Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tempest 4 cylinder 4-Barrel?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by restorit, Oct 7, 2013.

1. A 62 Pontiac Tempest Convertible came into the local wrecking yard last week. When I looked under the hood, I found a 195 cid 4 cylinder with a 4-barrel carb and chrome valve cover. 166 HP at 4800 RPM. Cost $34.00 extra. Thought some might find this interesting.

Attached Files:

2. Flat Roy

Flat Roy

It would be very interesting to play around with that one. perhaps in a "T" or an "A".

3. if you want to see something else interesting , look at the rear end

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Damn, that is complete and there has to be some hard core Pontiac guy looking for one of those. Yes, outside of the aircleaner that appears to be the factory setup.

My roommate in trade school had a Tempest around that year with the mild 4 banger and was always tearing up those spaghetti driveshafts in the thing.

5. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Yes, a rare setup. From the appearance of the carb, though, it looks like someone strapped an AVS from a '66 Chevy 327 on it. Also, that's a '67 or newer valve cover stolen from a GTO or Firebird.

6. Here are pics of the car. Crazy with a trans axle and auto trans. Not sure what is going on but maybe the gears have been removed? It was too muddy to take a look.

Attached Files:

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It looks like someone snagged the rear springs out of that one. Some of the Pontiac guys I was around Saturday would have latched on to that whole car in record time before it hit the wrecking yard. It looks pretty restorable yet.

8. I owned one in nearly that same condition, for about a year. Sold it to a local HAMBer, who in turn sold it to his neighbor. No four-barrel, but otherwise an identical car. I do not know if it's back on the road yet.

9. JackdaRabbit

JackdaRabbit
    from WNC

Back in the 70's the guy, that owned the shop I worked in, had one of those stashed aside. A buddy of his stopped by after work and talked him into pulling it into the shop with his "contractor" pickup. Planks sticking out of his truck hit the windshield and broke it. My boss was so pissed he walked around that car with his bench hammer and smashed out every other window then proceded to work out his frustrations on the body panels. It went to the scrape yard.

10. bgaro

bgaro

that is pretty neat, those pistons must be huge.

11. elba

elba

I remember seeing couple of those back then. As I recall they had a pretty good built in vibration.

12. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

It is, literally, half of a 389 V8. You could hop it up with one Pontiac V8 performance head and header.

13. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Yes, the engine mounts were made from Jell-O pudding in an attempt to keep it from transferring to the body. I had a '62 2 door for a winter car one year. Mine was an automatic with a shifter on the dashboard that looked more like a heater selector. I wonder if this one's a four speed?

14. This one is an automatic on the dash. I understand it was operated by using a cable setup. The Tempest might be restorable or maybe just for parts but it does have a good title from the 70's.

15. I had one with the 4 speed transaxle in the mid 80s... I could chirp 2nd.

16. pontman

pontman

Not many of those dual plane 4bbl intakes around, not to mention the throttle cable, linkage, and bracket. A freind of mine runs one of those 4 banger Pontiacs with a blower at the drags, very cool!

17. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

My buddy had one with that engine and a four speed. I had a '63 with a 1 barrel and a three speed. Mine was OK but his was pretty quick. Both had 10 to 1 compression and I think he had a better cam. But that was a long time ago.Maybe I'm mixing it up with something else.

18. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Pontiac did offer all sorts of combinations, like 10.25:1 with a one barrel OR four barrel. One thing you've got to say for Pontiac; between this and the OHC 6, they weren't afraid to try something different.

19. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's cool, looks like the yard has some other good stuff too. Haven't been through Otley in decades, is the "Otley LuRch" sign still there? How about the house with all the mopars in the yard?

20. Dangerous Dan

Dangerous Dan

Back in the day there was a well known engine builder, can't remember who, any way he took a 4 cyl. and sawed it in half and made a 2 cyl engine and put it in a small rail. It was quite fast.

21. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Mickey Thompson did that.

22. dynaflash

dynaflash
    from South

So what are you going to do with it? Scrap it or save something?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

23. Hey - The Otley Lunch is long gone. Not sure when but is now home to CO-OP gas pumps. House with all the MOPARs is still there and still has cars around it. I came to this area in 1968 and they were there then. I think some might have been sold.
    The yard that holds the Tempest has lots of good old stuff and it is all for sale - not saving it into rust/dust and the owner will let you look around all you want. Lots of his inventory have good titles.

25. Yeah, a guy I knew in high school had one and it was still a fairly new car. His had the four speed, and while no rocket, it could take most sixes and four cylinder sports cars of the day.

I don't know about a restore, that car's crying out for a 421 transplant.... LOL!

26. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow that's good to know. Next time I'm back in the area to see family I may get the info from you and go there. I see you have a few Chevies for sale, strange question, but did I buy a hood for a Challenger from you back in the 80s?? Plum crazy with stars all over it?

Sorry to hijack the thread everybody! Here's blown Tempest 4 posted by beebing to keep us on topic!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  28. Gary from southern Michigan.....

If you're on the Hamb, why not post pictures of your red 61 Tempest wagon. It's a 4 cyl 4bbl with automatic too.

29. hendo0601

hendo0601
    from Tacoma, WA

Whoa...that thing is pretty rad! I bet you would get a lot of people doing double takes when you lift the hood on that car.

30. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Some guy named thompson played around with them for a while back in the '60's, didn't he? (Mickey loved Ponchos of all kinds: V-8's, Tempest 4's, even half-Tempest 2's came out of his shop at one time or another!!)