Register now to get rid of these ads!

5W stance/chassis inspiration request

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mike Zenor, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Okay, a few months ago I got my ceremonial spanking, swallowed the koolaid, and joined the Mysterious Cult of Deucedom(TM) courtesy continentaljohn....

http://static.flickr.com/110/305722027_91da818f68.jpg

it's an ancient Chicago hot rod, pre-'63 hammer weld chop. Has been in pieces for 40+ years. Anyhoo, abomber30 and I have been gassing about various ideas for putting it back together over the winter.

The only certainty for now: it will be fenderless, simple, late fifties style. But we're still debating the right stance - highboy, lowboy, tire rake, etc. I'm very partial to the Busby 5w deuce, but also dig the "Rolling Bones" suicide look, Clark's 5w, Bass's coupe among others.

That's where you come in... got '32 5w or an A coupe on Deuce rails? Post some inspirational pix, along with as much suspension detail as you can - type of crossmember / springs, notching, steering box, bones or radius rods.

Thanx in advance
    Zenor

2. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Here's a small picture of mine, pretty basic. I copied a socal frame, model A front and rear crossmembers. The flat part of the frame is one inch higher in the back, vega steering cause I like to drive and not have it feel like I'm driving a truck. Tires are 600x16 and 750x16. Hope that helps

Attached Files:

3. Thanks! What kind of spring in front - reversed eye, monoleaf etc?

4. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

it's a reversed eye spring with five leaves, Magnun axle because I wanted to use stock steering arms.

5. here's mine Mike - Nice body. My body was heavily molested and was sectioned and chopped with no floor. I think I am ending up with a slightly channeled chopped high boy, if that make sense.

It has a transverse leaf in the rear with a model a front cross member - it isn't too low at all. It will need some notching for the front spring that I haven't done yet. I have hair pins/batwings with pivot perches. The rear is a 4 link set up. I have pan hard bars on both ends.

I would really suggest planning on notching the frame for the rear axle if going low.

I would suggest Bass's frame as the unlitmate model for the frame and suspension. Its too late for me now.

Attached Files:

6. Big Dirty

Big Dirty

Mine

Attached Files:

7. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

I'm building my 5W as a highboy, nothing beats the look of a traditional '32 sitting on top of the rails..

- Brian

8. LB+1

LB+1
    from 71291

When you got a set of Deuce rails show-em

9. Plowboy

Plowboy

I think you need to unchop it and turn it into a highboy. Like that Purple one on Hatch's thread. Ha Ha Ha

10. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I don't know chassis details and I personally wouldn't build one this way - but I like how this car looks. Very nice.

I say throw all of that "have to show your Deuce rails off" stuff in the garbage. If you want to channel it, channel it. Do what you have to do to get it setting how you want. Plenty of really nice looking cars channeled over Deuce rails.

Coincidentally I'm working out some of the same problems. I like the look of the Doans/RB cars. But I like frame horns and have plans for mine so I want to keep them.

Attached Files:

11. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

My only real issue with channeling these cars is the relationship of the tire and rear quarter... It's a personal thing, but I'm not huge on cars that sit lower than their rear wheel wells allow. I know that is popular now and was somewhat popular in the 60's, but I've always felt it hurts the lines of the car.

12. sometimes on these cars it looks cool when the radius of the wheel now matches the radiuse of the trunk lid instead of the fenderwell - I think it has to be either one. I am not a fan of the really channeled cars. This ot the first day the body was thrown on the chassis

Attached Files:

13. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

That is exactly how I set up the stance on my car, looked for a uniform reveal around the rear tire, looks like it's supposed to be that way.

14. This was mine here is one for you ............

Attached Files:

15. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I think the front of this car sits right - though the rear end could be a bit higher to put the tire in the wheelwell. I'd love to see some details on the front end to use as a starting point.

Attached Files:

16. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Sénor Zénor, you ALREADY said the magic word... Busby...

May the Force be with you.

[​IMG]

17. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

I think a '32 coupe looks good channelled @ 4". Shows just enough frame. Frames look too tall otherwise (most of the time...imo).....the exception being a '29 roadster on deuce rails....

18. Better yet, whack the whole top off and replace it with a phonebooth T! Bring up your welder and a case of Schlitz, homeboy.

Ryan - I'm personally not big on channeling over Deuce frames, but this is about nuts-on for a stance... I think it's a 3" channel...

[​IMG]

19. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I was typing and searching for that photo I posted as you replied. And I mostly agree but then I think of cars like the Kougaz roadster, Tom Branch's car, and a few nameless ones I have a pictures of in various dog-eared little pages. Maybe it has something to do with being a roadster that lets them get away with it?

Remember that 3W in Rodders Journal that was channeled with the wheelwell moved up? That thing was pretty damn perfect - and I guess falls in line with the issue you have.

20. Now you're talking, Chad... anybody have details on the chassis setup for the Busby coupe? Isn't it currently owned by that collector guy up in Madison WI?

21. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

I have the three inch pieces from when I chopped mine. They could be added to an unchopped car to fit a bigger head. Now that's a look no one has seen I'll bet.

22. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Ok, I admit it... It would be hard for me to decide too. The Busby coupe is perfect. And yet that SoCal coupe is also one of my personal top Deuces of all time.

Feel the Power of the Dark Side... :D

23. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

A few more to CHEW on.....

24. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'll second that, it would be nice to see some photos of cars that had the wheel well raised to center it on the tire.

25. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Yeah, that socal 5w is pretty sharp... The saving grace is the fact that they took the time to bring the wheel well up on the body so as not to give it the johnny-come-lately look.

There is one super chanelled '32 that was done without regard to the wheel well that I actually do like... I can't think of the name of the car, but you will know it... Washington blue '32 roadster with a bellypan... Historically significant car that won the Myer award at the roadster show a few years back. Also in TRJ at some point...

26. abomber30 is building the one on the left, the one on the right is Busby... both are righteous

27. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

This one???
    Jim Khougaz (sp?) roadster

28. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Oh... and mike... Get the TRJ that featured Ken Gross' roadster... It sits on the same frame as the Busby coupe pretty much... And I believe that article included technical specifications...

29. That'd be the Kougaz roadster, it's owned by the same guy in Madison who owns the Busby... talk about a killer garage!

30. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

That's the one...