Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tijuana Tuck n Roll Interior

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by notebooms, Apr 28, 2006.

1. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

Hey folks,

Years ago, I had my interior completely TJ tuck n rolled right in Tijuana. The place that did it like I like my women: cheap, quick and quality. Nowadays, they are long gone.

Anybody braved the TJ trip to have their interior done? I really need a referral to someplace before I take the route.

Who wants to spend $3k plus on an interior anyway, when you are close to good ole TJ Tuck n Roll?

Does the tradition continue?

By the way, here is what i'm looking to get interior for-- all white vinyl.

thanks,

-scott noteboom

Attached Files:

• side.jpg
      side.jpg
      File size:
      21.3 KB
      Views:
  2. famous59

famous59
    from dallas, tx

I think I would rather spend the money here in the states knowing that you would be getting your car back. I would think that having your car in Tijuana from the states is not a good idea. Car comes up missing what can you do ? I am sure that after researching some shops here in the states you can meet or even beat the quality of our southern neighbors. I highly recommend Fat Lucky at South Austin Speed Shop. www.southaustinspeedshop.com

3. ray

ray
    from colorado

scott, this came up here a year or so ago, try doing a little searching, some guys said they were gonna do it, but never got around to it as far as i know. some reccomendations for good shops in TJ were given. most everybody that had personal experience having had it done in recent years had good luck and said all the quality stories were bullshit. only thing anybody said bad was to bring your own thread.

4. seldom scene

seldom scene

Since TJ is just down the street, and U S shops lose a lot of business to them I am reluctant to reccomend T J shops. However a lot of trimmers in San Diego and further north learned the trade in T J, then moved to this side when they got proficient. Someone on this board had a shop named Cadillac do their work and praised the experience on the HAMB. I have an arrange ment with the Federales, so I haven't been to Mexico in over 30 years, so I cannot reccomend. I used to consider them unfair competetion because upholstery is a difficult medium to master and it took me a long time to get good enough to make a living. I am now too old to care, I just do "hobby" jobs, mostly my own cars.

5. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

Thanks Ray. Found this thread that has some good info: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52867&highlight=tijuana+interior Looks like Axle had some really good experiences. If anyone else has any good info, please add...

As far as safety-- i've been driving into Mexico for years and, using common sense, havent lost a thing. As a matter of fact, back in the day we dropped a friends truck off in TJ when he couldnt afford the payments and he figured it would be long gone and his insurance would get him out of it. Suprisingly, the TJ police reported it found and it came back home. My friend was bummed.

In the past i've also gone to TJ for chrome work and had a good experience and the pricing was EXCELLENT. What sucks badly is that my 10 year + memory is shot and I can't remember where I went.

6. Wasahawaiianrat

Wasahawaiianrat

what kind of price tag does that run?!!!

7. Mad-Lad

Mad-Lad
    from California

This thread scared me for a secound.....I glanced at your car and said WTF...But its not the same....lol
    Funny cause my friend and I were just talking about maybe takeing a trip down to T.J. so he can get his interior done.

Attached Files:

8. Model "Eh"

Model "Eh"
    from Denver

Well, a Mexican friend of mine has a house near Mexico City. He was driving a load down there in his '53 ford pickup. He stopped just south of the border to get some gas (not sure where) and was beat up and robbed, and his truck was stolen. Never saw it again.
    That kinda makes me nervous. Of course, the same thing could happen here, I guess.

9. axle

axle
    from Drag City

notebooms, did you see the link and read my posts?

i just took a car down there last monday. i was out of there by 8:00 p.m. and again was very satisfied.

fish tacos/ carnitas,and carne asada tacos were good as usual!

10. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

What is it with 'fish tacos'??..lol

Anyway, i've heard horror stories about there but still want to try it for myself...

11. LuckyBastardMiguel

LuckyBastardMiguel

My advice to you is to just do it here cause there work is turning into shit now and there starting to charge just as much as here and think of it this way how bout a stitch or panel comes lose are going to drive back to T.J from San Jose just for a that fix when you could go to your local guy around the cornor:D

thanks,

12. axle

axle
    from Drag City

13. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Not trying to be a wise guy, but can't you find a couple of "illegals" to do it?

14. Fish taco, boy that brings back memories - I could tell you a story about a lonely chubby girl, a naive boy, a bottle of Yukon Jack, prom night and a "fish taco" but the whole thing is just too painful...

15. An alternative to the TJ T&R is a USA one.

Pretty obvious I know, but you can do it a bit at a time and not kill the budget.

