Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ed "Big Daddy" Roth collection online

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by COOP666, Jun 14, 2008.

1. Muttley

Muttley

You have a bunch I've never seen, I had no idea there was a B&W Chicken Shift. Way cool post.

2. AD

AD

DOOD!, Coop, your a beautiful man. I've seen some of these in the books i got, but theyre too damn small, thanks!

3. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Whooaa!!
    That is awesome of you doing that big job!
    It is really interesting to browse through all this :)

4. CONG CRUSHER!!! Coop, you are da MAN!

Joel

5. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

Wow this is too cool. I am a young dork who never really saw the "old school" stuff. I got to show my dad this he would freak!

6. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

Wow! thanks for posting all that, I've spent the last 2 hours looking at these and I'm still not through em all.

I grew up as a kid in the 70s/80s and remember many of them but never saw the Vietnam stuff and some of the other ones, esp the biker stuff. I remember a guy down the street coming out one day with some "old model kits" he had in his basement and gave each of the neighborhood kids a kit to build. I got the Mail box bike.

One of the best posts on here in a while.

7. MrExcite

MrExcite

bumpin this up hopin' coop will throw up some of the coloring book scans !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D:eek::D:eek::D:eek:

8. eye bone

eye bone

Thanks Coop! You had a couple I’ve never seen.

Not to bust anyone’s chops or anything… But here's what I've put together out over the years from conversations etc.

I don't know who did the full color decals but they are real early in Roth’s career. After them Ed Newton did most of "Hot Rod Monster" art. among other things… I was told this story by both Roth and Mouse (So it’s either true or they got together and rehearsed it… anything’s possible w/those two), Roth got outsold at a Detroit car show by Mouse so… (In Mouse’s words) "Roth took my catalog back to LA and gave it to Newton, and he whooped shit all over me!" I wish Newton would write what he knows down in a book, I guarantee it'd turn some heads.

Williams did some of the "Hot Rod Monster" designs too… He did many of the Roth adds in the car zine’s, He did allot of the Vietnam designs too (maybe most)! Suzanne Williams Also a very talented artist did allot of work on the publications past-up etc.

Sloan was way later in the 1990's and mostly doing the comic books. After the Pizz did a bunch of real cool little Xeroxed ones. I did some back cover art and was asked to auditioned to "Ghost" for Sloan… but decided I didn’t want to (it’s a long story), and also I airbrushed some shirts.

When I was involved Roth had artists all over the country. His son’s, Gary Mizar, Jimmy C., Mark Balf, etc. Burt

If you look allot at this stuff as I have most of my life you can sort of start to tell each artist's style… look at all those and you can tell several different artist's were involved

Mike, I've got that Choppers book as you know, and I've always loved that art! Never put 2 & 2 together about that decal and your cover art before though… thanks cool stuff!

9. Robert William's chrome style is unique and I'm seeing lots of it here.

Thanks Coop! I'd almost forgotten all of the Vietnam stuff. You're probably correct regarding his reasons to produce it.

10. MrExcite

MrExcite

Bump in the night

11. thechoop

thechoop

Thanks for posting all these COOP... I can remember looking at the microscopic art on those old bw ads in vintage HOT ROD mags back in the 60s and 70s when I was just a kid. Monsters and hot rods forever. I'm gonna have to sign up for flickr to see more!

12. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

Don't know how I missed these when you posted them! Thanks for putting them up :D

See you on the salt?

13. COOP666

COOP666
    from Austin TX

I've been busy scanning and shooting merch for our website relaunch, but I'll get back to the Roth scans soon, promise!

I still don't know if I can go to B'ville, but I think I have a room, so we'll see.

14. Johnny Ace

Johnny Ace

Correct....before Newt, Ed had Disney artist Wes Bennett doing many of the hairy,earlier stuff- the bulk of which is in the early catalogs....Roth also briefly collaborated with Don Monteverde,who inked the looser set of decals ( Rat Fink'alt version', Chicken Shift,Born Mean,others)....Snick..... Ash-eye/Rot-eye is another infamous early employee before Roth fired him and he hooked up with Mouse!
    The Mouse concept that Bennett perhaps used to inspire the popular,standard RF?
    Sittin' right here in my files....it's not Fred Flypogger,even Mouse didn't remember this foto,lol...

Bud Moore "helped" Newt for a bit,but bailed for undisclosed reasons....

Got as much info as you want, just ask.....

Ace

15. Oscar73

Oscar73
    from Seattle

Bud Moore, as in NASCAR, or Bill Moore, like in William A. Moore, Car Craft Cut-A-Way dude?

Or another Bud altogether?

Is there a missing photo, or did I skip over it? (Mouse/RF origin)

Thanks fo' mo' his-tory! You too, Eye-bone!

16. Johnny Ace

Johnny Ace

Oskar,
    No foto...."Eyes Only"......but the image is here, a person would have more luck getting into Groom Lake than my stash,lol....

I asked the same question earlier....2 different Moores.....not the CC artist...this Bud Moore was hired by Ed to "assist" Newt as Art Director for a couple of months,but couldn't make the scene last.....can you believe that? Newt with an "assistant" art director?
    Check out the cover to Roth's Monster Coloring Book & '65 Catalog w/ Finky & Dragster...

17. 57f100

57f100

Wow thanks for posting these. The military ones are really cool. I like the Ford ones too.

18. vexner

vexner

GREAT Thread!!Makes me wish I hadn't stuck mine all over everything when I was a kid.Really takes me back.Thanks

19. eye bone

eye bone

Hey thanks!
    I don't know that much about that real early period of Roth History…

20. eye bone

eye bone

The Roth/Mouse "Rat Fink Origin" controversy (Which could have been all tong in cheek) is not so much a photo. But it comes from a cool Catalog that Mouse put out just around the time he started doing dance poster’s (I have a Xerox copy that’s too thick to scan and post… at least w/my f’ed up scanner). Were Mouse dose a cartoon arguing his case that Roth and Newt used his "Freddie Fly Pogger" as the basis for Rat Fink! I don’t know the truth… but it’s an entertaining part of the "Hot Rod Monster" origin story, for those of us who are curious about the history of all this crazy, sick, stuff!

21. Johnny Ace

Johnny Ace

Eyebone,
    In this case,it is indeed a foto....from 1961...from backdrop artwork.... again-not Fred Flypogger....

As many of you know,the 'standard' RF character in the infamous pose appeared prominently in '63....

Ace

22. freakin awesome!:D

23. eye bone

eye bone

I stand corrected! Thanks!

But as a side note, Mouse did put out a Catalog w/that cartoon… have a Xerox of it in my file cabinet! Just more fun aournd this whole sick subject.

24. Johnny Ace

Johnny Ace

Very true,Eyebone....
    I have all of Mouse! catalogs,Roth's brochures and catalogs, in our files...Mouse' transition to SF poster artist was fascinating....

I know you are a fellow fanatic, so I mention all this for guys like us, as well as for the record,in a non-profit forum.....

Chris Cooper, you can have your thread back now......

Ace

25. eye bone

eye bone

No this is great! I want to get it right!

OK Coop! What he said!…

26. Brundaddy

Brundaddy
    from MI

Bee you tee full, yes indeed! You're good people Coop, I don't care about everything I ever heard from my sister!!! All joking aside, she did tell me some choice tales vis a vis your blackface Xmas nativity with the blunts and 40s, which I deeply wish I had seen for myself even tho I'd have pissed my pants laughing. Mirth and merriment indeed...

NOLAMF

27. autobilly

autobilly

Wow! Great thread!
    Thanks for posting all that art Coop, many pieces I haven't seen before.
    As a Roth fan (although not nearly of the caliber of some of you guys) I also find the background information from guys like Johnny Ace extremely interesting. Thanks for sharing that Ace and others.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2008
  28. MrExcite

MrExcite

Bump again, damn near 2 years !!

Thanks Coop for the catalog scans too, they are ace !!!

29. chryco

chryco
    from Winnipeg

30. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens