Register now to get rid of these ads!

Michigan chrome platers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jdubbya, Jan 18, 2005.

1. jdubbya

jdubbya

I am looking for a good chrome plating shop, in Michigan, that can handle doing large items, such as the back bumper from my '60 Buick (which is actually 3 pieces). The more I look at the car, the more the bumper sticks out as the only bad spot. The bumper is straight and solid, but the chrome is scratched up and hazy. I have been hearing alot of good and bad about Michigan area chrome platers, and would like to know what experience any of you have had with any of them. I would also like to get this done without spending an arm and a leg, and without waiting for an extended period of time. Any information would help me out in my decision. Thanks -Joe

BTW- if anyone knows of a nice '60 Buick rear bumper for sale, that has nice chrome, let me know, it would save me big.

2. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

When it comes to chrome shops you can pick two, good, fast or cheap, you can't have all three. [​IMG]

I've used a place on the eastside of Detroit for many years called B&L Plating. Family owned business for over 40 years. They do GREAT work. Tanks big enough to do bumpers. In fact they did an AWESOME job on my Chevy bumpers. The major portion of their business is mack truck bumpers I think. Anyway, they fit the walk in business in when they can. They never do anything quickly. Their chroming is guaranteed for life.

586-778-9300 Ask for Gino, the owner, or Victor, the son. Great guys, you can use my name if you want.

Rochie, the guy that stopped on the Sunday we were stuffing the calanders, just turned me on to a place in London, ONT for chroming. He took all Big Olds window trim pieces to the guy, 12 pieces in all. The estimates I had gotten in the past were so steep I couldn't leave them at a shop to get done. This guys going to do all 12 pieces for $150.00 CANADIAN dollars. That's like $26.59 US [​IMG] The only problem is he can't do bumpers, he doesn't have tanks big enough.

I've got two large pieces to still do on Big Olds, the front bumper and the grill. I'm checking around and getting estimates. I'll let you kow what I find out. If you find someone decent, fast and inexpensive, please let me know.

3. kritz

kritz
    from flint, mi

joe, i'll do it for ya...you buy the chrome spraypaint and we'll get it knocked out in no time.
    have you checked with microplaters on dort?? i thought that they did that kinda stuff there.

4. phat rat

phat rat

Denise, I like your math of $1.00 US buying $6.00 Canadian [​IMG]

5. oldtin

oldtin

Joe, Years ago I had all the front end for a deuce roadster plated at a place on Stewart Ave, just west of I-475 in Flint.
    They did the axle, spindles, tie-rod, drag link, and pitman arm for $150. They did a good job other than the recess in the beam, but they warned me before hand that area wouldn't plate well and would probably need to be painted. Don't know if they're still doing work for the public but it might be worth checking out. Its been 10-15 years!

From Fat50s list above:
    FLINT PLATING INC 1109 E STEWART AVE FLINT, MI 48505-3699 810-785-5371

Oldtin

6. phattpat

phattpat
    from Armada, MI

Good info guys - thanks...

7. jdubbya

jdubbya

Thanks for the info, and the site, should help me out alot. I will have to call some of them to find out prices, and turn around times. It is not a must to get the bumper plated, but it would look better. Thanks again -Joe

8. pattyBoy

pattyBoy
    from Michigan

Try PTI in Detroit (7/Mt. Elliott) 313.891.0531 They do great work, and also do chrome plating on plastic as well as steel and die cast. Pricing and quality beats B&L hands down.

9. lehr

lehr

Joe custom chrome in ohio, I know its not mich. but there the best, just ask Olay. Pat.

10. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

What about pot metal??

11. pattyBoy

pattyBoy
    from Michigan

Not sure. Call and ask. Altho I think they can do pot metal. The family that owns it is the Coffee's but I am not sure of their first names!!! I do know for fact that they did the front grille for George Bush's presidential limos, And also did some work for Jay Leno.............

12. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

I guess you want to stay local because of the size of the bumper? I'm getting ready to send some stuff to our own "polisher", but he's in Maine.