Register now to get rid of these ads!

Logos & Decals

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  2. Marquardt

Marquardt

The B&M Ratchetman... my all time favorite logo.

3. Barz51

Barz51

Today's stuff is flashy and slick but it lacks the character of yesterday's logos.

4. Jobe

Jobe
    from Austin, Tx

If you go to the cartype page and at the top click on company logos, there is alot of information about each car company there...I just found out Cadillac was originally started by Ford, then went independent and then picked up by GM. oh yeah...this one is pretty awesome!

[​IMG]

5. tjm73

tjm73

I've always liked this one......

[​IMG]

6. brandon

brandon

speaking of hydro stick man .....does anyone have a good shot of , i think , its mazmanian's willys with what appears to be a ed roth style hydro stick man ....roth could have even lettered the car...probably from around 61 62 ish.....? brandon:D

7. I love logos...
    [​IMG]

8. image1

image1
    from Ada, Oh

i have a bunch of these laying around i'll try to get some scans of, they are way cooler than most of todays, you can't argue with simplicity

9. Cool thread. I have this one on my driver's side vent window.

Attached Files:

10. DirtyDan

DirtyDan

The Stone, Woods, Cook, Willy's had a Roth lettered ratchet man on the lower 1/4 panel. Check out the latest Rodders Journal for a pic.

11. Bullington

Bullington
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Great link. I used that when I had this made by Andy at Zumografx. I sketched it out on paper and he did all the heavy lifting. I had decals made and they turned out great!

Attached Files:

12. bullsac, that's a great logo!

13. Bullington

Bullington
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Thanks! PM me your addy and I will send you some decals

14. FritzTownFord

FritzTownFord

Any guys of a certain age get warm feelings for the old ones because we all collected them and stuck'em on anything we could - school books, bikes, first tool box, etc. And the art was freehand and beautiful.

But from a marketing approach, only a few really performed to their maximum potential. The Racer Brown Cams "woodpecker" has to be the champ image of all hot rodding. Less than half the guys who stick'em on their cars today know what they represent, but just dig the image. Just screams "outlaw"!

In today's market the VP Racing Fuels logo is king. Clean and simple. I used to do marketing for them and was always amazed at how visible the decal was on a moving car, burn-outs, on TV, even from 100 feet away. That's the test of a great logo from a commerce point of view.

15. patgizz

patgizz
    from cleveland

here is the one on the back window of my 54, it's been there since at least the mid 70's, when my dad bought the car. he said the decal looked at least a few years old then. i don't know anything about it but it's cool.

Attached Files:

16. Barz51

Barz51

Are you thinking of the Clay Smith logo?
    [​IMG]

17. brandon

brandon

the swc version is cool.....but the maz version is straight off of a roth t shirt.....:D been looking for a clearer pic of the artwork for years.....anyone have any shots of it .....? brandon:D

Attached Files:

18. Muttley

Muttley

A couple of my favorites:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Just a quick comment about the Schnieder Cams iron cross. That was the only German insignia that was seen when I was a kid that was OK to have on your car. Back then WWII vets were still pretty spry and a swastika or Luftwaffe style iron cross would get you a poke in the snoot and a quick history lesson. And nobody dared to show a rising sun flag. The vets were not, even slightly, OK with that stuff. Also, if I remember correctly, the Schnieder logo was one of the first decals seen on hot rods.

20. Those vets might have known that, but, I don't think they'd have cared. They had marched through hell to allow us to be skate punks or what ever we want to be. Then they came home and created the hot rods and customs we all love today. It's no wonder they are called the Greatest Generation. We would be better off to venerate the whole ethic of those guys as well as the cars they created. If America ever has to face an enemy like the Axis, I wonder if we could rise to the task.

Anyway, that's why you'll never see swastikas, rising suns or SS death heads on my stuff. It dishonors my heros.

21. Well said.

22. Jack Luther

Jack Luther

Clay Smith's cigar-chomping woodpecker and the Mooneyes logo. Instantly recognizable and timeless.

23. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Getting this one back on track...

24. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Muttley...got any 'extras' of that CAL automotive decal???;) :D Very neat.

Bullsac.....where in Seattle is your shop???

25. Ramblur

Ramblur

I seem to be developing an old tool fetish as of late. In one of the
    boxes of junk that has come my way was a 5 in. monkey wrench
    made by Billings and stamped PIERCE with an arrow going through it.
    I was wondering if it could be a Pierce arrow wrench and the links
    on the JJ today seem to bear that out as evidenced below. Cool
    decals too for a little time trippin. Thanks!

[​IMG][​IMG]

26. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Speed equipment logos from the fifties and sixties were generally designed by somebody's sister-in-law or a friend of a friend. Bright, bold and simple are not the "buy" words of a lot of computer trained graphic artists today. A decal easily recognized at "speed" is the Crower Cam lobe style design in purple/white/black from the sixties.

27. Muttley

Muttley

I only have two more and I've already got them stashed away in my personal collection. There's a small chance that I might be able to get a few more, if I do they will be posted here.

28. brandon

brandon

i tell my customers , it may look cool ....but if you can't read it ....it isn't working.....:D simple is better... the eelco feet are another cool logo.....brandon:D

29. Deadender60

Deadender60

I could go broke if I bought all the old decals I want... good stuff!

-Juan

30. That is the best"old style"logo i've seen,that is actually not from "back in the day"!Where can one get a decal?