Register now to get rid of these ads!

Porsche 356 "HotRod"...?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by McKee, Mar 12, 2008.

1. McKee

McKee

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  2. Mullda

Mullda

Swwweeeett! I wouldn't have thought of modding a 356, but the workmanship and results are fantastic.

3. nexxussian

nexxussian

Does it have the GOW to back up the look?

4. nexxussian

nexxussian

That's a handy start, how much does it weigh in at.

5. Terrific! Is There More Detailed Information Available For This Car?

6. Hooligansince65

Hooligansince65
    from Chicago

Ryan will dig this one. I think It's kickass looking. Would I own one no, but I sure can appreciate all the work. I think It's one more example of doing it right. (FORM-FUNCTION)

7. Very cool and very different.
    Door handles and window "cranks" don't get any more simple than that!

8. thed3vl

thed3vl

Here's another take on a 356... I belive it's from sweden

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. I did a photochop years ago, 2004 :eek:

Attached Files:

10. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I dont know if thats the car but one like it was built to race in the Targa Tasmania here in Oz. I dont believe it ever did though.
    Doc.

11. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

That is sick!!!! WOW

12. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

It still SCREAMS Volkswagen to me.

13. John_Kelly

John_Kelly

14. I dig this car. I believe there was a car that had similar features back in the 50s/60s. I don't think it had a chop, but the rear area was covered similarly.

I am not a huge fan of the wheels, but to each their own.

Bet it goes like stink.

15. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

16. Rem

Rem

So, basically, it's a 911 with a squished-about 356-looking-ish body on it? Bit like a kit car?

The STUKA is cool, although the motor's at the wrong end for me.

17. butch27

butch27

That thing is just cool!

18. bigdreamsnobux

bigdreamsnobux

Ok, don't flame me as this is just my opinion but:

I do really like the 'silva' car's look, but please tell me that was a kit they chopped up and not a real one (for cost sakes).

I am all for doing whatever you want with your own stuff, hey, it's your dime and your car. But usually when I see a car which is considered a valuable collector in it's original format, which someone then seriously customizes, I can't help but wonder 'how long until this owner or the next decides they would prefer it in it's original state' which then leads to 'holy crap that will be alot of work'.

That being said though, I believe this car is a rare example of 'customizing done very well' which you don't usually see when performed on alread iconic factory cars. Very difficult to pull off but I think they did it here. Having some knowledge of the Porsche world, I would say this car looks very 'period possible' despite the wheels. Reminds me of a cross between Audi's famed racer and the later prototype Porsche spyder's race cars of thier day. If it had 14's on it, the most knowledgable Porsche guy would have to take a closer look.

You'll still have Porschefiles rolling eyes, but I would bet very few in this car's case. Which if you know the Porsche crowd, that says a lot!!!

19. dutchcedar

dutchcedar

A bit more like a 914, 'cause the engine's in the middle... :cool:

20. man that thing is cool,looks almost like it belongs at on the salt flats

21. 41woodie

41woodie

Nice car, very Audi TT looking. I was lucky enough to own a 356-A for about 4 years, when compared to current cars they were ok, but when you think about how they compared to a 1957 (mine was a '57) car they were the space shuttle. Reasonable speed and comfortable ride, but they do have a nasty habit of swapping ends in a heartbeat when they start to drift. Someone did a fine job of redesigning that one.

22. CNC-Dude

CNC-Dude

Well, like Posies says "Anybody can restore an Antique...it takes a real man to Cut One Up!"

23. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

that's a cute dune buggy. I liked it up until I saw the hokey "silver bullet" logo. the Stuka is way cooler. the original Stuka was a WW2 German dive bomber with wind powered sirens that would scream as it dove to attack.

24. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I like the idea, but I think the builder went a little over board with vents, scoops, etc... It reminds my a little of a Steve Moal car. Just.... too much.

And the wheels are awful.

Somewhere in Houston there is a guy with a "hot rodded" 550 spyder. It's subtle and clean... and fast as shit. I'll find pics.

25. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

Sorry guys if you don't like it but I think that's one bad "Hitler Hot Rod". I would love to have that nestled in between the '29 and '34. And then I would have a hot rod for all reasons.

26. Tony

Tony

I have to agree with being just a little over board, and on the wheel's..but i do dig the car..
    I'd LOVE to see the pics of the 550 you mentioned though....
    Those are my favorite Porsche....second come's the 365 Speedsters.
    The Stuka car is just plain cool..

27. Gator Mc Klusky

Gator Mc Klusky

Wow that's cool!!! Way cool! I imagine the look of german Porsche restorers, when this rolls up!
    Stuka yeah!

28. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

The gray "wheels up" 356 is a much better looking car.....

The lines of an early 356 (or ANY early Porsche) cannot be improved upon.....

29. Kev Nemo

Kev Nemo

yeah-logo and overdone scoops/wheels kill it, but easy fix.
    Wind powered sirens? Really? That sounds counterproductive to killing people and planes. Weird...

30. beaulieu

beaulieu
    from So Cal

The first car was built in No Cal, great workmanship even though there are some things I did not like , they really did a great job inside and out.

to me it looked like they tried too hard , putting every crazy or cool design idea in this one project ,
    if you look at the door picture it has a a side view miror in the door panel !

They also did another radical chop top 356 that they showed with this one at the Porsche show in Ventura last year,

I think I will stay with a more period 50s look and less Speed Racer

Beaulieu