Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 273 mopar engine looking for info

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OldBlueOval, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Running a 273 in my '66 Dart GT, no complaints.

2. jbtine

jbtine

I just thought of one small problem with running a 273. It's not a big deal if you know about it but if you don't it will bite you in the butt about the time your replacing that automatic transmission with a 68 and later 904 or even an A500. The 67 and earlier cranks had a 40mm center hub that the torque converter fit in. Later cranks have a 46mm hole.
    If you go to the later trany you can't use the earlier torque converter because the pump spline count is also different. There may be some some small hub converters that fit the later tranys but how many are available who knows. I rebuilt my Dad's 67 273 Valiant and actuall use a 69 318 crank that way any later trany worked just fine. They use to include a spacer ring with rebuilt converters so the earlier trany could be used behind 68 and later engines. Another solution would be to have the rear of the crank machined to 46mm while rebuilding that 273.

3. tanof

tanof
    from New Mexico

Doesn't Offy offer an intake for this engine? I see a listing in my old PAW catalog. It is under their custom order section where you have to wait one or two months and once the order is made, it is non-refundable.

4. OldBlueOval

OldBlueOval
    from Upstate NY

Thanks for all the info everyone!! I got the 273 with the 904 auto transmission the motor looked clean for it's year. All the linkage and motor mounts came with it . It has the 4 barrel intake and carb, came out of a barracuda 235 horse power turns over adjustable rockers . It was stored inside in a heated garage! The guy I got it from had a valiant 2 barrel set up ,he was going to change his car over to the 4 barrel but had all the papper work on the vailant was for 2 barrel changed his mind. I think if I run headers, new distrubtor, new carb would increase the Hp. will open it up when the weather gets better. Joe

5. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

When I was reading my books, I'm pretty sure it said that the 64-65 273s all had solid lifters, then in 66 they offered the hydraulic.

6. the real nice thing about a 273 is they had solid lifters ! that means Adj rockers not found on any 318/340/360s. they bolt on any LA motor and work with high lift cams like a chevy would. its also a hard hiting high rev motor like the 327 or 289 were.

7. I RUN A 273 IN MY UTE WITH SHAVED HEADS & BLOCK, 360 VALVES, AND 340 CAM SHAFT.
    THAT EQUALS 7000rpm EVERY DAY AND 140mph. YOU CAN REV THEM ALL DAY AND THEY
    SOUND AWESOME!!! ALSO MINE CAME WITH THE STEEL CRANK, THE SAME AS A 340.
    In the past, finding affordable pistons for a 273 rebuilt was a challenge. No more. Egge Machine Company has 273 pistons availble in 2 styles, low deck (9:1 compression ratio) and high deck (10.5:1 compression ratio). Prices are reasonable for high compression pistons. www.egge.com .

8. we must have picks Kustom lines a ute mopar I would like to see this please

9. SURE. I HAVE SINCE DITCHED THE CAPS AND RUN BLACK STEELS WHICH LOOKS MUCH BETTER. ONLY PROBLEM I HAVE IS KEEPING TYRES ON THE REAR.
    [​IMG]
    HERE IS THE MOTOR WHEN I FIRST HAD IT IN A COUPE.
    [​IMG]