Register now to get rid of these ads!

Porsche 356 "HotRod"...?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by McKee, Mar 12, 2008.

1. bonesy

bonesy

356s are so cool. One for sure is on the "some day" list.

2. itsahemithing

itsahemithing

Does anybody know of a Zimmer 912 with Nascar Buick V6 .From the outside it looks like a stock 911 .But under the decklid is a Buick V6 with a turbo develops 600hp.I know the current owner ,He started it once when it came in,He was going to use it as a run around to get to work ,but its too wild.

3. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

That blue #80 is Badass! I wouldn't change a thing on that one.

4. this I think is the coolest,and one very cool movie

Attached Files:

5. moTthediesel

moTthediesel

You want it to be a hot rod? Well then it must have an engine swap --

[​IMG]

6. john walker

john walker

there's just something wrong about that.

7. Algon

Algon

Generally I agree but just like Cobra's many fast sports cars got the hot rod treatment and some drag time. If you check out the guys selling old movies at the shows and swaps, there is couple of 356 laying it down on at the Akron Airport return road drags. One in the 1957 section appears to be lifted in the rear and running slicks. You'll also see the Arfons Green Monster, the Jim Otie roadster and Garlits on white walls. It's 8mm put on DVD, just do yourself a favor and turn the sound off during the return road reels the music it is set to is horrible.

8. adam401

adam401

I love German cars. Is that silver Porsche a hot rod; no. Lots of work in it for sure but none of it seems to compliment the base vehicle to me. Looks cheap and I'm sure it wasn't.

9. Algon

Algon

I have to say the shape of rear of the roof is awesome. I'm not sold on the bluntness of the windshield but I appreciate the style of the main body. This is a very good example of less being more. A few of these additional features on several cars would add as much as all them take away from this one.

10. butch27

butch27

Unique: I remember your build on another site I'm on . That is one nice car!

11. v194

v194
    from The South

Are you finally going to get paint on that car and bring it to Amelia this year?

12. Karrera

Karrera

It doesn't look like I'll make it to this year's Amelia Island event - still too much to do on the car in the few weeks left before the event. The silver paint is starting to be applied and it should be painted by the end of the month but we still have the interior and some mechanical work to finish. Bill Warner has said to bring it next year as they may try to get a number of Jeffries cars together for Amelia 2011. Sorry for the delay but my bodyman has a bad habit of wanting everything perfect......I'll post some progress pics in the next week or two.

13. loudandfast13

loudandfast13

I dig the silver Porsche. Its not something that I would own but its very cool and well done. Someone else made the comment that it was a race car not a "Hot Rod". Lets not forget that "Hot Rodding" started with home built, street legal race cars.

On a side note...
    Am I the only person that noticed this? Look at picture 8 of the car that started this post. The left taillight is mounted slightly higher than the right. Lack of symmetry really bugs me. I'm not picking on the car or the builder. I just wanted to know if anyone else noticed it. :p

14. kookee

kookee

Quick Silver - Ewwww. Sorry, looks like a quality job, but like the 1980-today street rods, they removed the "soul" of the car to me. Anytime you over-smooth, remove all trim, or just over-modernize the car, it removes the charm of the original charm or style. Besides, it seems many times, to me, that the added complexity just made the simplicity of the design fail. Maybe I am just making sense to myself.

Love Porsche.

My dad bought a really nice Porsche 914 2.0 for $500 (1982 or so). It was my first real project with him. It was the car I would sit in as a kid and go "vroom vroom". Talked him into getting the wheels chromed and painted the car candy apple. Awkward now, but as a kid, WOW!. When I turned 15 I asked if I could buy it when I got my license. Mom said NO and ordered that the car had to go! She said I would wrap it around a tree. "she had a feeling" Dad sold the car 3 days later to a freind of a guy he worked with. 6 or so months later he found out that the guy HAD wrapped it around a tree and met a sad end. Lessons learned. Don't question Mom's feelings:eek:, and get a different color Porsche!:p

15. v194

v194
    from The South

You guys were picking out paint last March! :)
    I know I will have my car there in 2011;)

16. Karrera

Karrera

By the way - V194 how's your project coming ?

I think Bill wants your car too at the show too - now if we can get the Landmaster to come and I get my Jeffries Kyote buggy finished we'll need to round up a Monkeemobile and the Bond Moon Car along with Carroll's CSX2000 and Jeffries GT-40 roadster and we'd have a pretty good selection of stuff to amuse the crowd.

17. I've always liked the looks of this one.

[​IMG]

18. bigroy

bigroy

That's how it should have looked from the factory. Beautiful car

19. v194

v194
    from The South

That would be amazing but at least transporting the Landmaster across country would be nearly impossible.

My car is 99% finished and am now just staring to book appearances for 2010. First time she has been on tour for over 40 years!

20. very cool you really should do a up to date thread on that BB.........one of the cooler cars of the 60s...............

21. yeah I saw that but I think its a photo thing,notice everything on that side is off

Attached Files:

22. Karrera

Karrera

Latest pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The door jambs and inner surfaces of the doors and deck lids are painted. The exterior just needs a last block sanding and the silver will go on the car.
    The pearlescent silver is a spectacular choice that Dean Jeffries made and today was the first chance I had to see it.

23. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This one belongs to my friend, Randall. It is now silver.

Attached Files:

24. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I restored this '63B over a period of about 3 years. It was totalled in 2 seconds by the driver of a Jeep Wrangler, who claimed he was swatting at a bee. It broke my heart. At least I wasn't "totaled" with the car.

It was hit so hard that it chipped paint off both edges of both doors! No more "fun4rock".

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  25. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like this one. You can't tell it but it's been widened 2" a side in the rear and a complete 911 drivetrain added. Guy did a beautiful job on it.

Attached Files:

26. freebird101

freebird101

27. old thread i know........but how good are these little cars? what is someone to expect as far as performance and power? how much do they have to be hot rodded to have fun with?

28. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

You might want to check the price on E Bay for a real one, $25,000 for a big project up to $300,000.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  29. i picked up a clunker, just trying to decide what direction to go with it. IMG_1906.JPG

chryslerfan55, wraymen and BAD ROD like this.
  30. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington