Register now to get rid of these ads!

Speed from 1904 to 1964

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. Gerg

Gerg

so have you earned to many tickets that you have to take driving school or is that just some crazy texas thing?

3. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Yeah, I went to bad-boy school a couple years ago. It was actually kinda fun, and I learned a couple of things.
    The girl next to me had a nice set in a low cut shirt. Let us know how your day went!

4. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

wow,
    ive never seen footage of modifieds(bob tails?) racing
    the #41 from this painting is in there clearly!
    [​IMG]

5. defensive driving school? to many speeding tickets?you really are a hoodlum!

6. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Way to go man, haha. You can't just buy them off in Texas?

7. WhoDoYouFink

WhoDoYouFink

Why do they call it defensive driving school when you're the one speeding and causing problems? :D Shouldn't everyone else worry about you? hehehehe Have fun. When I was 18, I had so many points on my license that I had to go to driving school and they still took it away for 3 months. No fun.

8. When I worked for the gas company they sent us through driver reviews and defensive driving courses. After you have taken defensive driving you will wonder how you ever survived before it. Pat.

9. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

Ha!, you delinquent! I had to do that a couple of years ago. I went flying around a big curve on Piasano here in El Paso in my Fiat (right in front of a cop waiting to turn right). The cop told me "You were going 65, it was so fast your car was leaning over". I told him "It's a sportscar, it's supposed to do that".

Bam!, ticket (I was gonna get the ticket anyway).

For those of you who don't live in TX, this is our "get out of the ticket" thing. You get the charge reduced but you have to go to traffic school as part of the deal.

10. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

the video you can watch at home . is the way to go .

11. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

I have discovered that ALL the photo radars here are turned off. It costs too much to maintain them. HA! We win again!

12. Be sure to let your insurance know. Regardless of why you take the driving class they
    will give you a discount for making yourself a better driver.

13. 2002p51

2002p51

California has the same deal. Go to school, the ticket stays off your record. But I wonder where they get the idiots who teach it.

The last time I went the teacher gave us the following pearls of wisdom;

He stated that the reason a car goes into a skid during a panic stop is that when you apply the brakes hard, there's a chemical reaction that takes place between the tires and the pavement. This chemical reaction liquifies the rubber and you slide on that.

I kid you not, he really said that.

Later on he explained how to use a manual transmission to slow the car by saying that when you shift down to a lower gear, the friction in the engine slows the car.

I guess he never heard of oil! (Or compression for that matter)

And these guys are tested and certified by the state. :O

14. mcload

mcload

Thanks for the clips, Ryan.
    The answer to number 12 is D: All of the above ;-)

Patrick

15. johnnyvees

johnnyvees
    from sunland ca

yo thanks 4 the video it was great i used to race at ascot speedway in the 80s and at saugus speedway .thanks 4 bringing back some of the good times

C-ya johnnyV
    car#44

16. oaktree

oaktree

Bummer. I hate that shit. They make it last 8 to 10 hours to punish you so you think twice about going fast again. If it didn't take away the insurance company from sticking up your ass, it would be better just to pay the fine. They got you coming and going.

Great video though!

17. Terry

Terry

This sounds to funny to be true, but I swear it happened.

The last time I took it, we were taking a test at the end. When we finished we could leave. One girl finished first, handed the instrutor her paper and went out the door. A few minutes later there was a large BAM! at the back of the class room.

we all turned to see the front end of a big Ford truck sticking through the cinder tile brick wall. When the dust had cleared we found out it was that same girl. She had barrowed her Daddy's truck to come to class, and it was her first time with a stick. She started it in gear, and before getting it stopped had re-entered driving class, so to speak.

I laughed till I hurt.

18. nexxussian

nexxussian

Great video. I haven't HAD to go to one of those classes. I went to a Bondurant course years ago now. Of course that doesn't count towards cheaper insurance here.:(

19. Scrumpy

Scrumpy
    from NH93 Exit1

Proof that Ryan is a Hoodlum! :)

20. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

i thought DEFENSIVE driving school was what cops took to learn cool maneuvers

21. jimdillon

jimdillon

Ryan, thanks for posting that video. I try to collect all I can from DePalma's #4 car (the one that beat Oldfield on that day in 1917 at Sheepshead Bay) as I have all that remains of the car. Here is the OHC 12 and the original radiator off the car. Neat to see the video of Depalma, Oldfield and Louis Chevrolet going at it in that match race at Sheepshead-Thanks even in spite of your circumstances for posting it.-Jim

Attached Files:

22. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Oh man, that rollover footage is BRUTAL if you look close, I think the car's front wheel comes down on the driver.

What I particularly love about defensive driving school is total ignorance of the accelerator as a tool to control your car in a skid.

23. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Remember the episode of Taxi when Reverend Jim was going for his license and Bobby went along to help him out/cheat on the exam. Rev Jim asks, What does a yellow light mean? Bobby whispers "Slow down" Jim says, W h a a t
    d o e s a y e l l o w l i g h t m e a n

24. autobilly

autobilly

Damn, can't get the vidio/story/pic's(?) for this J.J. entry. Ryan, hope you didn't wear your Redwings... hoodlum!

25. craftscustoms

craftscustoms

I'll be doing the same thing on the 26th. Not the best way to start out the new year...

26. skullcracker

skullcracker
    from Austin

Don't those bastards know who you are by now?!!!

27. hmmm
    does acting up in this class get you a few hours of detention?..
    ....mandatory riding with the 4 foot 2 blue hairs with the wrong turn signals left on attempting to merge into 70 mph traffic on the freeway....

please show us your home work before your dog eats it...

28. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

8 hours later and I'm finally done... That sucked!

29. river1

river1

so as the teacher was winding down and you knew you were about done (for lunch or the end of the day) did you have an IDIOT ask a long winded question that had a multi part answer? EVERYtime i've been to traffic school i had one.

later jim

30. COOP666

COOP666
    from Austin TX

Here in lovely California, you can do that traffic school stuff online. (I know, I've had to do it twice!)