Register now to get rid of these ads!

History >>>Proof is in the Pudding:Early Chevy V8 Hot Rods!!!!<<<

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JeffreyJames, Dec 24, 2009.

1. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I thought I would put together a thread that would gather all the Hot Rods that ran a Chevy V8 in the earlier days of Hot Rodding. There once was a time when a 265, 283 or 327 was king and if you ran one you were hot stuff. Today it seems like it's the red headed step child of engines. So I thought I would bring to light some past features in different publications from the 50's and 60's in one location so that is can serve as inspiration not only to those that are running a Small Block because of money restrictions but to those that seek the engine out because they know in it's roots it is as traditional as it is full of potential.

Looking at late 50's through the 60's magazines you will find there is no denying just how much impact these engines had on our hobby. It seems like every other feature had a cool looking Hot Rod backed up by a Chevy V8. Most of them running Corvette valve covers and with a wide array of intake setups. From an Edelbrock 2 x 3 setup to a Weiand 4 pot and even lots of 4 Barrel intakes in the mix too, they were making waves and leaving readers dreaming about putting a Chevy engine in their own Hot Rod.

I myself have been guilty of tipping my nose up at a Small block because they have become the belly buttons of engines for sure. But to me being different when creating a traditional Hot Rod is secondary to recreating and restoring the history by faithfully recreating and emulating the cars of the past. If it was good enough for them then then sure as hell should be cool today right? The more I learned the more I learned to love. In fact so much that I decided to run one in my '35 coupe and that's with having good Olds, Hemi and Cad engines sitting in a corner of the garage too!

This months Rodder's Journal has feature on Earl Evans Titled The Complete Hot Rodder. In that article that Jay G. Fitzhugh wrote, there is a paragraph that sets the tone for this thread.

"Gene Ohly was still in high school when he took a job as a machinist apprentice with Earl Evans in 1952. Evens production was in full swing and the flathead Ford was king with the performance crowd. And then the '55 Chevrolet hit the market. As told by Ohly, sales for the flathead Ford slowed to a trickle. A meager attempt was made to after overhead sales, with Evans creating patterns for Olds V8 components, but it was the 265 and then 283 Chevrolet that everyone wanted to go fast."

I am going try to gather as many as I can, to leave some of you dreaming about a properly dressed early Chevy V8. Perhaps some of these articles will sway some of you hard core Olds,Cad,Hemi, Nailhead fellers towards acceptance of what is as cool today as it was in the heyday. Take a look!!!!

Viva La Chevy V8!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will scan more in next week and photoshop them so they appear as one image like I did with the above articles. Hope you enjoy!!!

2. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

[​IMG]

DAMN I WANT this one, that is SWEET for sure!NICE thread too Jeffery,a damn GOOD idea dear Chap!

Nick.

3. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I myself wouldn't mind the three window. My next batch of scans is going to include some pretty incredible cars for sure. Thanks Nick, I hope this give a bit more inspiration for that 265 of yours!!!

4. bigblockdude402

bigblockdude402

Very informing. I appreciate your informing the sbc sceptics.

5. belair

belair

Two thumbs up. I love the SBC.

6. roddinron

roddinron

Why those cars must all be dreaded "streetrods" if they're running a sbc!:rolleyes:

7. solid

solid

Sbc made it possible for lots of people to have hot rods. All the cheap performance and swap stuff helped keep hot rodding alive imo. From jeeps to croselys they have been in everything. You can still build a potent sbc cheap. I like em too.

Attached Files:

8. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

9. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Those are great hotrd32!!!!

10. Astrochimp

Astrochimp
    from NE Mo.

The frame is art.

11. Dan Wittenberg from Vancouver, British Columbia Canada installed a factory crate motor smallblock chev in his roadster pickup in the fall of 54. He was working at GM as a mechanic and bought it thru the parts department. It has to be the earliest small block chev transplant as the 55 chev had just hit the showrooms. The pickup was updated over the years and still exists, but with a new owner. Dan has cloned his old roadster pickup as he couldn't buy the old one back. Pat.

[​IMG]

Dan's clone of his roadster pickup.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 24, 2009
  12. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

i love that red tub. that thing is sweet. great idea for a thread, jeffrey.

13. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

The RPU is awesome!

14. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

The small block Chevy will never be as much of a belly button engine as the Flathead Ford once was. At the first Bonneville Nationals 98% of the entrys were Ford powered. I don't know but I doubt people were bashing flatheads for being to common. When I got interested in Hot Rods SBC had just come out and were thought to be a nice package but kind of small at 265 inches. You could buy a Cad at 365 inches. Or an Olds at 324. Seemed like a better deal

15. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

My tastes are changing when it comes to the chevy. These pics are the look I'm going for in my new '32 truck project...

I've rounded up all the parts now to have one look like I just pulled it out of a new 1957 Chevy...a 283 4 bbl.

And those period parts ain't cheap!

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  16. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

The RPU is soo beautiful! I want it.

17. Kreepea_1

Kreepea_1

I like this thread! Nice album Htrd32.

18. oldebob

oldebob
    from Spokane WA

. I think early small blocks are cool. However I doubt that many people on here will be pulling out a Flathead, Hemi, Olds, Pont, Stude and putting one in.

19. oldebob

oldebob
    from Spokane WA

You would have imediately run down to the Chevy dealer and bought a new set of $20.00 Corvette valve covers for it and you know it.;)

20. Chuck R

Chuck R

The sbc has a long history for a reason, regular guys could afford to make real good horsepower and go fast at the track. Yea there are other engines available but the SBC was a good choice when upgrading from a flathead to an OHV.
    chuck

21. BBYBMR

BBYBMR

I have an Album called "Traditional Non-Boring SBC's"........

That's some great stuff. Thank you for posting. Love the SBC!

22. BBYBMR

BBYBMR

JJ - Thank you for that. There is nothing more traditional than the SBC. Cheers!

23. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

My goal for the thread is not to put the SBC on top of the rest of engines but more to level the playing field. I think a correctly Chevy V8 can be just as cool as the rest and it's why I'm building a 265 right now. But variety is also the spice of life so my '32 will someday get a 59ab Flathead not because it's better but more because it fits the year and style that I want to build it. I think all the early Overheads as well as the Flatheads are rad engines!!!!

I'll get on those other scans asap!!!

24. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

uncle larry built this truck back in 59

[​IMG]

25. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Yes, there is a set on the shelf in the shop...:p

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  26. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

[​IMG]

Its believed that this channeled in the front 32 is the first old ford to get a sbc. Assembled from over the counter parts in 54.
    I last saw the three window in person about 12 years ago at a small show in Napa Ca.
    She is still owned by the same guy and I spoke with him at length.
    Interestingly the deuce now runs a big flathead with four Rochester’s.

27. People weren't as opinionated back then, no one to tell them you can't do that !!

28. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

[​IMG]

Uncle Ray rebuilt the car in 57-58 adding the small block, chromed reversed wheels, Carson top, rear fenders and the lime/gold paint. Still some dispute as to whether it was a 265 or 283, because he had gotten the engine in late 56.

Louie

29. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Hell, I'm a Ford guy, and I recognize that the little shivolay motor is iconic. Maybe not optimal in any sense, but pretty damn good in lots of ways.