13 years ago, when upholstery time came for the 32 I went to a local, big name, guy-to-go-to shop for an estimate.
    Got there at 10 and he still wasn't open.
    Checked at the chrome shop next door, they laughed and told me he was hardly ever there at 8 let alone 10.

Guy shows up around 11, hung over.
    Ok, I've been there and done that, but....

Guy shows me around the shop which is not too swift in the security dept.
    A 6 year old could have kicked the door in.
    Strike one.

Then he shows me a very nice, finished 'cept for upholstery 34 Ford sedan.
    It had carpet and a start on the rear seat.
    Then I find the car has been there for 16 months.
    Sorta like those body shops that take your car in, shoot a touch of primer on and never get back to the car.
    Strike two.

The quote for one simple seat, carpet in front and trunk of a roadster. side panels was $3000.
    The guy did nice work, no doubt, but with the unsecure shop, lack of responsibility and taking forever to do the work unless you were one of his buds pretty much turned me off.
    It all added up to strike three for me.
    Sad part was, I had about $2200. set aside to finish the 32 and that should have been plenty for upholstery at that time.

Keep in mind the bit about keeping the car in a poorly secured shop for a long time.
    Our cars are nothing more than a collection of easily fenced parts.

A little off the subject, but one local body shop that catered to hot rods had very expensive parts stolen off the cars that were in the shop.
    Corvette grille, 34 Ford grille etc.

All of which boils down to, at least it did for me, if you get bad vibes from the place stay away.

Kinda sad in view of how many honest upholstery and body shops there are.

Trick is to do a little research before you dive in.

I found a young, well recommended young guy who'd been running his shop about six months.
    Good part about him was he took cars in and got em out when promised.

What worked well for me was to have the 32 upholstered a bit at a time.
    Got the carpets done.
    Few weeks later, the side panels were done - and this was a blessing cuz I was gonna put vinyl T&R on the seats until I found the side panels got hotter'n blue blazes when the car sat in the sun.
    About a month went by and I had the seat done in a velour type material.
    It looks ok, but leather would have been better.
    I hear that even black leather doesn't get overly hot in the sun.
    Something to think about when you run an open car.

Each bit of upholstery was done in one day and the car didn't have to stay at the shop overnight.

The interior ended up costing $700. total.

Later on, I had the trunk, floor and side panels carpeted as well as had carpet put onto the inside of the trunk lid.
    That was around $150. or so.

The upholstery has held up pretty well.

For the roadster guys who want a top, lots of ways to get one, but one of the best is to do it yourself.
    LeBaron-Bonney sells nice top irons and oak bows.
    Their top kit is easy to install at home.

In fact, most tops done by most upholstery shops are kits from various makers.

Mine's about 11 years old and still looks good.

Some of you may be thinking I'm a bit of a worrywart.
    I am, I admit it.
    But . . . I've been burned by the assholes proclaiming expertise in a particular field and screwing up expensive stuff before as well as had things ripped off and mysteriously disappear.
    Most of that is cured by researching, getting local rodders word of mouth recommendations and best of all, doing everything on the car yourself that you possibly can.
    It ain't Rocket Science and even Rocket Scientist's put together some pretty nice cars.
    You just have to be willing to try.

Each car you build, the work done by your own hands should be better than the last.

End of lecture....

16. WOW, what a great thread, very interesting. Love the work being turned out at the Austin Shop. Anyone know of a good shop in Florida? Hell, Orlando is getting to be just like L.A. Spanish population is growing rapidly, bringing lots of talent and hard workers here.
    JT

17. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

18. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

Small world, especially when you real dont see a lot of wagons out there... just saw your car at the show in Hollister yesterday, we drove down from San Jose in mine.

Take care and see you around.

-scott

19. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

Axle,

Yeah, saw your posts.

So, what was the car you took down last week and how much did it cost? Same place-- Cadillac Upholshery? Give me any hints/info you think are useful-- and i'll appreciate it greatly.

Between driving down, etc (i'd wrap this into a vacation and stay down at a timeshare I have at Rosarito Beach Hotel,) I'm thinking i'd have to say at least $1000 bucks before i'd consider.

Understand all, that usually im pretty firm in supporting USA and am not really a cheap ass. Half the deal of considering this is the adventure and the fact that I like Mexico (driven length of baja a couple times and have been south of the border many times)....

If I do decide to take the trip, i'll be sure to take pics and do a write up for the HAMB.

Thanks,

-scott noteboom