could this have been an all-fibreglass car and not been a tube frame. The Falcon had a production steel underbody, cowl, roof, greenhouse, and standard A-Arm suspension in the front and leaf springs with a 9" Ford Axle in the rear. The following is an excerpt from my last reply to a H.A.M.B reader asking for information about the body of the Falcon.

My Falcon was built up from a body-in-white, as were many of the AFX cars and later Pro Stocks. The difference being the body-in-white I started with was originally a styling buck for Ford Motor Company. Styling bucks are used to build full-sized replicas of a future products, before the tools and dies are commissioned, so there are no metal stampings available. The process starts with the styling clay model, and fiberglass casts (splashes) are made from the full sized clay model, and from these casts molds are made, and then fiberglass exterior body panels are made from these molds.

The 1964-1965 Falcon had different exterior sheet metal from the original 1960 – 1963 Falcon, but the underbody, cowl, engine bay, floor pans and green house (structure around the windows and doors) were the same. The Falcon Futura fastback was released in 1963, which had the same hardtop roof design as the 1964 -1965 Falcon hardtop. The body I used to build my Falcon had started out as a '63 Sprint, and The Ford Design Center removed the hood, fenders, door skins, quarter panels, and trunk lid, the replacement fiberglass '64 - '65 style quarter panels and dashboard were bonded to the sheet metal inner body structure with epoxy resin, the same way as the Corvette and Viper bodies are constructed today. The new outer door skins were also bonded over the '63 steel inner door structure. The hood, front fenders, trunk lid and bumpers were cast with flanges to be "bolt on" parts. So the car was then a complete body, with outer skin of fiberglass, and was then fully built up with hand-made prototype parts to be a fully drivable styling vehicle for wind tunnel, engine cooling, and other testing, and for pictures for advertising.

After tool and dies were available to make steel parts, the car was no longer needed, was stripped to a bare body shell, and was destined to be scrapped. I had enough connections in Ford to save it from the crusher, and with a truck load of service parts from Bob Ford, (complete interior and exterior trim, wiring, front suspension), help from DST, Bill Mason, Paul Harvey, Charlie Gray and a couple of Bob Ford Technicians I was able to build the car to an NHRA-legal AFX car. The only extra structure I added to the car was frame connectors, a well-braced roll bar, and lift bars with a fabricated cross member. Unlike the DST Falcons though, I used the Bill Stroppe technique for modifying the spring towers and front suspension, as it was easier for me to do with only the basic tools in my garage. The Falcon has been extensively modified by subsequent owners, and although it is functional, it is no longer period-correct.

Following are several pictures of the car taken at it's shake down runs, later at a NASCAR Drag Race Event, and later at a nostalgia event with Brent Hyjak.

Attached Files:

22. 4tford

4tford

interesting info on how these cars came together. I remember hanging out at Bob Fords watching them work on the 63 427 cars and seeing them out at Detroit Dragway running the ramchargers and golden commando's, packer pontiac etc. Dave Lyall was driving then. The guy's at Bob Ford were very helpful to me while I was building my 352 FE with the right parts for my application even though I was a high school kid they took the time to answer my questions.

23. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

#2226;
    "
    Unlike the DST Falcons though, I used the Bill Stroppe technique for modifying the spring towers and front suspension, as it was easier for me to do with only the basic tools in my garage. "

Mr. Lyall, could you expand on this please. This car used a tube or beam axle vs stock type control arms w/coils ?
    Tom S. in Tn.

24. flatheadz-forever

flatheadz-forever
    from new jersey

anyone have pictures of 289 hipo mustangs that ran back then

25. Moneymaker

Moneymaker

26. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

27. LennyFreebern

LennyFreebern

The Robinson Lincoln-Mercury AFX 64 Comet is still around. It was recently restored by Randy Delisio who still owns it. As a further note, Vanderley died April 2011.
    Len Freebern

Attached Files:

28. thehazguy

thehazguy

Island Dragway 1966 Took a while to get film developed

Attached Files:

29. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

Whose Comet is this?