Register now to get rid of these ads!

hidden (under dash) AM/FM antenna? any recommendations? good or bad....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by '52 F-3, Mar 9, 2009.

1. '52 F-3

'52 F-3

so i mounted a CD player (and 2 speakers) under/behind my dash. I didn't want anything visible and there was no other good options........(it came with a remote control, so i don't need to touch it except to change CDs)

anyway i now need and antenna and have never used one of those hidden (street rod) antennas. do they work? which brands good or bad?

or other mounting locations? maybe under the car.........(oh, it's for a roadster with no hood or fenders)

2. tooslow54

tooslow54

I just stuck a cheapy 8$ under my dash. There were holes in the bracing so I just routed it thru them and zip tied it in place. So far I get pretty good reception...

3. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

I had one mounted under the dash of my '48 Chevy p/u and it didn't work worth a damn. Apparently they work better in a 'glass car.

4. MilesM

MilesM

I have tried two different hidden ones and niether could bring in AM if that matters to you. FM was only fair.

5. Black Primer

Black Primer

Ditto... I did the same on my 40, only FM and not that great. I was thinking about trying to mount one under the running board, might work better?

6. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Go get a plain antenna from the parts store, mount it front to back on the outside or bottom of the frame rail, run the coaxial (or whatever they're called) cable up into the car and hook it into your stereo...I've done several that way and they all work fine...

R-

7. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

I bought one of those antennas from a street rod supplier that sticks to the inside of glass .JUNK it sucks.Wasted $.

8. the shadow

the shadow

mounted one along the frame rail on my 41 willy's worked great!

9. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

I had a plain old junkyard antenna under the seat of my A, it worked just fine.

10. CruZer

CruZer

Yup me,too. I just bolted it to some bracing.It's just a cheapy.
    Glenn

11. old installer tip is mount it in the back of the seat as high as you can get it.make sure its tight and grounded should be good for fm/am

12. I tried one , it was called CAT hidden antennae.IT SUCKED ASS. It even didnt work well when i stuck it directly in the windshield. I ended up drilling a hole in my newly painted body and installed a power unit. I even tried it in my boat with marginal success. JUST JUNK !!! Mitch.

13. fuzzy bunny

fuzzy bunny

I bought a powered antenna from auto lock for my van, stuck it under the dash wired it to the aux power on the CD player and it works killer. I think it was like 30 bucks.

14. bob3757

bob3757
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tigard, Or

I have two cars with the antenna mounted under the car, both work great. I used standard cowl or fender mount antennas. Be sure to use rubber grommets, or some other insulator on the antenna shaft, to prevent grounding of the antenna to the frame or body. Bob

15. look for HARADA PM58 works great for this use

16. '52 F-3

'52 F-3

thanks very much for the replies.........
    i'm going to pickup a standard antenna and temp. mount in a few locations under the car (think i'll try behind the seat also). then permantly fix to the best location.
    fyi,
    he's a picture of the brackets i made to hide the stereo and speakers up under the dash out of view....

[​IMG]

17. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC